Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #1

Outside hydro

We have our trailer parked at a seasonal site. I want to run power to our shed. Is there a easy place to get power outside, Presently using the out side receptical but would rather some more permenent.
Nicker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #2

I am not an electrician.

If I understand your question, you are considering providing electricity to a shed near your RV by connecting to the AC electrical supply in your trailer. There are two issues with this that as a layman I'm concerned about:
1) If your trailer has a 30 amp supply - that's barely enough to power the trailer, without also having to power whatever equipment you might need to use in the shed.
2) Grounding: the neutral and the ground in a trailer are not bonded together; the neutral and the ground in a building are supposed to be bonded together. But you could not bond the supply in the shed without also effectively bonding the system in the trailer, which would not be a good idea.

Electricians may have a much better answer for you and hopefully one will reply.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #3

Can you simple pull power from the pedestal to the shed, and bypass the RV system altogether?

If you do investigate this - remember that the power inside the pedestal is hot ahead of the breakers.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

I had to think this through for a minute - but RVhiker is correct here:

2) Grounding: the neutral and the ground in a trailer are not bonded together; the neutral and the ground in a building are supposed to be bonded together. But you could not bond the supply in the shed without also effectively bonding the system in the trailer, which would not be a good idea.

If you did this, you would effectively be making the chassis of the RV an electrical conductor (because it has no earth ground)

this said - if you are simply running an outdoor grade extension cord to some device in the shed, it’s no different from plugging that device directly into the outlet on the side of the RV. The concern comes in if/when anything in the shed establishes a ground to earth.

I still think direct from the pedestal is the right answer, where the feed to the shed should be protected by its own breaker. GFI in the shed should be used

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #5

Great idea , never thought of grabbing it from the pole.

Thanks
Nicker22 is offline   Reply With Quote