Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #11

I have Eagle 322FKS, with 15m a/c micro, water heater, refg. all running on 120 volts 30 amp service and the cord plugged into a new shore power box the plug does gets very hot, If you do an amp draw you are @ about 23amp. at almost max. I switched the water heater over to gas,and the plug was warm, but not hot. The 15,000 a/c draws 17 amps by itself. as stated if the voltage is low, the amps increase. I have a plug in voltmeter and leave it plugged in so I can check the voltage. One thing to avoid is to use a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter and then plug your 30 amp plug, you are creating a fire hazard.

buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #12

Woo..hooo...glad you are back to being cool!

When we were camping over the July 4th holiday, we were at a very large Forrest Service park with several hundred spots. I kept and eye on my EMS and could see the voltage drop pretty substantially during the day when everyone had the AC cranked.

The Fridge only pulls about 300 watts, so I was not that concerned about that, but when I had the AC, Water heater, and plenty of lights on - I was pulling a full 30 amps and was around 108 volts. I decided that I would go on gas water during the day and only do electric at night and that really helped.

As I watch that EMS display I am amazed that my converter alone will pull close to 8 amps when I have a bunch of lights going -- so I guess the point is during the summer you do have to keep a close eye on things. A few dollars of propane usage is well worth it if it keeps your AC running (and you dont get damage from low voltage).

On the 30-50 - Jim I do somewhat agree with you; however - here is my take -- If I am at a pedestal that has a worn 30 or a good looking 50 - I am going with the 50. I get a better connection, less heat, and better voltage. I know I loose the pedestal 30 amp breaker, but I still have my internal 30 amp breaker that should catch any overload. It is one of those trade offs - which is the lesser evil? I dont know for sure, but my thought is I would rather lose the double protection than end up with a burned up cord.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #13

On the 4th of July weekend, we were at a large CG in Port Huron Mich. The first evening, temperatures did not require A/C, and the line voltage in the TT was 119 volts. On the Saturday afternoon, the outside temp got into the 90's and most people were running their A/C. At that time, with our A/C, fridge and water heater on, the line voltage in the TT was 110 volts. You may think that's low, but I was impressed it wasn't lower. Our 30 amp plug came thru no problem, but all it would take would be a rusty, worn socket in the pedistal to change that. Before I plugged in that first night, did my best to visually check the socket condition, and it seemed acceptable. A good connection at the pedistal is important.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 AM   #14

If I am at a pedestal that has a worn 30 or a good looking 50 - I am going with the 50

How about if you were at a bar?

Sorry couldn't resist.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #15

Murph A worn 30 could still hurt ya !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Larry
Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #16

On my very first outing with our new '02 Jayco my electrical plug was MELTED, due entirely to a worn out power receptical that put little or no tension on the plug prongs. I wound up having to cut the end off and replace the plug on my power cord. Ever since that experience I am careful to check the tension on the plug where it fits into the power box receptical. If it is sloppy or loose, I put my 30 amp to 50 amp adapter on my power cord and plug into the 50 amp outlet. The 50 amp recepticals always seem to have a much tighter fit, probably because they don't get used as much.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #17

Came across the old pic of my plug today -- funny it looks a lot like yours

What did you ever do about that plug?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00030-20101002-0908.jpg  

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote