Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2019, 11:12 PM   #1

NOCO G3500 while connected to TT

Hey folks,

I have a 174BH which came with the WFCO WF-8735 Power Center. I came from a Jayco Jay Series 1989 tent trailer with a very basic power center.

Does this new power center actually charge my battery when I am on shore power? I have a set of 2 brand new 6V Rolls Batteries (6FS230) wired in series, and they are currently connected to my NOCO G3500 as well as the TT which is plugged into 120v at my house.

Is this overkill/bad for the batteries? Does the WF-8735 really charge the batteries or am I mistaken? nowhere except on marketing brochures does the panel say it charges (no led lights or anything showing which stage of charge it is at).

Thanks in advance!
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Your converter charges your batteries so you don't want to use your NOCO while on shore power. I can post photo's when I get home from work that shows my setup with my NOCO Genius and a battery disconnect switch. The NOCO's are a far superior charger than the converter chargers and that is what I use for my batteries while my coach is stored at my house.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #3

Oh that's awesome, thank you. Makes perfect sense. So you just disconnect from the converter via a switch and let the NOCO do the leg work. Smart because then you have a way to also stop parasitic loads from the TT draining your battery. Do you have the electric brakes always connected or do you just remember to turn the switch on before driving away?

I am interested in seeing your setup as I would also like to put a disconnect switch inline.

How does one find out if the tow vehicle trickle charges through the 7 pin connector while driving? Is that something I would ask Ford (I have a 2018 Explorer XLT with the class 3 tow package)?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #4

The battery selector switch is from Blue Sea Systems. I turn my batteries off and charge with my Battery Tender for the group 27's and the Genius for my J185's.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by distracto View Post
Oh that's awesome, thank you. Makes perfect sense. So you just disconnect from the converter via a switch and let the NOCO do the leg work. Smart because then you have a way to also stop parasitic loads from the TT draining your battery. Do you have the electric brakes always connected or do you just remember to turn the switch on before driving away? We're in a motorhome now.

I am interested in seeing your setup as I would also like to put a disconnect switch inline.

How does one find out if the tow vehicle trickle charges through the 7 pin connector while driving? Is that something I would ask Ford (I have a 2018 Explorer XLT with the class 3 tow package)?
Yes, check your manual for which pin is the charge line.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #6

Thanks for the pictures and answers. That's a super clean and organized wiring job, by the way!

If I add a disconnect switch, I will simply add a small battery to take care of the electric brakes in case i forget to reconnect the battery and the TT breaks away from the TV.

I prefer using my NOCO when on shore power as I trust it and it gives more feedback on charging details than the converter which doesn't display charging progress or anything.

Have the TT in at the fabricator / hitch shop right now and they confirmed there is a charge pin active in the Ford.

Thanks again!