Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #11

Good to know information ... thanks..but i do not agree with the paint not adhering to gelcoat if properly prepared... i sanded my boat gelcoat down over 12 years ago and refinished it with imron and it never flaked or peeled ... cutting through the gelcoat opens up a whole can of worms because the hand laid glass in behind it tends to be full of pinholes and pits... if anything i would say it should be sanded with 220 or 320 and then epoxy primed prior to refinish. Working with new press molded fiberglass parts that are gelcoated on corvettes all the time is what i speak from experience on . As per their instructions you should maintain a minimum of 20 mils film thickness of gelcoat under primer for maximum holdout of the refinished surface .. just my 2 cents

Old 03-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
Good to know information ... thanks..but i do not agree with the paint not adhering to gelcoat if properly prepared... i sanded my boat gelcoat down over 12 years ago and refinished it with imron and it never flaked or peeled ... cutting through the gelcoat opens up a whole can of worms because the hand laid glass in behind it tends to be full of pinholes and pits... if anything i would say it should be sanded with 220 or 320 and then epoxy primed prior to refinish. Working with new press molded fiberglass parts that are gelcoated on corvettes all the time is what i speak from experience on . As per their instructions you should maintain a minimum of 20 mils film thickness of gelcoat under primer for maximum holdout of the refinished surface .. just my 2 cents
I am not a painter nor will I ever be one, but when this oxidizing issue started on my EAGLE (within the first 3 months) I contacted 3 professional body restoration places that deal with gel coats and they all had the same thing to say.. once the oxidation process starts you need to remove the gel coat, prep the fiberglass and then paint.

Interestingly enough, a few of them also said that the Clear Coat when used by the RV industry is not the top of the line clear coat, and what happened to my TT is an example of what happens when they opt for the cheaper clear coat. True or false, I have no clue.

When I contacted the JAYCO service center that did the work on our TT, I did not mention a word and they also do the same process. I have no clue as to what is the correct or wrong method, but in my investigation that is what I found. So, at the time, since they all use the same process, I figured that that is what has to be done to assure a quality finish that will last.

When I initially contacted Jayco, they also said the gel coat needed to be removed.

I guess time will tell, but I am VERY happy with the results, and the MUCH lighter and COOLER front cap.

Don

2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #13

well I don't know how they arrived at the procedure but I do know what all the manufacturers of the parts I buy have as their procedure ..I try to remain as up to date as possible on any new thing to make my job hold out better and I have as yet to find anything as hard as gel coat as a beginning surface.. the caps on these from what I see have no clear coat on them but as in most parts laid up in a mold are gel coat first then the glass is laid inside of that and the gel coat is sealed off from air with the glass. they are basically laid from the outside in. Unless you buy a tt or 5th wheel with full body paint then over time they will begin to oxidize due to the uv rays. I am just glad they got your done and it looks great.. with me if it happens I will have to have a long talk with the repair facility before they begin work lol
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1549.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #14

Thanks for the reply. My FW is only 6 months into the warranty period. I contacted Jayco and they gave me the name of a couple authorized repair dealers in my area. Neither of them sell Jayco. I know the gel coat needs to be removed before a paint is applied. My plan is to contact the paint shop and have the same color applied but I will spring for the best clear coat available and extra coats as needed. I had a fiberglass car that was black and a few boats with no fade problems so I am sure it can be done. A FL or AZ environment for a lot of years maybe a problem.

2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote