Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #1

Onan Generator install

I am picking up my 377 rlbh 5th wheel in a couple weeks and was able to get my hands on a new (4 hours) onan gq5500 evap.. not a clue how to hook it up, where to put the fuel supply or what kind/ size fuel supply(gasoline) and can I hook direct to a 50 amp receptacle and then hook my 50 amp supplied power cord to it? That sounds too simple for that to work. Any and all advice is appreciated... or is the process too much and I should just go with a diesel generator. I will be running only generator power for at least a year. The 5th wheel is not wired for a generator but is brand new.
Hurricane Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #2

Not sure your skill level but since you do not have the generator prep package there are several things that have to be done. I have not installed one of these but i know my generator prep came with some of the following things done already.

wiring to transfer switch to supply power to camper
wiring to remote start switch and hour meter where the main switches are located
front compartment sealed and braced for generator
extra propane tank plumbed in for propane generator (does not apply to you though)

once installed you have to make sure the exhaust is ran out of the front compartment properly.

since it is gas I believe the unit has a tank on it so you just fill that when necessary.

Might want to ask your dealer how much they would charge to install it.

I don't have first hand experience with the onboard onan since I use a 2000 watt portable inverter generator. But have considered installing one at some point myself.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #3

I would just suck it up a little and go to a Cummins dealer!Had a buddy do an install himself. Heard some new swear words that day I never heard before. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
quartsite flag XX.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #4

You will be better off with a free standing unit in my opinion for that length of time.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

Those generators do not have an on board gas tank. You must have a fuel line running to a gas tank and you'll need to know the fuel inlet pressure requirements and have a fuel pump to match. Your looking at a lot of work and we haven't even touched on the electrical side of things.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #6

Thanks yall... I'm going to talk with my dealer later today, but now I'm leaning more towards just using the diesel generator... fill it, plug it , and move on. I had a feeling this might be a big project. The external fuel supply is what I really dont like, but I'll see which way the dealer directs me along with the responses here.. thanks again
Hurricane Bay is offline   Reply With Quote