Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

Portable satellite connection??

Okay, so the DW wants a satellite antenna. We have Dish at home so that's a logical choice for us. My question is --- do I have to run a separate coax line into the TT from the portable Dish Playmate or do I just hook it up to the existing cable TV connection on the side of the TT?

Thanks and Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:46 PM   #2

It depends... The jacks on the side of the rig are just coax locations from the outside to the inside. The cable connection will usually go to the OTA antenna amplifier and then to the television from there. For direct Sattelite connections there are usually a separate set of coax drops that bypass the amp panel. Some have them, some don't .
Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #3

I don't have a separate input satellite coax connection on the outside but on the curb side of the TT a coax connection is labeled "Cable/Satellite out."

If I hook up to outside input connection, can I then turn off the amplifier or possibly bypass the amp to get the satellite signal?

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 09-25-2017, 07:31 AM   #4

Check next to your amp/antenna output. There is likely a small jumper coax hooked up to a separate plate with two connections. On mine, you have to disconnect the jumper and hook to one of those for the box. Should be labeled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #5

I've tried this several times on several RVs. The easy way to go is run a seperate coxial cable to the converter box. Another easy, is use a flat connector through the window. Now it get a little dicey. I have ran the decoded HDMI and/or coxial wire back out through the window and into the RVs exterior cable connection and received good channels throughout the RV at all TVs. Sometimes not so good results. My new NP 381 is not cooperating this way and the dealer says a splitter/wire somewhere in the path is ugly and is in need of replacement. That being said I currently use DISH via a Wyguard Pathway X2 satellite. It allows a slave signal to another telivision. I use the slip wire through the window and then a HDMI to the livingroom TV. The salve signal is used to the front bedroom. After the signal is decoded I use a HDMI splitter and run a HDMI cable through the cableway to the outside TV. As you can see their are options ad I'm still learning.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:48 AM   #6

I have the jumper but it's not labeled. I guess they forgot the sticker. Can someone please post a picture?
Thanks Jack
jkelly3919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:54 AM   #7

Back in the day I tried pretty hard to understand the CABLE - SAT connections and never figured it out. I did not want to pull panels and trace out all of the wiring...

AS you all know the SAT RCVR has to provide DC power to operate the SAT DISH LNB heads.

There has to be splitters involved with the SAT PORT that will pass the DC VOLTAGE. The CABLE PORT does not need this type of splitter...

My TV is setup like this pictorial using the ANTENNA WALL PLATE and it works great for running TV signals from the OTA Antenna on the roof or the CABLE TV signal from the campgrounds.. I decided I am not going to mess things up trying to get the SAT outside connection to work with my portable SAT DISH from home.

Google Image

What I did was to pick up a portable SAT DISH for the DIRECTV that matched my home SAT Service from the house. Made sure the portable SAT DISH had the DUAL LNB ports on it. Then I ran 100-feet of RG cable from each of the two LNB ports on the portable SAT DISH into my trailer. I was able to go through the storage door as it had a rubber weather lining and would not harm the coax. I ran one RG cable to the main home entertainment area and the other RG cable to bedroom area.

Then I connected the two RG cables to their own SAT RECEIVER BOX I brought with me from my home DIRECTV account. To make thing even more simple I used the VIDEO OUTS from the home SAT RCVR units and connected them to the LCD TV sets VIDEO IN ports. This allows me to use the TV THUMPER to either select TV or VID1 to watch either SAT TV or CABLE/OTA TV.

The big beauty of this is I did not do anything to the great working OTA/CABLE TV working path inside my trailer...

Using the SAT RCVRS from the house sometimes had to be activated again after they was unplugged from the house. This will required me to contact the SAT SERVER and get my SAT RCVR turned on again. I had to have my account number and which room the SAT RCVR came from in your house. I attached this info on the case of the SAT RCVR so I would always have it on hand... Later on I found out I could do this myself by logging into the DIRECTV Home Office ONLINE and entry the info myself and not have to go through a person on the other end.

Also note I would lose my local TV Station on my DIRECTV account as soon as I left my ZIP CODE area. My way around this was to use the OTA antenna and watch the local TV stations from the area I was in...

When the NATL BROADCAST went to their DIGITAL TV modes a few years ago I stopped bringing my SAT TV items along for the trip. The local stations using the DIGITAL MODE has very good TV signals to watch and each station you are watching has six channels available you can watch which they fill up with live RADAR-movies-whatevers... The -1 channel is always the NATL NETWORK channel ABC-CBS-FOX-NBC etc...

What I did at any rate.for several years... My life now is RV CAMPING and we watch OTA NATL TV form the local towns using an outside BATWING antenna mounted to the side of the POPUP TENT Trailer... Got to see my NCIS shows and catch the local news/weather etc

Roy's image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #8

Thanks for all your SUPER replies. Now I'm really confused. And I'm looking for a good price on Dish Playmaker 7000 and Wally receiver. After I get the equipment I'll hook it up and see what works. Not expecting much initially after reading thru all this but I will give it a go anyway. If I do not succeed, you will be hearing from me again. Thanks again.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 11-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Thanks for all your SUPER replies. Now I'm really confused. And I'm looking for a good price on Dish Playmaker 7000 and Wally receiver. After I get the equipment I'll hook it up and see what works. Not expecting much initially after reading thru all this but I will give it a go anyway. If I do not succeed, you will be hearing from me again. Thanks again.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
This is really very simple to set up. Connect the coax to the cable/sat input port that is typically on the back side of the TT. Inside you probably have a sat/cable input jack with a jumper [6" loop] coax connecting the input to the jack on the ant. booster outlet. When setting up for sat, simply remove the short jumper and connect a coax from the input jack to the sat input jack on the back of your receiver. then run a piece of coax from the TV output jack on the back of the receiver and connect it to the input jack on the booster outlet. That will feed the sat signal from the receiver to anything connected to the internal TT coax but you will receive the same channel on all tvs.

Good luck, but not as difficult as some would make it out to be. The auto mobile antantees make it super easy.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:48 AM   #10

At the risk of adding to the confusion, I’ll throw another wrinkle into the discussion. We have Dish service at home with $7/mo adder Vip211 receivers for the RV and Pathway X2 portable dishes. Yes, we have 2 portables on top of our TT to confuse the situation even further. Anyways, this I what I have done. Since we don’t use the bat wing at all and have a ladder on the TT to access the roof, I am using a portable on the roof feeding directly down through the bat wing connection to the main tv. I installed a 2nd coax inlet on the curbside exterior to feed the bedroom tv from the 2nd portable since my Whitehawk 27DSRL has a very nice cavity to do this between the back of the shower and the bedroom tv wall. The amplified plate from the bat wing has been removed and replaced with a standard duplex coax plate. The main input to the TT is available for park cable connection or other sat / catv input as we desire. To make a long story short, we have full access to each of the X2’s abilities with glorious HD in both the main area and in the bedroom. With a push of a button on the remote, we also have the park cable offerings on the main tv. Sure, it’s probably overkill for most folks but it works out great for us.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #11

My set up is w/ a Wingard 2X mobile with a 2nd thru the wall input jack for a 2nd direct coax to the bedroom tv. The other coax connects to the oem input on the back side of the W Hawk. I always carry an in the box [never set up] tripod mount dish for back-up to the 2X and if I'm going to be stationary for more than 4 or 5 days. There are limitations to running 2 tvs off the 2X [that's why the previous poster has 2 of them] and the tripod mounted DishHD eliminates all that and cost a h*ll of a lot less than the 2X. It has given me an idea though and may pick up a used tailgater if I find one for a low price.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Good luck on the 7000. It looks to have the protective cover so no worries on storing. My Wineguard X2 openly rotates. I get a lot of questions when camping because people believe they see it move while were sitting around the campfire. And, it does. However I have to be careful when stowing away as it can be damaged. Friends have manually rotated the satellite to the original position. This is a NO-NO. It will damage it. Just leave it alone and be careful storing it.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
Old 11-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
My set up is w/ a Wingard 2X mobile with a 2nd thru the wall input jack for a 2nd direct coax to the bedroom tv. The other coax connects to the oem input on the back side of the W Hawk. I always carry an in the box [never set up] tripod mount dish for back-up to the 2X and if I'm going to be stationary for more than 4 or 5 days. There are limitations to running 2 tvs off the 2X [that's why the previous poster has 2 of them] and the tripod mounted DishHD eliminates all that and cost a h*ll of a lot less than the 2X. It has given me an idea though and may pick up a used tailgater if I find one for a low price.
The Winguard 2X is auto, correct? And the DishHD is a manual adjustment, correct?

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
Old 11-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #14

Additionally the 7000 will only feed one TV, correct? Understanding the Windguard has two feeds with the salve connection having limited channel viewing. But still...

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010