Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #1

Poor Audio Reception on Jensen Stereo

We were out for the first time in our new TT. We stayed only a few miles from our home so we know that radio reception is adequate where we were staying and there are numerous AM & FM stations and our TV gets many of them crystal clear.

Our Jensen stereo caputred some of signals and they were very poor qualtiy. I did pull the head unit and verified that the Motorola antenna was securly attached to the stereo. Can anyone tell me if the stereo receiver is just so poor that this is normal. Have you had the same issues. The sound it produces when playing a DVD or our Ipod is great so I think I getting closer to diagnosing the issue.

I suppose I could plug another portable radio antenna directly into the head unit to help determine if there is some loose or broken connection in the ceiling near the OEM antenna but didn't have another spare plug in antenna with me.

The TT is brand new so if it is a warranty issue, I can get it correctd but not knowing what this Jensen unit should produce, I wanted to benefit from other users experience before talking to our dealer.

Thanks!!!
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #2

Our radio reception, both AM & FM is so poor it is all but unusable. I know it is something with the radio as my cheap portable gets excellent reception. I will be interested to hear what everyone has to say.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #3

I can honestly say that my Jensen gets great reception on FM, never tried AM. I have heard a lot of people complain about the Jensen, But I am pretty happy with mine.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #4

have a 2014 JayFlight and have had terrible reception since day one.

FM will come in parked in the city. AM is real sketchy. Out at the lake, no FM which is no surprise, yet nothing at all for AM. The truck can pick AM and some FM really well (Although, I have been told GMC/Chevy have real good radios).

I took radio out and climbed on roof and antenna seems attached at both ends.

I see others have the same issue. Just wondering if a replacement is an option or should I mention to dealer for warranty?
DirtyBurger2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #5

bad radio reception on Melbourne

Fixed the problem by installing an outside antenna. After I tried connecting a antenna I got good reception am and fm but lost it when I attached the antenna to the roof. As soon as I grounded the antenna I got static and interference. I disconnected the shield grounding at the antenna and mounted the antenna and it works great!!!
Win Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
I can honestly say that my Jensen gets great reception on FM, never tried AM. I have heard a lot of people complain about the Jensen, But I am pretty happy with mine.
I just "upgraded" the Jensen stereo in our 2008 Keystone with a Jensen JWM60A. The old stereo wasn't bad, but the CD/DVD player had quit working. I chose another Jensen mostly because it would fit the existing hole and I thought it would be a quick plug and play swap.

The install was more complicated than I hoped, but the stereo sounds great, a noticeable improvement. I was especially impressed with the sound that we got out of the cheap outdoor speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
91UF90IHfOL._SL1500_.jpg  

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #7

Our old Starcraft hybrid had a Jensen AM/FM/CD/MP3 player that died. I replaced it with a Panasonic car stereo that was open-box AND on sale so it was a good deal. With our current Jensen stereo, sometimes we get better cell coverage than radio reception so I just stream audio over my phone and Bluetooth it to the stereo.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote