Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #1

On demand water heater experiences

Our soon to be delivered trailer comes with the optional on demand water heater. As excited as I am about the possibility of longer showers, I am a little pessimistic on how well that will really work.

Can anyone with experience with this item tell me:
1. Does it really work well?
2. Is it as great as it sounds?
3. How do you winterize one of those?
4. Is it gas/electric or just gas?
5. Are you glad you have one?
6. Any other experiences with it. . .

Thanks much!
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #2

1. Wife and Daughter love it.
2. With a RV nothing is as great as it sounds.
3. Look at the manual not a problem.
4. Gas.
5. Wife and Daughter love it.
6. It has to have good water pressure.
If pressure is not good just put water in the fresh water tank and use the pump.
Works best when you set the temperature and just use the hot water.
Also works best when no other water is running elsewhere in the trailer.
So far ours has been working pretty good.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
1. Wife and Daughter love it.
2. With a RV nothing is as great as it sounds.
3. Look at the manual not a problem.
4. Gas.
5. Wife and Daughter love it.
6. It has to have good water pressure.
If pressure is not good just put water in the fresh water tank and use the pump.
Works best when you set the temperature and just use the hot water.
Also works best when no other water is running elsewhere in the trailer.
So far ours has been working pretty good.
Same answer as above... plus one more-
After Wife and daughter are done taking their long showers... you can have a long one right after they are done... no waiting for the heater to catch up.

On the downside... it takes a moment to heat up and deliver hot water to the rest of the RV. In a RV Park with full hookups, that is not so important. If you are dry camping and conserving water, then the wife and daughter better be taking short army showers anyways or the fresh water tank will be empty in no time.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Same answer as above... plus one more-
After Wife and daughter are done taking their long showers... you can have a long one right after they are done... no waiting for the heater to catch up.

On the downside... it takes a moment to heat up and deliver hot water to the rest of the RV. In a RV Park with full hookups, that is not so important. If you are dry camping and conserving water, then the wife and daughter better be taking short army showers anyways or the fresh water tank will be empty in no time.
And your gray water tank will fill up faster!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #5

#1 Keep the filters clean. Dirty filters reduce pressure. I have heard some remove the house filter and use big exterior filters (easier to monitor?) to ensure good pressure. Did I say keep the filters clean?

#2 You'll have to wear the title of "Glamper" not camper.

We love ours

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
#1 Keep the filters clean. Dirty filters reduce pressure. I have heard some remove the house filter and use big exterior filters (easier to monitor?) to ensure good pressure. Did I say keep the filters clean?

#2 You'll have to wear the title of "Glamper" not camper.

We love ours
No worries with #2. I have plenty of practice "camping" in the most austere locations around. Retired from that life.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
1. Does it really work well?
2. Is it as great as it sounds?
3. How do you winterize one of those?
4. Is it gas/electric or just gas?
5. Are you glad you have one?
6. Any other experiences with it. . .
I am prefacing this response with the assumption that you are using a Girard "tankless" on demand water heater since that is the one most commonly installed by Jayco in their trailers. I say "tankless" because I will bring that up in a bit. I also don't want you to take anything below as a condemnation of the Girard because when it works, it is fantastic. But for some, it just isn't the right "fit". So although I am going to be blunt and truthful with OUR experience, just know there are many others out there that thoroughly enjoy their Girards.

1. It can, and it might not. In my opinion, the Girard is based on "residential" type on demand water heater technology, only shrunk down to fit in a standard RV water heater enclosure. It has a single stage burner that is either on or off and requires a pretty specific amount of water flow/pressure to operate correctly. If your water pressure/flow is insufficient to make it operate properly, things like removing flow restrictors in the faucet/shower can help and it may be necessary to fill your fresh water tank and use the pump at times in parks where enough pressure/flow just isn't possible no matter what you do.

2. Again, it can and it might not. As long as you provide the Girard with sufficient water pressure/flow and follow the operating instructions, which basically says to set a temperature on the control panel and not mix any cold water in, once you have the hot flowing, don't turn it off until your done, and don't run water from another place in the RV that can affect pressure/flow, it truly does provide a great experience.

3. Never winterized ours when we had it, but as posted earlier, check out the manual. Easy Peasy.

4. Propane only for the burner and 12v required for the ignition. I have seen a post or two about someone retro fitting a small residential electric on demand water system to their RV's but that's asking a lot with an OEM wired RV.

5. Yes. We ordered our Eagle with the Girard knowing the up and downsides to having one so weren't really surprised by anything. And since we are seasonal and have no plans to boondock/dry camp which are two things an "on demand" water heater are not really designed for. They do waste a bit more water than a traditional gas/electric water heater does solely due to their design.

6. We had to have ours replaced twice in the first year. If you have ANY issues with it, call Girard directly vs. your dealer or Jayco. Their support was fantastic in our interactions with them and bent over backwards to make sure we got our issues addressed asap. With that being said, the first unit replacement was because the source water at our site in Florida was too warm to begin with and the unit kept overheating and shutting down. Seems it requires a somewhat cold water (but not too cold) flow to keep it from doing that. Also seen reports of those up north having issues where the incoming water was too cold and the Girard could never heat it to the set temp. The fix for our issue was to replace the ECO chip with a higher shutoff limit. They sent us a new unit with the updated chip in it and paid for an on site RV repair service to swap it out since we were 1500 miles from home. Second replacement was due to a faulty cooling fan that made a LOT of noise. Again, shipped a new unit and paid to have it swapped out on our site. Can't ask for better service than that!

But having to constantly deal with the Girard's limitations on a daily basis for months at a time as well as having to have it replaced twice in a year just got to be too much of a hassle for us. We just wanted something much closer to a "residential" experience and the Girard just wasn't doing it for us.

So after a year or so with the Girard and all it's quirks, we opted to replace it with a Truma AquaGo Comfort model, which is really a "hybrid" vs. a true tankless because it does have a 1 gal "mixing tank" that allows it to basically operate just like a traditional tanked water heater, but also provide truly unlimited hot water as well.

At the end of the day, as long as you operate the Girard in an environment and within it's design limitations, it can and will provide a great experience. But also know that the Girard on demand water heater is NOT necessarily a "step up" from a traditional gas/electric water heater, ESPECIALLY if your into boondocking, dry camping, or stay where you don't have full hookups and decent water pressure. There will be a "learning curve" in getting to know just how to operate it properly, and some minor modifications to your faucets/shower heads may be necessary (removal of flow restrictors or replacing shower head with an Oxygenics), because Jayco didn't bother to optimize your RV's plumbing to suit the Girard's quirkiness, which tends to cause a lot of frustration as well.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #8

Tankless

I mostly agree with bluejay40 & yes we replaced our Girard with the Truma Comfort after many frustrations with the Girard
Girard customer service is very helpful but they wil not pay for your replacements and if you have not documented the multiple issues with Jayco then you pay but if Jayco has this documentation ( even though they have known issues - it is on you to prove it with documentation ) then Jayco will warranty it and many more problems that you may encounter ( Harris Batteries )
If you are still in the ordering process some upgrades can be negotiated into the sale ( batteries ). Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #9

This is great information from all. I truly appreciate all the insight!

The change from trailers to a 5er brings a few challenges. The water heater is but one of them. We have lots of camping experience, and short showers have always been the norm. I always hated that in the military, though. . . . We do adapt pretty well to whatever situation we are in, but some things become too much pain to put up with repetitively.

I removed our Oxygenics shower head from the totaled trailer. That will go back into the new trailer. We have a sewer tote. We have a water transfer pump that fills the tank with ease from our water jugs.

We camp 50% in state parks with electric only. We dry camp 40% of the time on BLM/National Forrest and NF campgrounds. We are only at full hookup sites 10% of the time. It doesn't sound like our camping style will be the best fit for this heater, but we will certainly give it the full run to see if we can make it work for us.

I get that a shot of cold water isn't joyful, if you turn it off and then on again. Can you simply turn the water on halfway (or less) to keep the heater running and flip it on higher to rinse off?

Thanks Again!!
Old 10-07-2018, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
This is great information from all. I truly appreciate all the insight!

The change from trailers to a 5er brings a few challenges. The water heater is but one of them. We have lots of camping experience, and short showers have always been the norm. I always hated that in the military, though. . . . We do adapt pretty well to whatever situation we are in, but some things become too much pain to put up with repetitively.

I removed our Oxygenics shower head from the totaled trailer. That will go back into the new trailer. We have a sewer tote. We have a water transfer pump that fills the tank with ease from our water jugs.

We camp 50% in state parks with electric only. We dry camp 40% of the time on BLM/National Forrest and NF campgrounds. We are only at full hookup sites 10% of the time. It doesn't sound like our camping style will be the best fit for this heater, but we will certainly give it the full run to see if we can make it work for us.

I get that a shot of cold water isn't joyful, if you turn it off and then on again. Can you simply turn the water on halfway (or less) to keep the heater running and flip it on higher to rinse off?

Thanks Again!!
You can try but then your also limiting the flow rate, which the Girard's need a lot of. The Girard requires quite a high flow rate of about 9/10 of a gallon a minute MINIMUM and about 35-40# of constant water pressure just to keep the burner lit. Otherwise, either the flow sensor will shut down the burner for insufficient flow or the burner will overheat the water because it's not passing thru the unit fast enough and again, it will shut down due to overheating. The other side of this same coin when running off your fresh water tank and no sewer is that this much water flow will quickly fill your gray tanks as well. So the common recommendation with the Girard is to not only run the hot water wide open but not to mix cold but rather adjust the temperature on the control panel and expect to empty your gray tanks often. Depending on your fresh water/gray tank capacities, you might make it work but you won't know until you try.