Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
rv rental arizona I dont do much boondocking, but might do some this year. I wont have much need for 120 volt, but might want to watch the TV, which takes about 90 watts. I can easily power that with my 400 watt inverter, but I dont want to run an extension cord through the trailer.

So what I was thinking was to kill all the breakers (converter / charger, micro, AC, etc) and only leave on the receptacle breaker. Then plug my shore power cord into the inverter.

As long as I leave all the other breakers off, is there any reason why this would not work?
fuse?

kenbarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
...So what I was thinking was to kill all the breakers (converter / charger, micro, AC, etc) and only leave on the receptacle breaker. Then plug my shore power cord into the inverter.

As long as I leave all the other breakers off, is there any reason why this would not work?
Just curious. Being that the inverter is going to be somewhere outside, where's the power for the inverter coming from? The TV (and no, not the television, the tow vehicle)? Separate battery?

Compared to simply running an extension from the inverter through a window to the TV, it seems like just as much, if not more, of a hassle going around unplugging this and tripping the breaker on that so you can make it work. Then, after you've downed a half dozen Budweisers while watching TV, will you remember how to put everything back the way it was?

Seriously, You can eliminate this whole issue by buying a battery operated TV for around $100 that you can take anywhere. We have one. It has a 7" screen and runs for about two hours on a charge. The one we have will attach to an "F" style connector so we can even use the trailer's signal amplifier and Bat Wing antenna for better reception. The TV runs on 12v DC and there is a jack for that. So, it's possible to power it from the 12v power port in your trailer if you want viewing times longer than what the set's battery can provide. Unfortunately, the cord to do this was not supplied. I'm sure it's easily available, though.

As an added bonus, you will have a television that can be used in emergency situations- like during a power failure.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #23

I have a really nice Inverter / Charger pack that I keep in my truck. I has it's own batteries, but can also be easily hooked up to the trailer batteries if I desire. For me, it would be easy and handy to plug it in and have all the outlets in the camper hot. Sure, I could not run much - much it would allow me to do what I need to do.

And lets face it - we dont do things the easy way! Some of us like to tinker and make things suit our individual needs....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote