Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

Power Converter question???

After my last trip I noticed the battery wasn't charged or holding a charge. I had no power for the lights, etc. when disconnected from shore power. Shore power works just fine. I had a brand new replacement battery, fully charged. I swapped batteries and still no power when disconnected from shore power. All fuses in the converter are good and none of the breakers had tripped. Any thoughts on what may be the problem? Could the power converter be bad? I'm lost at this point and really would rather try to find the problem before resorting to taking it to a repair shop.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

in line fuse by the battery is good?
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

plus some trailers have a battery disconnect switch ( mine doesn't) .
Old 09-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Along with the 30amp fuse at the battery (as mentioned), also check that all the wire connections at the converter/charger are tight (if you have access to them).

What model year Jayco do you have?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #5

There is two layers of fuses between the Converter/Charger and the battery terminals. One is IN-LINE very close to the battery terminal. This can also be a resettable circuit breaker on the newer trailer....

The next fused layer is called the REVERSE POLARITY FUSES which are located at the 12VDC Power Distribution areas. These are large VALUE fuses...

About the only that makes these fuses blow is actually connecting the BATTERIES in the wrong POLARITY...

Also some trailers have a DISCONNECT BATTERY SWITCH installed between the battery terminals and the 12VDC Power Distribution panel.

Its easy to check what may be at fault. You have already indicated that the ceiling lights work when plugged into shore power. This tells you the on-board converter/charger unit is functioning and is connected.

The next step is start at the battery terminals using a DC MULTIMETER and start looking at connections between the battery terminals and the 12VDC Power Distribution Panel. Something is disconnected if your battery read 12.6VDC with the MULTIMETER at their terminals.

Also make sure the battery polarity is configured correctly before replace any blown fuses you find. Other they will just blow again. Hand trace the battery case marked NEG BATTERY TERMINAL and make sure this cable goes directly to the TRAILER FRAME GROUND which will be very close to the battery terminals.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

did you test your old battery or did you just replace it assuming it was no good?
Old 09-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #7

What can I say but WOW and THANKS to everyone of you.

I completely forgot about in line fuse because I had wrapped it all in that plastic stuff from Home Depot to make it look pretty. Sure enough the in line fuse was blown. Switched it out and all is working fine. Of course my father-in-law reminded me that if I had known the original battery was not maintenance free it would have never run dry on water and shorted out. I don't think i ever opened the battery box to look at it until this problem came up. At least I now I know better and bought a maintenance free battery.
Well again I thank each and every one of you who helped me out here. Don't ever underestimate what you guys do for folks like me. I truly hope that as I gain more experience with my trailer I will be able to pay it forward and help someone else.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote