Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #1

Outside speakers

I just replaced my outside speakers on my white hawk. There was clear caulk around the speaker but on the inside was this flexible type caulk to protect it even more. Can someone explain to me what I need to put on the inside of the speakers?
Attached Thumbnails
92331B43-B2A4-4F01-89C4-AAAEF8008C58.jpg  
SouthGAcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #2

I did that last year, it's nothing special, that's just an RV type putty used to seal vents etc., onto aluminum or fiberglass. It does a better job filling in the irregularities of aluminum siding than anything else. I used a thick bead of the putty and installed into place, fasten and let the excess ooze out, smooth over, done!

I actually installed good quality marine grade speakers, needed more mounting depth so I also installed spacers. In my case, the spacers were installed with the putty and the speakers fastened to the spacers with supplied gasket. I did apply a small amount of silicone to the seam between the speaker and the spacer.......just in case!

I also changed out the head unit and interior speakers as well. The OEM stuff is crap, changed to a Kenwood deck and Alpine speakers on the inside with Kenwood Marine speakers outside.........sounds great.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #3

For some reason I decided to go back with factory furrion speakers for now, just not sure how long I'll keep this camper before going bigger. Where do u get that putty from and would u use a different clear caulk on the outside of speakers once their in place or no?
Old 08-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthGAcampers View Post
For some reason I decided to go back with factory furrion speakers for now, just not sure how long I'll keep this camper before going bigger. Where do u get that putty from and would u use a different clear caulk on the outside of speakers once their in place or no?
Any RV place will have it....if you are just remounting the new speaker into the existing opening, clean off as much of the old putty as you can, put a healthy bead of putty (or use putty tape) on the new speaker, press into place, fasten, might need to remove some of the excess that oozed out so as not to have too much to smooth over with a finger....that's it, nothing else needed.

You can use Butyl putty tape as well but really not necessary for a speaker install.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #5

Sweet, thanks for the tip. I'm new to this camping stuff.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #6

I also use a couple of BLUETOOTH Speakers and just set the on the picnic table or other places outside... They sound pretty good... Of course you will have to have a Bluetooth Driver on the inside plugged into your FM Radio sound jack... When we hike around near the camp site I also always have a portable Bluetooth Pocket speaker that is synced to my cellphone... I always wanting to monitor the BROADCASTIFY link with my local home Police and Rescue Squads frequencies on them...

My OUTSIDE Speakers connected to my Car Radio in my camper have plastic cones in them so the speaker part on mine does not need any water proofing on the inside part.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:21 AM   #7

Butyl tape. Buy at H/D in the roofing dept. Mainly used to seal standing rib steel roof installs, skylights, vents etc. Inexpensive in a cardboard dispenser and lasts forever. Once you have it, you'll find a hundred ways to use it.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote