Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #1

Plug-in Inverter

What size inverter do you think is needed to run the stock 26" tv in a 28BHBE? I would like to keep one handy to just plug into the 12 volt outlet that is in the compartment below the tv, and plug the tv into it when stopping for a night. I would like one without a fan to avoid the noise. I have two 12v batteries set up; do you think it wouls drain them overnight, for instance if we fell asleep with tv on? Sometimes just don't feel like pulling out the gen, and want to come up with an easy solution.
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #2

This is the one I have and eventhough it has a fan, the fan never comes on with just the TV running. Doubt it would run the batteries down with just one night's use. However, that depends on the condition and size of your batteries, etc, etc. It's not exactly what you are looking for but it works very well for me.
https://www.amazon.com/MicroSolar-30...pure+sine+wave

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #3

LED TVs assuming it is LED, they are pretty energy efficient. Sure the 300W inverter mentioned above would power it but would pull way more power than needed. I am assuming you have a Furrion but they don't seem to share the detailed specs of power consumption. So if you want to look at averages take a look at this page.

Electricity usage of an LED, LCD, Plasma, CRT TV or Computer Display - Energy Use Calculator

About halfway down they have a chart comparing LED, LCD, CRT and Plasma. Based on that it would be about 50 Watts. I did a search and a similar sized Vizio is also right around that 50 Watt range.

So if you want to go as small as possible, you could look at something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Power-.../dp/B003Q54V88

Or bump it up to the 150 watt version for a little more breathing room.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #4

Sennister, it is a Continus CT-2620. I can't find the exact wattage online, but roughly around 45 or so. If that is the case, then the small unit you suggested should work fine. I believe I may have one at my shop from one of my trucks, so I will look for it tomorrow and try it. I think plugging in an inverter right in the compartment where all the connections are is the simplest solution.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

I've purchased a couple different inverters to run my TV, but I had to take them all back because of the fan noise. I'm reluctant to try a 1000w unit for fear it might have huge current draw just on it's own.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

I'd go for the pure sinewave 300W (600 peak) for $36:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DP9JE18...s_ad_dp_asin_1
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
Site Team

The specifications sheet for your Television indicates it uses 45 watts FULL on. If you add a DVD player to it, those use a lot more power. So with that said, I would go with a 300 watt pure-sine wave inverter.... just remember if they have a fan, usually the less expensive models, the fan noise will drive you crazy.

One additional item to remember..... the output voltage of the inverter is dependent on the input voltage from your battery(s). Inverters are designed to operate at 12.6 to 13 volts for a full output of 110VAC, they usually put out 115VAC at 12.8 (at least the ones I tested). When the battery voltage starts dropping, so does the AC output voltage. When your battery level hits 12.0VDC, depending on the AC load, the AC voltage may only be 99 to 100VAC. To insure that you do not damage your electronics (Tv, radio....) you need to shut down the inverter.

I purchased an inexpensive 110VAC Digital Voltage Display that I use in the TT. It is a nice addition to the DC Digital Display meters. I am not sure if the 110VAC digital display will work with a non-pure sine wave inverter.

Your Tv info: Direc Tech Sales - Continu.us - 26" LED HDTV (CT-2620)

Registry

RVing with SOLAR

Don
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 110VAC Digital Voltage Display.jpg   ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #8

X2 what Mustang65 said. To add on to that, the 12v socket that you are plugging into should have sufficient gauge wring running to it. Depending on the distance to the battery, I would recommend 12 gauge wire or better to reduce the voltage drop you'll get with the draw from the inverter.

James
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I found the small plu in inverter in one of my trucks today. It is a 100w, and works fine with the TV, but has a fan and I can't see being able to listen to it and watch tv at the same time. I will search through Amazon for the ones recommended here.