Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #1

Power Inverter Help

Will a 800 watt inverter be enough power for my campers lights and outlets. its only going to be powering a small tv and the lights?
Kmazzeo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #2

The word "inverter" is a generic word. When you say "inverter", do you mean:

A - Generator / Inverter - that plugs into the trailer's main Power cable?
re: http://www.generators-manufacturer.c...or-CE-EPA-.jpg

B - Power Inverter - that connects to trailer's onboard 12 Volt battery?
re: http://invertersofpower.com/images/inverter1.jpg

thanks.
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #3

Inverter

The inverter that connects to a battery. i have a deep cycle batter and i want to see if a 800 watt inverters would be enough to power the two outlets and the light. The outlets will only be powering a small tv and dvd player.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

If I remember correctly, internal lighting is 12V bulbs. Thus, they run off your 12V battery - when shore power cord is disconnected from its source. To check, simply disconnect your TT's main power cord and turn a few lights on. If they work, then the light is 12V based (which runs directly off the battery).

To "size" your needed Power Invertor (from 12V to 110/120V), read the back of your TV and CD/DVD Player. View its wattage numbers and "double check" on their manufacture Web sites as well. For example, an LCD TV might use between 90 - 130 Watts - as described within: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_w...nch_lcd_tv_use

After obtaining the TV's wattage usage, do the same wattage investigation with the DVD/CD Player. Perhaps it consumes 75 Watts. Add both together and one gets their "on average" combined wattage size. For example, total of 100 + 75 (as examples).

Do the same "wattage" check for items plugged into the wall outlets. Remember that coffee pots and hair dryers love watts.

Note: The Power Inverter connected to 12V battery doesn't power the Wall outlets. Only its own outlets are live. Thus, your usual TT 110V devices would have to be unplugged from the TT wall outlet and plugged into the Power Inverter's outlets. Plugging the TT's main power cable into the TT's shore power cable would create a loop. Thus, best to have Power Inverter connected directly to 12V battery - using thick 10 - 8 guage wiring. Higher the Power Invertor wattage load, thicker the 12 wiring (to its 12V battery source).

Hope this helps in your research....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmazzeo26 View Post
The inverter that connects to a battery. i have a deep cycle batter and i want to see if a 800 watt inverters would be enough to power the two outlets and the light. The outlets will only be powering a small tv and dvd player.

That is plenty to power a small TV and DVD Player. As others have said, you should have 12 volt lights. If you are trying to power a 120v light, you will want CFL or better yet LED.

Not knowing what kind of battery you have, hard to say the run time but it should be several hours.

What kind of TT do you have?

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #6

Inverter

Would i just be able to hook the inverter up to the battery and plug my camper into the inverter?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #7

I looked at doing that and you cant easily do it. If you were to just plug in, your converter/charger would also be powered. The inverter would more than likely cut off and not be able to provide the power and if it could, you would be creating a loop.

Check out this post http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=1888 for some more info on what you are trying to do.

Thx!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote