Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Same thing happened in TX. It may have changed, but it used to be that if the item was shipped from a dist center/warehouse within the state, there was tax collected. Shipped from out of state dist center/warehouse, no tax. That may have changed though. It seems Amazon would have had to negotiate that provision specifically. Sales tax is based on "nexus" and the case was made that Amazon has "nexus" in TX especially when they opened up a distribution center inside the state.
Now in Va we are charged from Amazon, Camping World and Walmart etc even if the item was shipped from another state. They all have locations in Va now, matters not if the item did not come from that location. Now if I were to buy something from Tweeties or PPL etc that have no locations in Va, no tax. Same goes for ebay, vendors from Va charge state tax, vendors from out of state do not. I have a feeling one day we will pay taxes on all items, regardless of where purchased. States are not happy losing all that revenue to internet purchases.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #22
Site Team

We have an Amazon center here in SC but they got a sweetheart deal to not collect taxes for a couple of years. We have been notified that that is in the past.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We have an Amazon center here in SC but they got a sweetheart deal to not collect taxes for a couple of years. We have been notified that that is in the past.
That's what I was thinking happened here. I think Amazon negotiated a deal with TX Comptroller that they could avoid collecting sales tax for some time on items shipped from out of state, but I'm betting that provision had a sunset clause, and the sun has probably set on it.

Honestly, I don't pay that much attention to it. We live out in the sticks, so our retailing options are quite limited, so we depend on Amazon quite a lot for our shopping needs. Even if we have to pay sales tax, it's still better than having to spend a couple hours driving to a B&M box to find and buy things. Access to a variety of retailers is one thing I miss about living in a bigger city. But there's WAY more I don't miss!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I found one. E Trailer.com They are out of Missouri so no sales tax.

AND, no shipping charges for orders over $99.

Here is what I ordered. I thought they were very reasonable and I called to verify stock. Glad I did.

They also ship UPS if the weight is over 7 pounds.

All in all, it was a very smooth transaction and I do not feel I overpaid.

Hope this helps.

P.S. The bigger retailers like WalMart have establishments in every state so not surprised there. I think Amazon does too but taxes depend on who is shipping and from where. It pays to shop around. Taxes and shipping can add up.
I have useed e trailer on a number of occasions. You will find them a pleasure to do business with. The products are name brand like everybody else sells and their shipping is fast and complete. Good luck.
GRUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:16 AM   #25

Another vote for etrailer. Their customer service is very good and they are quick to answer questions.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #26

No matter who you buy from, you owe the tax, and are violating Texas law if you don't pay it.

https://www.comptroller.texas.gov/ta...es/use-tax.php

Out of state sellers with no physical presence cannot be compelled to collect tax for the state, BUT as soon as they build a store/warehouse/transfer facility/etc. in the state.... As an ultimate punishment for failure to comply, the state can seize the physical assets and shut it down. Which, of course, they can't if there is nothing within the state. Hence the "Use Tax", where you as the purchaser are the ultimate responsible party to make sure the tax is paid.

Pretty much the same thing exists in most states - look up "Virginia Use Tax", etc.

Yeah, it is pretty hard for the State to go after an individual for this kind of thing, so the average guy gets by ignoring this. Which is what drives the local stores insane with the "unfair" situation. Hence repeated calls to do something on a national level, forcing all remote sellers to comply with the requirements of each state.

As far as "no shipping" - you pay one way or another. All you can do is compare one "out the door" price to another.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #27

Delaware
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
I'm not sure if you'll be able to buy anything, even on-line, without paying taxes. Most on-line retailers like Amazon and Wal-Mart are now charging tax, but still ship for free (if you meet the minimum dollar amount.) The only exception that I know of would be if you order on-line from a retailer who does not have a brick & mortar store in your State.
If your a federally recognized tribe and a Native American with an ID card like myself than you don't have to pay taxes I don't pay taxes on car or trailer purchases. It works well when negotiating because I don't say anything until I reach a price agreement. Once I have a price agreed upon then I say now remove the tax portion and I show them my tribal ID card. At financing I sign a form and I save a ton of money that I don't have to finance.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:37 AM   #29
Site Team

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules but more like "it depends".

State laws where the seller is, state laws where you are located and as the previous poster noted, your status regarding paying taxes.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
Another vote for etrailer. Their customer service is very good and they are quick to answer questions.
Ditto

Can't beat their pricing.
If they don't have it Amazon does.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
+1 on E-Trailer. They have great service in my experience. I ordered some mirrors from them a couple years ago...

ETA: I'm a verified Amazon junkie. Seriously. I have a problem.
I am in the same boat! There is a function on your Amazon account settings page where you can download a spreadsheet of all your purchases using whatever parameters you set.

Ran one for the last 2 years and almost had a heart attack!!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #32
Site Team

And the worst thing is PRIME. It's like your wife in the mall with a store credit!!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 11-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #33

I don't worry about if a vendor charges separately for taxes, shipping, or even the boss' yacht fund when comparison shopping. All I care about is the bottom line (the final price out the door). Of course, I also consider vendor reliability and how long it takes to receive an item.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
And the worst thing is PRIME. It's like your wife in the mall with a store credit!!
Nah, I just drop her at the mall that doesn't have the store where the credit sits. Then I go spend it myself...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote