Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

OK to remove battery when TT parked in driveway, on shore power

Hi,
Just wanted to make sure that it was okay to remove the battery from the TT, I needed to do so because of possible theft, apparently people are stealing that kind of thing where I live if not the whole trailer...

Anyhow, I have TT connected to the 30 amp outlet I had installed at the house, I did have to disconnect the propane alarm fuse, but I guess that's a normal thing to have to do? Mine kept alarming after I disconnected the battery.

As far as the battery goes, it's sitting in my garage, and I was thinking maybe I would go out and check the voltage on it today and if it's running low, I have a genius battery trickle charger that I could put on it, if I need to.
How often should I check the battery? (I need to keep the charger on my SUV).

Oh, almost forgot!
Could somebody please tell me how do I remove the top of the battery to check the fluid level? I can't really see where or how to do that. Maybe there is a YouTube video? Anyone have a link?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165
2004 Lexus GX470
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #2

Yes it’s ok as long as when the rv is plugged in you have the positive lead for the battery insulated as the converter has 13.4 volts going to it and if it comes in contact with ground you’ll have a nice fire on your hands.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #3

Thanks Vicr!!!!
I just left the 2 connection wires dangling in the battery box!!! :/ Oops!
But....
After reading a reply that somebody else posted here along with watching a video that he posted
--by the way I have no idea where that post went to? And I replied to it thanking the person for posting as well! Both are gone!?
Anyways, today I went out there and turned off the refrigerator and unplugged the 30amp, since it's in storage, there's no real reason to keep it plugged in right now.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165
2004 Lexus GX470
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:39 PM   #4

Hopefully you cracked to door on the refrigerator after you turned it off. Not allowing air circulation will cause a nasty smelling refer in the spring.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #5

Your battery may be maintenance free, and there is no way to check the water level. If not, there would normally be two rectangular caps on the top that pop off and reveal 3 compartments each that you could monitor the water level and/or add water.
Empty nesters - traded bunk beds for recliners

States camped in:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50318_3.gif
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, disconnect