Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Parkwood Combiner

I just bought from Amazon a Parkwood 61254 Combiner which you have 2 15 amp plugs that you plug into different outlets to make 30 amps and you can plug a 30amp cord into. Question is, has anyone used one of these and fo they work? Will need to run 2 11,000 btu a/c's that are designed to run off of 30 amp hookup. Please advise.
Billy Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #2

If your generator has a twist lock connection you would be better off getting an adapter that would fit that connection vs plugging into the same 15a receptacle twice. Most all 15a receptacles are on the same 15a circuit so you really will not be getting 30 amps. Which generator do you have and plan to use this on? ~CA
Old 02-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
If your generator has a twist lock connection you would be better off getting an adapter that would fit that connection vs plugging into the same 15a receptacle twice. Most all 15a receptacles are on the same 15a circuit so you really will not be getting 30 amps. Which generator do you have and plan to use this on? ~CA
I don't see where OP mentions a generator?

But craigav is right AFAIK. If both plugs are in the same outlet, they're both on one 15A circuit. If you have 2 outlets in close proximity, chances are both outlet pairs are on the same 15A circuit.

If both 15A plugs are on separate 15A circuits, I guess I could see it being possible to get 30A out of it? But that is highly unlikely as the pigtails on that combiner are not long enough to get to two separately wired 15A circuits in most normal circumstances.

So I don't see that combiner being of much use other than a potential reduction in heat and resistance? And only then in the case compared to a 15A>30A one-outlet adapter.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I don't see where OP mentions a generator?
I looked up the item on Amazon as I wasn't familiar with it, in the product description it referenced having two 15a outlets on the generator and that this "combiner" is used to combine those two 15a outlets to get 30a for your rv. Which of course is not actually correct (for most generators for sure).

Same as plugging into the 15a receptacle at the shore park power pole, plugging in twice isn't going to allow for 30 amps because the 15a outlet plug is most often on a 15a breaker anyway... and at $60.00 seems like a ripoff to me.

In any case, I suspected that the OP was intending to use it with a generator, but I don't know that really. Either way, it is not a product I would ever recommend to anyone. ~CA
Old 02-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
I looked up the item on Amazon as I wasn't familiar with it, in the product description it referenced having two 15a outlets on the generator and that this "combiner" is used to combine those two 15a outlets to get 30a for your rv. Which of course is not actually correct (for most generators for sure).

Same as plugging into the 15a receptacle at the shore park power pole, plugging in twice isn't going to allow for 30 amps because the 15a outlet plug is most often on a 15a breaker anyway... and at $60.00 seems like a ripoff to me.

In any case, I suspected that the OP was intending to use it with a generator, but I don't know that really. Either way, it is not a product I would ever recommend to anyone. ~CA
+1

It checks all the boxes of a "do not buy" decision for me (I went back and read the Amazon listing and saw the generator reference); poorly written product description, EXPENSIVE, not useful, not convenient.

Plus there are apparently several reviews of the item the seller doesn't want seen. I could only see 2 of the 5-star reviews out of "16 reviews" for the product. Could be a different listing than what OP bought, but I certainly would've passed on the one I found...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #6

Also, forgot to address the Air Conditioning question in OP's post. It is HIGHLY unlikely you'll be able to use this to run both of your AC units. Together they'll pull around 22A running. That doesn't take into account the considerable "locked rotor amps" that'll be pulled when the unit starts up. You MIGHT be able to run one of your units, if it's a circuit in good condition, and you're not running much else.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-27-2021, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
+1

It checks all the boxes of a "do not buy" decision for me (I went back and read the Amazon listing and saw the generator reference); poorly written product description, EXPENSIVE, not useful, not convenient.

Plus there are apparently several reviews of the item the seller doesn't want seen. I could only see 2 of the 5-star reviews out of "16 reviews" for the product. Could be a different listing than what OP bought, but I certainly would've passed on the one I found...
Not only everything you mentioned, but it is also potentially very dangerous. I don't see anything in the cord that would prevent the second male plug from being hot when the first plug is plugged in. So if you had both in your hand and you were touching the male prongs on the other plug that you planned to plug in next, then you may not even have a next as that could be it for you. Unless of course they have a circuit or something that prevents that condition, but just looking at the cord, I don't see any protection for what I am concerned with. ~CA
Old 02-27-2021, 04:54 PM   #8

Here's the item's description on Amazon:
Product description
RV 30A plug get power from (2)15A regular outlet.
When you have 2 of regular 15A 5-15 outlet on generator, and you want plug camper 30A TT-30P extension cord into them get 30A power from them.
It can NOT work if you do not plugin both of plug.(Must plugin both of two plug)

This cord set can help you to do it.

Length : 24 inch

Looks like they designed it for generator use. The double male ends could be a "suicide cord" setup, if only 1 was plugged in and energized.

Edit: I didn't see Craigav's post before I posted this
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea5 View Post
Here's the item's description on Amazon:
Product description
RV 30A plug get power from (2)15A regular outlet.
When you have 2 of regular 15A 5-15 outlet on generator, and you want plug camper 30A TT-30P extension cord into them get 30A power from them.
It can NOT work if you do not plugin both of plug.(Must plugin both of two plug)

This cord set can help you to do it.

Length : 24 inch

Looks like they designed it for generator use. The double male ends could be a "suicide cord" setup, if only 1 was plugged in and energized.

Edit: I didn't see Craigav's post before I posted this
No concerns as we both see and realize the same concerns with this product. My suggestion to Billy Tate is to cancel the order.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:49 PM   #10

I should have explained a little better. We have an Escedra Esteem 29V motorhome which is same as the Greyhawk. We will be parked in driveway of a family member and they do not have a 30 amp plug in. Plans are to plug my device into 2 different 15 amp circuits. Where we live, daytime temps run about 50, sometimes 60 for high. We are going to South Florida and looks like close to 90 high when we are there. Will use the ac.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #11

I know the connector I bought is a ripoff but campground fees will be that much or a lot more.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:54 PM   #12

Actually using with 2 15 amp circuits shore power, not generator
Old 02-27-2021, 07:34 PM   #13

The problem (in addition to other concerns) if you did plug into two different 15a plugs, those two plugs could be on two different 120v legs (all houses have 240v coming in which is two 120v legs) and if you did that then you would create a short circuit. Otherwise if you are plugged into the same 120v leg but multiple outlets, those outlets would likely be protected by the same 15a circuit breaker. Almost always when you have multiple outlets nearby, they are on the same circuit and breaker. You would be better off with a single and more common 15a to 30a adapter. If you do this with the combiner, then you should take the time to become very familiar with what I am referring to for safety's sake and make sure that you are not using two different 120v legs (which will cause a 240v short circuit). ~CA
Old 02-27-2021, 08:35 PM   #14

NO do not use this...

You can go ahead and buy it... as a future investment in a class action lawsuit - Just don't use it.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:06 PM   #15

Quote:
The problem (in addition to other concerns) if you did plug into two different 15a plugs, those two plugs could be on two different 120v legs (all houses have 240v coming in which is two 120v legs) and if you did that then you would create a short circuit. Otherwise if you are plugged into the same 120v leg but multiple outlets, those outlets would likely be protected by the same 15a circuit breaker. Almost always when you have multiple outlets nearby, they are on the same circuit and breaker. You would be better off with a single and more common 15a to 30a adapter. If you do this with the combiner, then you should take the time to become very familiar with what I am referring to for safety's sake and make sure that you are not using two different 120v legs (which will cause a 240v short circuit). ~CA
You beat me to this. The first thing that came to mind was what happens if you plug into different legs of the 120 volt system. This would dead short 240 volts. That is EXTREMELY dangerous.

There is absolutely no way I would ever use one of these. Others have mentioned possible dangerous scenarios and I would take them all seriously.

I looked at the Amazon ad and saw a reference to UL listing which said "We have UL approved for all PVC wire in UL 62 standard, and also have UL or ETL approved for most of connectors in UL 817 standard." So they say the wire and most of the connectors are UL approved but I would bet money that the entire assembly would NEVER pass UL approval.

All in all, this item should not be used because it can potentially be dangerous and will not give you 30 amp capability when plugged into the same breaker. Buyer beware!

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:15 PM   #16

I wanted to add something.

I have 2-11,000 btu air conditioners in my Greyhawk on 30 amp service. According to the power control center's display, when they are both running it is pulling slightly less than 15 amps. So, in theory you MAY be able to get by on a standard 15 amp circuit once they were running.

The problem is the start up current demand. I don't know if those soft start kits would solve the start up current enough to allow operation on a standard 15 amp circuit. Maybe someone has tried this.

Now, if you could find a 20 amp circuit to plug into, things would probably be fine.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:39 PM   #17

Just as bad as plugging into 2 house outlets from each leg, would be to plug into a 2 legged generator like the Harbor Freight Predator 3200 watt open frame unit. In reality it is not 3200 watts, it’s 2 separate 1600 watt generators in one unit that can’t be combined for a single 3200 watt load. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #18

Quote:
I would think you would immediately trip one or both breakers, probably with a healthy spark at the outlet.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I would think you would immediately trip one or both breakers, probably with a healthy spark at the outlet.
One could hope that the breakers trip quickly, on the other hand the "Y" connection where the two circuits combine could light up like a welding rod and burn you, catch fire, or electrocute you. You just never know with something like this item. I will add, this is the worst RV accessory I have ever seen, to the point it could kill someone, start a fire, burn your wiring up, or as you said, simply trip a circuit breaker which one could only hope happens first. ~CA
Old 02-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
What they put out on the market those days without thinking through.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote