Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2020, 03:55 AM   #1

Pinnacle brake controller

I have had poor to no braking on my 2019 Pinnacle since taking delivery in September. Found that the axles were over greased and the brake drums were coated. That was all corrected through warranty yet I still had to go back and fix poor workmanship of the job (loose connections, etc.). Braking still isn't as strong as it should be and I find that I am experiencing a substantial voltage drop on the brake system, between my tow vehicle and my 5th wheel. I made my living as a mechanic and have a thorough knowledge of vehicle electric systems and I have done the troubleshooting at all accessible connections. Unfortunately, I am not able to locate the brake controller box in the Pinnacle itself. I have the schematic from Jayco but it doesn't state where the controller is located. Short of ripping out the underlayment or flooring I've traced the wires as far as I can. Does anyone have any idea where Jayco located this? Please do not suggest having it corrected through the warranty process. I don't find the dealers much more capable than the manufacturer, and, unfortunately, I believe that if I want it done correctly, I need to do it myself.

cmzoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:44 AM   #2

You're like me, if you want it done right,...
Your Pinnacle is like my Northpoint, HEAVY. So do yourself a favor, dump those drum brakes and install disc brakes. That's what I'm doing and others have already done. My project is going to take a little while due to the "customizing disorder" I have and the cold, crappy weather here in Michigan. You'll have WAY better stopping power and a lot less headaches with grease on the brake linings, magnets that dont work, etc...

Old 02-05-2020, 06:43 AM   #3

There is no controller for the brakes, that's in the truck. Trailer is just wiring and the brake magnets and a break away switch. It's just basic stuff. Two wires. A ground and the power off the trucks brake controller.

FYI, Lippert drum brakes are known to be weak. Best to convert to disc brakes. Or try new drum brakes from Dexter.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #4

Let me state a correction to my post. It is not a controller that I'm looking for, but the junction box for the wires coming from the truck to the wiring in the trailer. It is usually mounted above the king pin but it appears to be mounted in the nose cone. Any ideas on where it is?
Old 02-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #5

I still need to figure out where the electrical junction box is so I can determine why I have a voltage drop. Disc brakes require electricity to.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #6

The 7 way cord on my Northpoint goes right into a junction box up inside the pin box. That's strange that there is no junction box right there.
Did they maybe run it into the upper area of the front storage, like where your coach battery is?? Or battery disconnect is?
Old 02-05-2020, 08:24 AM   #7

Nope. My pigtail from the truck comes in behind the king pin and then goes through the wall of the hitch box into the nose cone. The blue and white 10 gauge wire that go to the brakes come back out of that same hole and continue back to the brakes. So it appears that my junction box is under the nose cone somewhere, where I can't get to it. I've looked for trap doors in the front closet, the front storage areas, etc. I suspect I have a bad connection in the box since I have traced the voltage drop back to that point.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #8

Kinda sounds like Amos thought hed be funny and bury it up there.
I cant imagine they are all like that. How stupid is it to bury a splice like that??
Old 03-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #9

Well everyone, I finally found the junction box thanks to a post I did on another forum. It is located under the light that sits just behind the king pin. Ridiculous place to put it and access is difficult because of the small hole size. And naturally, they did quite a hack job on the wiring so I've got some connections to re-do.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #10

Glad you finally found it, and posted it's location for others.

Good luck

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote