Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Site Team

Question Overheated Shore Power Plug???? HELP!

Today my DH (mind you he has a moniker here!) unplugged the shore power from the shore power connection.

He noticed that the plug appeared to be "hot". Upon inspection, he noticed that one of the prongs looked like the plastic had melted around it. He also noted that the metal prongs appeared to have a copper discoloration when they normally look brass in color. He thought this could be caused by over heating?

We've been camping for the past three weeks (not unusual) in heat. We've spent more than less camping in heat vs not in the "lifetime" of our tt.

During the past week cg circuit has been tripped twice. We attributed this to the fact that we were running the tv/microwave/refrid/air conditioning/etc. We've since stopped running the microwave while a/c has been running.

We will approach Jayco about this as we have two months left on the warranty, but would like to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Below are pics of what we are referring to.

Thanks for helping out!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4667.jpg   DSCF4670.jpg   DSCF4671.jpg   DSCF4672.jpg  

-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #2

Another thing that can cause this is the plug not being fully inserted into the receptacle. Also remember to to turn the breaker off prior to plugging in and turning the breaker off prior to unplugging. There have been many times when I have gone to connect my power ,to find the breaker still on from the last RV.
I also agree that it was probably due to low voltage if the cg was full.

Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #3

Could it be caused by old, corroded recepticles?? Build up of rust or trash inside the recepticle causing the power to have to work harder to make contact with the plug and creating more heat?
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

Yes, that previous thread on Shore Power Cord Safety, touches on the condition of over-heated shore power plugs, like you have in your photos there Healthi.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Site Team

Here is the voltmeter I have, plugs right in the recept.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Site Team

I usually insert/remove the plug into the recepticle several times before turning the breaker on to help ensure good contact. To me, this is especially important to do when you're the first to use a site that appears to have been unused over a long period of time.

If the contacts on your plug(s) (don't forget check the plug on your extension too if you're using it) appear to be oxidized, corroded, etc., a piece of emery cloth, steel wool, sandpaper, etc can take care of that.

I carry a mulit-tester in the TT that can check AC voltages. However, my refrigerator usually warns me of any low-voltage conditions first as I'll hear it start switching back and forth from electric to propane and its status indicator will display "LO AC". When this happens, I'll set the refrigerator to run on propane only until electrical conditions improve. Sometimes that can be the the entire duration of our stay.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #7

That looks EXACTLY like my plug did. I believe it was caused by using an old pedestal and it had a lot of heat buildup. I just carry a spare plug with me I got a Lowes and I replaced it. Only thing I dont like is that it is not quite a waterproof - prob the only solution there is to buy an extension cord and cut off the female end and re-run the entire thing.

Since you are still out camping, I would take an emery board and try to polish up the connectors as best you can. I may be wrong, but I kind of doubt that Jayco will cover that under warranty since I would consider that wear and tear.

Since I have installed my EMS, I have not had any hot plugs or discoloration - but have had it cut off and had to cut down usage once or twice.
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #8

Havng seen a lot of " blue " copper electrical parts in my 40 yrs in the business, I tend to agree with those who mention the cg receptical as being the culprit. The contact point has gotten week and lost it's tension, therefore it creats heat and arcing around the male cord cap. Larry
Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #9

That's a corroded plug and it needs to be replaced. It's also possible you have low voltage, but that is always on the bottom of the suspect list, especially if there is something visually wrong. Cut that end off and replace it with a new one. If you have been plugged into the same outlet for some time, that outlet also needs to be replaced. Loose connections cause arcing, heat buildup, and deterioration of the conductions.
Also, be sure to check that the breaker is off before you ever plug into a pedestal. Everytime you plug into a hot one, you draw an arc and that starts the plug burning issue.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
Site Team

OK Here's the update.... BTW, the members here are amazing!!!

Last night we stayed with my grandkids other grandparents in Phoenix, so didn't camp since posting the OP. So, I finally got a chance to check your posts today when we pulled into Palm Springs. When we got into camp, we plugged in the power, set the a/c and switched on the water heater (fridge started automatically). Within minutes, the a/c shut down and the circuit tripped.

I forgot about the other post Bob... thanks for pulling up that previous thread for us! I think you guys were all spot on. Also, thanks Fishy for skyping with Don to walk him through the process of switching off circuits, cleaning the prongs, switching stuff back on.

Good news! I had no idea that emery board would come in handy (I don't fuss with my nails and Don bites his! LOL). But thanks to Fishy, that emery board has those prongs shiny like new. So far, electrical is working fine.

Thanks again!

-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote