Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #1

Norcold fridge in a slideout - fan?

Quick question,

I know sometimes people modify their Norcold/Dometic fridge intake and exhaust panels with fans to move the air around more efficiently.

I noticed on my Winnebago that I have a 12v fan mounted in my vent stack towards the top, presumably the exhaust panel.

Is that standard, or did Winnebago put something in there of their own volition? I've never had a fridge on a slide out before, so this is new to me. I opened up the panels and went looking when I heard a whirring sound coming from the fridge area that was louder then the little fan I place under the fins inside. I suspect this external fan runs on a T-stat somehow since I don't hear the whirring all the time.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #2
Site Team

My Jayco also had fans in the space between the lower and upper vents. The are controlled by a temp sensitive switch. I added one below blowing up. None of them come on much. I can’t even access the factory ones to check them.

Our norcold has always done well on #3 setting so it’s not a Hot issue for us at the moment.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
Site Team

My Jayco also has fans in the space between the lower and upper vents. The are controlled by a temp sensitive switch. I added one below blowing up. None of them come on much. I can’t even access the factory ones to check them.

Our Norcold has always done well on #3 setting so it’s not a Hot issue for us at the moment.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #4

Good to know ! I thought my little fridge fan lost it's mind when I first heard it !

Old 08-13-2021, 11:37 AM   #5

Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My Jayco also has fans in the space between the lower and upper vents. The are controlled by a temp sensitive switch. I added one below blowing up. None of them come on much. I can’t even access the factory ones to check them.

Our Norcold has always done well on #3 setting so it’s not a Hot issue for us at the moment.
Norty1, I'm curious, is your fridge mounted in a slide, or roof vented? It's model?
My Norcold 2118 (slide mounted) is usually set at 3, and my fans are nearly always running when the fridge is running.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #6

Refrigerators in a slide have access to the fans from the upper vent. Refrigerators with a roof vent, fan access is by pulling the refrigerator out. A real pain.
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Norty1, I'm curious, is your fridge mounted in a slide, or roof vented? It's model?
My Norcold 2118 (slide mounted) is usually set at 3, and my fans are nearly always running when the fridge is running.
Looking at the specs for his, it’s mounted in a slide.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Quick question,

I know sometimes people modify their Norcold/Dometic fridge intake and exhaust panels with fans to move the air around more efficiently.

I noticed on my Winnebago that I have a 12v fan mounted in my vent stack towards the top, presumably the exhaust panel.

Is that standard, or did Winnebago put something in there of their own volition? I've never had a fridge on a slide out before, so this is new to me. I opened up the panels and went looking when I heard a whirring sound coming from the fridge area that was louder then the little fan I place under the fins inside. I suspect this external fan runs on a T-stat somehow since I don't hear the whirring all the time.
If you remove the top vent, you should see the fan at the top. Mine has 2 of them up there. Norcold 4 door.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #9

I do not believe frig fans are standard on all makes and models. We have been looking at new campers for the past couple years. Sales people must think I am crazy. When we find a camper like, I snoop through every access panel possible, reach my phone in ones the I figure the sales people would not like me to open. I look really closely at the features and build.

My experience not all campers have fans in the frig service area. I have not seen an OEM fan in a camper that has a roof top vent. Have heard of them, but have not seen one yet.

Frigs in slide outs, it appears to be a mix if there is an OEM fan or not. Might be standard on some model lines or brands. Without a ladder, it is really hard to gain access to the upper vent to view.

It is nice you have one in your new Winnie, personally you should investigate the fan, and how it works. If you boondock much it might be worth adding a manual shutoff switch. Also is it wired so it only works if the frig is on? If not the fan could wear out quickly.

Have fun with that new Winnie.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #10

We own the same model as Norty but ours is a couple of years newer. The rear vent fans are not accessible from the top vent on ours. I’ve pulled the fridge twice to replace them and with some help it’s manageable but is an effort. In fact, I cannot see the fans. Was able to verify they were not working by using the cell to take some pics. I might be able to replace them by pulling the fridge partially out but haven’t verified that yet. I think next time I’ll put fans in the top opening that are accessible.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Sorry, I thought I posted an answer but it didn't take. My fans are hard to see and I have seen them by sticking a phone and taking a pic. thru the top vent on my slideout. No way to get to them without removing some baffles. I am pretty sure the sensor is bad or loose but I can't see it either.

We did not know they were there for a few years after we heard a noise and traced it to the fans running.

There was nothing in my owners manual about them and the salesman did not know about them. I had already installed a muffin fan down low blowing up before we found out about them.

It did take, post #3
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

It is nice you have one in your new Winnie, personally you should investigate the fan, and how it works. If you boondock much it might be worth adding a manual shutoff switch. Also is it wired so it only works if the frig is on? If not the fan could wear out quickly.

Have fun with that new Winnie.
The fan seems to be wired to the fridge power. When I turned the fridge off, the fan definitely stopped spinning.

Thanks for the well wishes - we’re hoping we have a keeper !

Old 08-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #13
Site Team

If I ever get motivated to check out why mine don't work, I may relocate them up higher and see if the thermal switch is bad. The one I added does not work but its the thermal sensors cause I can bypass it and turn it on.

Really mine has always done well and we do park in some sunny spots at least part of the day. Fridge has always been great.

I think many of us read about some mods and say, "I need that" when we really just want to put a good idea into practice whether we need it or not. I do!

I forgot one of my mantras, If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!
Gator roll-up bed cover