Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #1

Not getting AC to refrigerator

Midway thru a 2 week trip we moved about 100 miles to a new campground. When we got ther the refrigerator would not power up up on AC. It worked fine on propane so we finished the trip running on propane. When we got home I found that the refrigerator works fine when I plug it into an outlet directly. The problem is that the outlet that it plugs into on our 256 Eagle Superlite under the loveseat in the slide out has no power.

ALL other outlets on the trailer work fine. Wrote to Jayco for schematic and the trailer does not seem to match the schematic. The wiring runs out the bottom of the slide and into the forward slide rail, WHERE does it go from there??? According to the schematic it is a straight shot to the GFI plug int the kitchen. That plug works fine no has power coming out of it!

Long winded, sorry. Frustrated.
RnTsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:53 AM   #2

Have you pulled the receptacles and checked the connections. They are push in and not screwed so one may have come loose.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnTsmith View Post
Midway thru a 2 week trip we moved about 100 miles to a new campground. When we got ther the refrigerator would not power up up on AC. It worked fine on propane so we finished the trip running on propane. When we got home I found that the refrigerator works fine when I plug it into an outlet directly. The problem is that the outlet that it plugs into on our 256 Eagle Superlite under the loveseat in the slide out has no power.

ALL other outlets on the trailer work fine. Wrote to Jayco for schematic and the trailer does not seem to match the schematic. The wiring runs out the bottom of the slide and into the forward slide rail, WHERE does it go from there??? According to the schematic it is a straight shot to the GFI plug int the kitchen. That plug works fine no has power coming out of it!

Long winded, sorry. Frustrated.
fridge should not be on the GFI circuit. Can you use a volt meter and a screw driver?

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #4

My Greyhawk shows the fridge on its own breaker. I would reset that breaker even if it looks OK. If it isn't on its own breaker then reset them all. Won't hurt a thing.

Like previously mentioned, pull the receptacle out and check the wires. If it is good at that end, the next step would be to check the wire connections at the breaker. The wiring checks should be done with the rig unplugged to prevent any problems with a loose wire touching anything else.

Voltage checks at each end of the wire would be next.

I attached a couple of troubleshooting docs that may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 5 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #5

Troubleshooting Fridge

Thank you for the advice. Yes I am comfortable troubleshooting electrical components and wiring. The schematic i got from Jayco does not match what I have. I have attached the schematic that they sent. The fridge is plugged into the outlet that is located next to the junction box under the love seat in the slide out. There is no power at that junction box or outlet. There is another JB located inline with the breaker but I cant locate that JB. The wire from the JB that the fridge plugs into runs under the slide and then down the forward slide channel. Would the JB be outside the body of the trailer? I have a liner covering the bottom of the trailer and would hate to have to pull it if I don't have to.
Attached Thumbnails
E25B78EB-2292-4578-A064-B26DFBEB4E8B_1_105_c.jpeg  
Old 02-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. Yes I am comfortable troubleshooting electrical components and wiring. The schematic i got from Jayco does not match what I have. I have attached the schematic that they sent. The fridge is plugged into the outlet that is located next to the junction box under the love seat in the slide out. There is no power at that junction box or outlet. There is another JB located inline with the breaker but I cant locate that JB. The wire from the JB that the fridge plugs into runs under the slide and then down the forward slide channel. Would the JB be outside the body of the trailer? I have a liner covering the bottom of the trailer and would hate to have to pull it if I don't have to.
yes, two J-boxes to accommodate the outlet in the slide. It is for making the transition from Romex to rubber cord. Don't know if it is inside the rails or not. I would think it would be outside the rail and close to the slide.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:12 PM   #7

Ok that explains the 2 JB. I followed the rubber chord wire from the JB, it drops thru the bottom of the slide and is routed along the bottom of the slide and then turns and runs down the center of the forward slide rail. It then disappears under the bottom of the trailer that is covered with the material that covers the bottom of the trailer. Any idea where that cable might go from there? According the the schematic, it then goes to the GFCI outlet in the kitchen. That outlet has power to it. That is why I am confused.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Ok that explains the 2 JB. I followed the rubber chord wire from the JB, it drops thru the bottom of the slide and is routed along the bottom of the slide and then turns and runs down the center of the forward slide rail. It then disappears under the bottom of the trailer that is covered with the material that covers the bottom of the trailer. Any idea where that cable might go from there? According the the schematic, it then goes to the GFCI outlet in the kitchen. That outlet has power to it. That is why I am confused.
open that outlet and see how many wires are in it. Could be some loose connections there.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
fridge should not be on the GFI circuit. Can you use a volt meter and a screw driver?
Unfortunately rv dual fuel frigs are connected to the bathroom gfi outlets. Or at least everyone i have owned.

I'm guessing you have a loose wire connection. If you have the schematics. I would start at the frig and work backwards toward the circuit panel. Check for voltage at the receptacle. Remove the outlet, check for voltage at the wire connections. Still now power, where does the frig line come from, check the voltage at that outlet, then pull it, and check the connections.

What I do not like about campers, is it is really easy to unplug to work on the power. What I don't like, a kid, neighbor, someone, can see the unplugged cord, and know it should be plugged in. Thinking they are being helpful, plug it back in at a bad time.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Unfortunately rv dual fuel frigs are connected to the bathroom gfi outlets. Or at least everyone i have owned.

I'm guessing you have a loose wire connection. If you have the schematics. I would start at the frig and work backwards toward the circuit panel. Check for voltage at the receptacle. Remove the outlet, check for voltage at the wire connections. Still now power, where does the frig line come from, check the voltage at that outlet, then pull it, and check the connections.

What I do not like about campers, is it is really easy to unplug to work on the power. What I don't like, a kid, neighbor, someone, can see the unplugged cord, and know it should be plugged in. Thinking they are being helpful, plug it back in at a bad time.
Address this to RnTsmith. Not me.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:17 PM   #11

Follow up question

Thank you to all that gave advice, i found the problem(see attached pictures). I found damaged wires in a junction box that was mounted to the floor under the stove and behind the power distribution panel. I am assuming that these wires shorted out due to a sink that developed a bad faucet and flooded the trailer. This happened during the trip and is obvious what caused the fridge to stop working.

My question is, can I cut out the damaged wires and reconnect them per the schematic? I know the wires may have been stressed so I am asking you guys for advice. I have plenty of wire to cut the wires back and start over, or is the risk great enough that I should replace the wires that is either going to be very expensive or a learning experience for me.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4738.jpg   IMG_4741.jpg   IMG_4744.jpg  
Old 03-05-2021, 05:26 PM   #12

For the stranded copper lines, the moisture could have "wicked" pretty far down the wire, and would eventually cause corrosion. How long that would take? Who knows, but it can & does happen.

I had some wire nuts come loose in my main shore power J-box and cause a short; looked a lot like your pictures. I cut the damaged portion off and re-attached (of course better than it was done before that, they should NOT come loose again...). But my situation didn't involve water, and the only braided lines in there were for the shore power cord; the others were Romex.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #13
Site Team

If I had your situation, I would cut a wire back past the damage and strip it. If the copper wire is discolored, either green from corrosion, or black from heat, cut it back some more until you get to new copper color. Then it'll be ok to reconnect it there. Repeat that on the others ones, and you should be good.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #14

set another J-box next to this one. Cut the wires back as far as necessary. Add new wires. make new connections.