Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2018, 05:21 AM   #1

Outdated TV's are still being installed in new RV's and no solar yet.

The biggest question is why are RV manufacture's still installing 1080P TV's when almost everyone has switched to 4k? In 2 years or 3 years the standard will be 8K all of our RV's electronics will be very out dated.

The other question why isn't there an option to get a complete solar system factory installed? Not just wiring for solar.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:51 AM   #2

I still have a 720p Samsung tv as the only one in my house.... works great.

It’s all price, like everything else in an RV. If they put top of the line materials in your average trailer would go from 30k to 80k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:26 AM   #3

Look on the Web to find current prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
I still have a 720p Samsung tv as the only one in my house.... works great.

It’s all price, like everything else in an RV. If they put top of the line materials in your average trailer would go from 30k to 80k.

I see you have a Eagle HT. The HT is part of the eagle family but they have to use lighter materials to get the weight down and sometime cut quality in the process. On a eagle non HT it's build with the latest and greatest. We pay more for that to begin with.

The current price on a 4K 50" TV is under $349 retail. Manufactures like Jayco pay much less because of the volume they buy. It will not raise the price of the RV much if at all.
2015 Silverado 2500
Old 01-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #4

Same reason they come with a crummy spring mattress, they are cheap. I can live with a 1080P TV, the spring mattress I couldn't. Lol
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #5

That is your biggest question? You must have everything else figured out.

Before I ask the question of why they only offer 1080p tv's, I would have the question of why do people buy their tv's directly from the RV dealer? When we bought ours, they wanted $400 for a 32" tv. I bought my own tv for about half that price and installed it myself.

So, to answer your questions... you can just decline the overpriced, under optioned, non brand television that the RV manufacturer specs out (likely as the lowest bidder) and simply buy your own tv in any configuration that YOU want.

I have to imagine that a lot of RVers use their tv in a similar way that I do... to get the kids inside for a little quiet time in the middle of a hot day in the summer, for the occasional camping trip when it rains, and briefly before bed. For those reasons, I don't need a 4K, I don't "need" a 1080p and could easily get bye with a 720p.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
Same reason they come with a crummy spring mattress, they are cheap. I can live with a 1080P TV, the spring mattress I couldn't. Lol
Ha, no kidding. Memory foam mattress from Walmart made camping so much better!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #7

We camp alot off grid and are avid tent campers from the 60S and 70s. Having the TV sets is great for us. We spend most of our time outside doing something during the day and then get settled down for supper after the sun starts going down so the TV SET is the perfect campsite event for us to have. Always like to keep tabs on the local WX situation being in a OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer.

Even in the 60s with the tent camping days always had a TV to watch after supper... Just part of being aware of our surroundings for us.

ALot of folks seem to think that watching TV when camping doesn't fit with the 'REAL' camping schemes. Never bothered us what others wanted to do...

We watch HDTV every night before going to bed using our BATWING OTA antenna pointed to local towns and check-in with the kids using our Verizon MIFI connections or cell phone over the internet and listen to country music whenever we can.

Roys image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
The biggest question is why are RV manufacture's still installing 1080P TV's when almost everyone has switched to 4k? In 2 years or 3 years the standard will be 8K all of our RV's electronics will be very out dated.
The 1080P tv will not be outdated. The digital signal that supports 4K will still be used by 1080P, just take up even more bandwidth. Right now there is little 4K available though that will change sometime in the future. Stations will have to upgrade their transmission equipment for the 4K pictures.

Right now there are FM radio stations broadcasting an HD signal, but is you clock or vehicle radio out of date and you aren't receiving a signal?

If you want the newest toy in the box, then go out and buy it. But like computers, there will be a newer, more innovated version by the time you open that box.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #9

RE: Television. They are ultra cheap. Everything in most RV's are the cheapest thing the manufacturer can get their hands on.

Why did Jayco put a FIC 3500-2 power tongue jack on my Jay Flight?
Because they are probably cheaper than dirt. It's a Chinese off brand jack.
Why not put a brand name like Barker or Husky or Atwood? Because those are more expensive.

Quote:

The other question why isn't there an option to get a complete solar system factory installed? Not just wiring for solar.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #10

4k Broadcast's OTA/Cable of any type is still YEARS away for one. So you're left with Streaming or UHD BluRay. Streaming while on the road is pretty much a no-go as you'd blow through cellular data in about 20 minutes, no to mention essentially sitting under an uncongested tower. Then you miss the most obvious thing, 4K will make no difference at the screen sizes found in trailers at the viewing distance's found in trailers. So 4K is completely pointless in an RV. We're starting to get into the same territory with TV's that we did with digital cameras. While in simplest terms more pixels equals better image, that sadly is just not always true.

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #11

RV manufacture's are about one thing money!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
RV manufacture's are about one thing money!
Isn't it wonderful you don't have to purchase an RV and give your money to these evil capitalists. You have free will.

RV manufacturers have done a fantastic job of building an AFFORDABLE RV that the average user uses a few weeks a year. Many also offer a much higher level of amenities that you may want to look at, but, ,be prepared to pay 2, 3 or more times more to get everything you want.

You really think your stick and brick would last bouncing down a road at 70 mph?

I remember the industry in the 50's when as a kid I worked at a Mobile home sales that included TT. They were small, with not much more than a table that became a bed and small "ice chest" for your food..And price wise, they cost more in todays dollars than the current models.

Have we really become a country of whiners? Don't feel what you purchase is worth the price, don't buy it. IF people stopped buying things, then those things would disappear along with the evil companies.

I know I'm not perfect and I don't expect others to be perfect, heck even Jesus Christ couldn't satisfy everyone, how could we expect anyone else?

I guess I don't expect perfection and by doing do I'm rarely disappointed. We camp about 180 days a year and are very happy with the RV's we have had over the years. Our current Jayco is as good as any of them and I would but it again. An RV takes more maintenance than a stick and brick just because of what it is and what it does. When I was building cabinets I would get questions about how long a new kitchen would last, I said I have no clue. I've gone into homes we put cabinet in and 6 months later they looked like they had been in a war zone. Kids using a stack of drawers as a ladder to climb onto the countertops, or swinging on the doors and everything you can imagine spilled all over the wood cabinets..and I've been in others that were 25 years since we did their cabinets and they looked as good as the day we installed them. Sadly we don't want to look within and ask if our expectations are realistic or not. WE all want to spend the least we can, and still expect to get the best that can be. What's the old adage, you can have it fast, or cheap or good, but not all three.

In every industry, including the RV industry we have all price points aimed at different demographics, you can get anything you want. As I told people when they wanted a new kitchen, I can give you anything you want including that huge kitchen you saw on TV, if you have the space, OR if you have the money I'll make the space.

I'm for one surprised at how much the RV industry gives us for the relatively low cost. None of them are getting rich on any RV, they make a little on a large number of them, and, most customers keep coming back for another one when they are in the market. Good companies in business for decades must be doing most things right..

Happy Camping, sorry for the vent....

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #13

It's all about the bucks... the less they spend, the more they make... So get ready for everything in there to be cheap.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #14

Quote:

4k requires over 20Mbit/sec of internet bandwidth to play. That's easy in a big city connected to a cable modem, but you're never going to get it over shared wifi in a KOA. :-)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
sjsamdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #15

Factory solar

I would never be happy with the cheap solar system that the factory would supply - design your own based on your needs & battery capacity - we have 560 watts & 4 Trojan T-105 batteries - my solar is more than we need ( great on cloudy days ) 6 Trojan T-105s would be awesome but 4 is good ( we never have gone below 60% charge )

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #16

Believe it or not I still have a old tv that was in a camper that ran on 12v and its color and still works
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #17

Quote:
The current price on a 4K 50" TV is under $349 retail. Manufactures like Jayco pay much less because of the volume they buy. It will not raise the price of the RV much if at all.
My goodness - 50"?
The biggest one in our Greyhawk is 32".

4K would go unnoticed.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
My goodness - 50"?
The biggest one in our Greyhawk is 32".

4K would go unnoticed.
If you haven't seen the difference between 1080p and 4k. It's a big noticeable difference close to comparing analog to 1080p and you do notice it on smaller sizes.

Yes 50" in fact my 2018 Eagle has a 49" factory installed but it's 1080P. I travel with Directv they broadcast in 4K so I don't need local over the air to be 4k. Local TV's stations won't switch for at least 10 years then it will be at least 8k if not something even better.

If fact I was at Sam's Club yesterday walked by a display of 75" Visio's Tv's 4K at $1379.00. Remember that 8k is out and will take the place of 4k in 2 to 3 years just read the trade news on electronics.

Here in Wisconsin Foxconn is currently building a 20 million square foot building to start building 8k LCD's. Once this plant starts shipping prices will drop in the USA.
2015 Silverado 2500
Old 01-18-2018, 05:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
I would never be happy with the cheap solar system that the factory would supply - design your own based on your needs & battery capacity - we have 560 watts & 4 Trojan T-105 batteries - my solar is more than we need ( great on cloudy days ) 6 Trojan T-105s would be awesome but 4 is good ( we never have gone below 60% charge )
Les thanks for your response. I have been looking into it. It's a large learning curve. We use a lot of power. Blow Dryer, 2 TV's, Directv, LCD lights, Fans, Refer, Microwave, Mr coffee. But it's the weight of the battery's not the price that scares me I not wealthy so lithium is out of the question. 10- T-105 would do the job. I'm almost thinking to install a self contained unit in the pickup bed all Solar parts including Battery's. Then plug the RV into that unit as if I was plugging into a power plug.

What would that look like is panels on roof and ground, MC4 plugs Large box to house all to a fuse to cut off switch then MPPT controllers to breaker to battery to pure sine wave inverter Magnum 4000 to Cut off switch to RV 50AMP male plug. Then plug the RV 50AMP female in.

Since we use the blow dryer 5 mins per person per day. Microwave 10 mins per day I think the battery's can handle that. TV is on 6 hours a day two pots of coffee a day. LCD lights 7 Hours per day fan is on 12 hours. On paper the power consummation works out to less the 25% but time will tell.

I'm not touching the house battery that will recharge off the new solar system.
2015 Silverado 2500
Old 01-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #20

By the way, a 1080P TV is far from being outdated. In fact, I just got a Sony 1080p 52" screen TV for my house last year. When studying them, I found there was not nearly enough 4K content out there to justify paying the extra for the 4K experience.

I suspect by the time I have to buy another TV, there will be more 4K shows and will be worth paying the money for a 4K TV, or 1080p TVs will no longer be available.

Quote:

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote