Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #1

No problem, just some info

I had some serendipity when replacing the shower faucet in our trailer. Our shower surround is in a corner in sort of a triangular shape. The faucet is on a narrow flat panel in the corner. When I removed the faucet, I saw my never before found vacuum breaker which is on the black tank washer. So if your vacuum breaker is ever leaking, and you have a shower in the vicinity check out behind the shower faucet.

By the way, during our PDI I asked the "expert" about the black tank washer as I had never had one before. One of the questions I specifically asked him was whether it had a vacuum breaker. He said, oh no, it's just a straight length of pipe to the washer fitting. Hmmph.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #2

Often times "experts" will always answer your question matter of factly even if they don't know the right answer. They believe that it makes them look smarter than if they simply said "I don't know, but I'll find the answer and get back to you." I have much more respect for the person who says the latter.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #3

Very true on your observation. However, when I read your statement, I could take it as you where talking to the “Expert” about a vacuum breaker on the black washer, and not on the black tank vent. If you go and take a close look at your black tank washer, I would guess there is no back flow preventer (vacuum break).

So I think it ultimately relies on the question maker, to be clear, so people (aka experts) have a full and clear understanding of the question(s). So an accurate answer can be given.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

I definitely agree that asking questions (or giving answers) in a clear and unambiguous manner is sometimes difficult.

To clarify, I was definitely asking the "expert" about the black tank washer. And the vacuum breaker found in the triangular pipe chase behind my shower valve is on the fresh water supply to the black tank washer. The vacuum breaker is at least 3 or 4 feet higher than my black tank, which surprised me ... i don't understand the need for all that height.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #5

I'm no plumber but I've read multiple posts where it was suggested to run the lines above the tank so that the existing water in the line doesn't flow back and out the hose intake area. Why the vacuum breaker was installed that high I don't know either unless it was just a easy place to put it. I think the instructions on the tornado install kit said to put it on the end of the dedicated hose at the faucet.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #6

The vacuum breaker must be installed above the flood level of the fixture for which it serves. The specific height is determined by state code or per manufacturer.
T bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by T bone View Post
The vacuum breaker must be installed above the flood level of the fixture for which it serves. The specific height is determined by state code or per manufacturer.
They installed the vacuum breaker plenty high on my trailer. If the water level ever gets that high, the bed in the upper part of the trailer will be floating and we will be swimming out the emergency exit.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #8

Like I said specific is determined by manufacturer or code in some cases that may be as high as 6'. In any situation other than a manufactured home this situation would be considered as a " high hazard" and would need more restrictive cross connection control. Don't know about you but I don't want to have poo getting into my drinking water.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #9

Do they connect the black tank washout line to the camper water sys? My camper has a separate connection for tank wash out with it's own connector not tied to the camper sys and requires a separate water hookup. I hook this up with a diff color hose to distinguish between drinking water and black tank water so they don't get mixed up. .
PullRite 18k Superglide
Bainbridge, Ga. Extreme Southwest Georgia
Retired: Dewayne 04-22-2010, Judy 01-2011
Mudflaps Camping Club Website https://mudflaps.freeforums.org
A local camping club for S Al, S Ga, N Fl campers
ldlogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #10

Your setup is just like mine. It's a separate water connection for the black tank washer. I use a black hose, that I only use for this one purpose. With the vacuum breaker, I guess that a separate hose is not really needed (assuming all works as it is supposed to) but for use using a separate hose is esthetically required.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #11

Where does that hose hook to? More than likely the water system that supplies the entire campground or you private well at home or a municipal supply. Now there's a sudden drop in water pressure say a main break that creates a negative pressure that sucks your black water back into the supply unknowingly you just contaminated the entire system your hooked to. That's why the vacuum breaker is there. Now you may say well what are the chances of that happening? I say do you want to be the one in a whatever the number may be. The chief principal in plumbing is protecting the states waters. Goes all the way back to London code and the black plague.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #12

The only time I hook up to the wash out connection is when I go to dump at dump station or right before leaving the park with FHU and cleaning out black tank. No reason to hook to it before then IMHO.
PullRite 18k Superglide
Bainbridge, Ga. Extreme Southwest Georgia
Retired: Dewayne 04-22-2010, Judy 01-2011
Mudflaps Camping Club Website https://mudflaps.freeforums.org
A local camping club for S Al, S Ga, N Fl campers
ldlogue is offline   Reply With Quote