Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
rv rental arizona I dont do much boondocking, but might do some this year. I wont have much need for 120 volt, but might want to watch the TV, which takes about 90 watts. I can easily power that with my 400 watt inverter, but I dont want to run an extension cord through the trailer.

So what I was thinking was to kill all the breakers (converter / charger, micro, AC, etc) and only leave on the receptacle breaker. Then plug my shore power cord into the inverter.

As long as I leave all the other breakers off, is there any reason why this would not work?
fuse?
kenbarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
...So what I was thinking was to kill all the breakers (converter / charger, micro, AC, etc) and only leave on the receptacle breaker. Then plug my shore power cord into the inverter.

As long as I leave all the other breakers off, is there any reason why this would not work?
Just curious. Being that the inverter is going to be somewhere outside, where's the power for the inverter coming from? The TV (and no, not the television, the tow vehicle)? Separate battery?

Compared to simply running an extension from the inverter through a window to the TV, it seems like just as much, if not more, of a hassle going around unplugging this and tripping the breaker on that so you can make it work. Then, after you've downed a half dozen Budweisers while watching TV, will you remember how to put everything back the way it was?

Seriously, You can eliminate this whole issue by buying a battery operated TV for around $100 that you can take anywhere. We have one. It has a 7" screen and runs for about two hours on a charge. The one we have will attach to an "F" style connector so we can even use the trailer's signal amplifier and Bat Wing antenna for better reception. The TV runs on 12v DC and there is a jack for that. So, it's possible to power it from the 12v power port in your trailer if you want viewing times longer than what the set's battery can provide. Unfortunately, the cord to do this was not supplied. I'm sure it's easily available, though.

As an added bonus, you will have a television that can be used in emergency situations- like during a power failure.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #23

I have a really nice Inverter / Charger pack that I keep in my truck. I has it's own batteries, but can also be easily hooked up to the trailer batteries if I desire. For me, it would be easy and handy to plug it in and have all the outlets in the camper hot. Sure, I could not run much - much it would allow me to do what I need to do.

And lets face it - we dont do things the easy way! Some of us like to tinker and make things suit our individual needs....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #24
JDL

RV directly into inverter - how to shut off charging

Good afternoon, all! Happy Friday.

Great forum and Q and As. Thanks. When plugging my TT (Jayco SLX 8 224BHW RM) into my 1100w inverter, how exactly do I turn off the charger? My converter (WFCO WF-8735) doesn't list what the breaker feeds. The converter has 3 (double) breakers. First one is a 30/15, second and third are 15/20. On the right side, it has 7 (DC?) fuses: 1 thru 5 are 15amp, 6th is 30amp (says 'red' next to it), and 7th one is a 40amp; the manual says this the reverse polarity safety fuse). I'd like to be sure that when I plug my TT into the inverter it doesn't attempt to charge the batter (create a loop), but I also want to ensure all AC outlets inside are live, but most importantly, that my water pump has power. Turning off all converter breakers is not practical as we need the water pump. We will be doing a lot of dry camping, which is why I'm installing a 200w solar system. (Good thing the rocky mountain edition has an 80gal fresh water tank!)

Thank you all!
Attached Thumbnails
charger, converter WFCO WF-8735p.jpg  
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post

Great forum and Q and As. Thanks. When plugging my TT (Jayco SLX 8 224BHW RM) into my 1100w inverter, how exactly do I turn off the charger? My converter (WFCO WF-8735) doesn't list what the breaker feeds. The converter has 3 (double) breakers. First one is a 30/15, second and third are 15/20. On the right side, it has 7 (DC?) fuses: 1 thru 5 are 15amp, 6th is 30amp (says 'red' next to it), and 7th one is a 40amp; the manual says this the reverse polarity safety fuse). I'd like to be sure that when I plug my TT into the inverter it doesn't attempt to charge the batter (create a loop), but I also want to ensure all AC outlets inside are live, but most importantly, that my water pump has power. Turning off all converter breakers is not practical as we need the water pump. We will be doing a lot of dry camping, which is why I'm installing a 200w solar system. (Good thing the rocky mountain edition has an 80gal fresh water tank!)

Thank you all!

With your RV plugged into shore power, your batteries needing a charge and all the breakers on put a meter on your battery to read the charge voltage, then have someone turn each breaker off until you see the charge voltage drop then you know what breaker the charger is on.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post

Thank you all!

Turn off all the 120 volt AC power (unplug from shore power.) for safety. Remove the panel which covers the 120 volt wiring below the breakers. You should be able to see which wires run from the bottom of one of the breakers over to the charger section of the converter.

Attached Thumbnails
WF-8735.jpg  
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #27
JDL

Thank you! Will try this before doing anything more involved.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:49 PM   #28
JDL

Thank you! Great info.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #29
JDL

Type of inverter to plug RV's 30amp shore power into?

Good morning, all.

Question: Looking to plug my TT/RV's 30amp shore plug into an inverter. Problem is most inverters out there only have 120v 15a plugs as output. Is there a certain type of inverter out there that would direclty allow me build a 30amp receptacle so I can plug my TT into?

Here's my proposed setup: between 800w and 1200w solar system; 2 or 3 100ah lithium ion batteries for my power bank; and a 3000w to 5000w pure sine inverter.

My goal would be to make a 30amp receptacle connected directly into the inverter so I can pull all the power I need from my power bank just as if I was connected to 30amp shore power. This seems like the best way to get all my power and appliances working - especially the air conditioner - a 13,500-BTU roof-mounted A/C.

Thank you kindly.

- JDL
Old 02-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #30

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I suggest you do more research or read a manual on the 3000 watt pure sine inverter.
To run an 13.5 AC it needs between the 11.5 to 15 amps on 120 volts, so you need a large 12 volt storage system and also a high capacity solar system. The economics aren't just there. A generator/inverter is a better source to handle these loads. There is nothing for free in this world ......you pay one way or the other.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljo View Post
i suggest you do more research or read a manual on the 3000 watt pure sine inverter.
To run an 13.5 ac it needs between the 11.5 to 15 amps on 120 volts, so you need a large 12 volt storage system and also a high capacity solar system. The economics aren't just there. A generator/inverter is a better source to handle these loads. There is nothing for free in this world ......you pay one way or the other.

x2 !
Old 02-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #32
JDL

Thank you, gentlemen. Provided I had a large enough inverter (5000w pure sine), a large enough 12v storage system (i.e., say a 400 to 700 ah bank), and a large enough solar panel system (800w to 1200w) to replenish the power bank, would it be possible to build a 30amp receptacle and direct connect it to a proper inverter so I can plug the RV into? It's my understanding a 13k btu ac has a high amp draw, so I don't envision running it but for a couple hours a day, if that (I know running it for longer would quickly deplete my bank). Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #33

400-700ah may get you 20+ amps of 120v but it's not going to last very long with the 11 amp load of the AC. You would need hundreds of lbs. of AGM batteries or go to Lithium $$$$'s to save weight. What you want to do is put a 427 into a Miata. yes it can be done but the cost and weight might be prohibitive.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #34

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to turn off a converter in a jayco x213? I can't seem to decipher the panel to see if a breaker switch is actually there for it or not. I'm completing my solar project with an inverter so those can't be operating at the same time. Many thanks
R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. View Post
I'm wondering if anyone knows how to turn off a converter in a jayco x213? I can't seem to decipher the panel to see if a breaker switch is actually there for it or not. I'm completing my solar project with an inverter so those can't be operating at the same time. Many thanks
I would suggest you request the wiring schematics from Jayco.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #36

It will be on one of the 15 amp breakers. Shutoff/disconnect battery. While on shore power switch off the 15 amp breakers one at a time till the 12v system shuts off. That will be your converter.

I have replaced my entire power panel on my 2013 X213 about 2 yrs ago as the converter was screeching like a banshee and change pitch depending on how much power was used. Drove me nuts. I re-wired it back up the same way and the converter was on it’s own breaker. BTW I had to clean up a heck of a mess with wires that had no semblance or order.
LeMoeCND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:41 AM   #37

Quote:
Couple options, request the electrical schematic from Jayco. Hav your vin number handy.

While connected to shore power. Have your ceiling lights on. Pull the main 30 amp batter fuse (disconnecting the battery). Then one by one flip your circuit breakers off until the lights go off.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:54 PM   #38
JDL

Quote:
Hi, RJ! Congrats on the new rig. I too had the SAME question a while back and didn't get much of a response. It appears you are trying to do what I wanted to and finally did: install solar panels, an inverter, but not have the inverter charge the batteries via the CONverter. In other words, don't create a charge loop by having the inverter send AC power to converter to charge the batteries because the charge controller is already charging the batteries via DC solar.

My solution was to install a heavy duty knob-switch and connecting the main (red) power wire leading from the converter to the battery. See attached photo. Thus, every time I plug my RV into the 240v outlet, I turn on the inverter, then I turn the switch off so the inverter doesn't send any power back into my batteries; only the solar charge controller is sending juice to them.

My set up: 6 solar panels on top (740w total); 2 170aH lit-ion batteries; 60am charge controller; 4,000 watt pure sine inverter; main line run to back of RV with a 240v, 30amp receptacle. I LOVE pulling up and plugging my rig into her self. Elegant.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:56 PM   #39

similar question concerning inverter.

Thinking of putting 1500 watt continuous, 2000 watt peak 12 volt pure sine inverter on tow vehicle "not trailer" with battery clamps so i can use it occasionally and unhook when not needed and just plugg travel trailer pig tail into it to run TV or coffee maker.

Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
If you plugged the shore power cord into the inverter, even if you only used your tv in the AC circuits, the power controller would be adding extra load on the inverter trying to charge the trailer battery. Whenever it's on shore power, the battery charger kicks in. Don't know if the inverter would handle it.

Wait a minute! Maybe you figured out a way to get unlimited perpetual power! Battery power to inverter. Inverter power to trailer power controller. Power controller recharges battery. Repeat the process. :hihi:

Nah, that wouldn't work. Doesn't your trailer have a 12 volt receptacle where you could plug in the inverter?
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:52 AM   #40

{Quote}similar question concerning inverter.
Thinking of putting 1500 watt continuous, 2000 watt peak 12 volt pure sine inverter on tow vehicle "not trailer" with battery clamps so i can use it occasionally and unhook when not needed and just plugg travel trailer pig tail into it to run TV or coffee maker.
Your thoughts?{Quote}

Probably can, but.. likely not for long. Battery charge converter breaker should be off, Elec. water heater off. Depending on your Tow Vehicle battery size and how long you want to run the inverter you may not be able to start your tow vehicle. Since not much information was given, here are some estimates-

Inverter draw with 1000 Watt load (coffee pot) -80 Amps
Inverter draw with TV @ 100 watts - 8 Amps
Add Inverter idle amp draw- 2Amps
An average car battery has a capacity of around 48 Amp Hours which means that, fully charged, it delivers 1 amp for 48 hours, 2 amps for 24 hours, 8 amps for 6 hours, etc. If you discharge a lead acid battery past 50% it will shorten it's life.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote