Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY RVer View Post
I am looking into getting a portable, but am a bit confused on whether or not I should go with a 30 or 50 amp. My TT is set up for 50, but I only have 1 AC unit, so I never use the 50 amp cord, as it usually becomes a wrestling match. I have a couple of 30 amp cords that I use a dog bone with to attach to the TT. Based on this, I assume I am ok with the 30 amp version and worry about getting a 50 if I add another AC unit, which I realistically do not see happening in the near future. Any thoughts or suggestions?
You do understand that 30 amp gives you 1/3 the electric power that a 50 amp service will give you. Even without a second AC you would have more power available for a MW and a toaster at the same time. Or a MW and a hair dryer etc. Your RV is wired for a 50 amp service, typically the 50 plugs at a campground are used less so in better shape. I see no downside to using the cord that came with your RV other than it's heavier and takes a few seconds more to plug in or stash away. As another thread is saying, you should ALWAYs pull your cord all the way out when plugging in anyway, so, why fight it ? I would go with the 50 amp, use your onboard cord, forget the extension cords (which only add to distance and potential voltage drop) and use your RV the way it was designed. JMHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #22

Ed: I am planning to get a portable unit. I need portable because I want to be able to use it on my 5er(will have it by summer) or my truck camper. How do you secure the EMS? Is there a way to lock it to the pedestal?
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #23

I just ordered a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C from Amazon, 30a portable. I understand that they have a new model, but since everyone I ever read about using the old one seemed happy, I'm not that concerned if I have the earlier model. The price was right at $208. I really don't need a hard wired unit, since I rarely park where there is electrical service.

I do have a question for those who have experience with the portable: Do you use the EMS when on generator?

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #24

Hi All

We have just taken ownership of our new 2017 Jayco Pinnacle 36 fbts.

We want to install a hard wire surge protector. Was thinking of the TRC 50 amp hardwire OVER the portable set up.

Has any one installed either the progressive or tRC in the basement of a Pinnacle and can you walk me thru the steps to finding the wires and the best way to install.... I have read where people say to keep the unit stock not cut into the existing harnesses.....any help would greatly be appreciated, thoughts on the equipment Progressive or TRC
thanks Frank and Patricia
spiritofthebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofthebear View Post
Hi All

We want to install a hard wire surge protector. Was thinking of the TRC 50 amp hardwire OVER the portable set up.

Has any one installed either the progressive or tRC in the basement of a Pinnacle and can you walk me thru the steps to finding the wires and the best way to install.... I have read where people say to keep the unit stock not cut into the existing harnesses.....any help would greatly be appreciated, thoughts on the equipment Progressive or TRC
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C | RV Energy Management Systems

A must have.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Wanderlust - What are the advantages of the hard wired vs. the portable Progressive?
Hardwired unit is installed and forget about it; you don't have to get it out and plug it into the pedestal. It also has the digital error code readout inside your rig so you constantly see whats happening.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Hi All

Hardwired to me is the best way to go, here is an install video.

https://youtu.be/WDKoccBlsbE
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #28

Quote:
.any help would greatly be appreciated, thoughts on the equipment Progressive or TRC
Progressive has great costumer service, anything goes wrong with their unit they get replacement parts out ASAP. Made in the USA with a Lifetime Warranty.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #29

I think I am going to spring for the PI EMS-PT50X . PI suggests purchasing with the EMS a 50A extension plug for $27.10 and a Masterlock 3' cable for $14.95. They claim the 50A extension plug "allows your surge protector to hang vertically when plugged in to the Campground pedestal". I am new to 5th wheel camping so I am not used to 50A service - am I going to need the extension plug? The Masterlock looks a little lightweight but I assume it is sized to fit the securing loop supplied with the EMS? Is this what you use to lock your portable EMS?
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCAMPER View Post
I think I am going to spring for the PI EMS-PT50X . PI suggests purchasing with the EMS a 50A extension plug for $27.10 and a Masterlock 3' cable for $14.95. They claim the 50A extension plug "allows your surge protector to hang vertically when plugged in to the Campground pedestal". I am new to 5th wheel camping so I am not used to 50A service - am I going to need the extension plug? The Masterlock looks a little lightweight but I assume it is sized to fit the securing loop supplied with the EMS? Is this what you use to lock your portable EMS?
If your not going to hard wire this is the one to have. Never plug in without it. As for the extension and lock you can never have to many accessories.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote