Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #1

Power Inverter Question

This might be a dumb question but i am dying to know the answer. If i were to buy a power inverter with a large amount of power say 1200 watt would this work? The inverter has 2 outlets on it, and will be hooked up to a 12v deep cycle battery. Could i use one outlet to plug in my 8' pop up camper and one outlet to plug in a battery tender to hook up to the same battery?
Kmazzeo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #2

And I may be a dumb reader. If I understand you correctly, you are wanting to run a 12v to 110v convertor off of a battery, then run AC from the convertor to your camper? Then you also want to run a battery tender from the convertor that goes to the same battery you are running the convertor from? I see no problem with running AC to your camper. I'm not sure what you mean by battery tender but if it a unit that maintains the charge on a battery, that won't work.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

No dumb questions around here....

Not sure I totally understand what you are trying to do....see this post and see if it helps at all

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=1888

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #4

Looping isn't allowed. re: Battery to Power Inverter to Battery Charger to same battery.

However....

Battery (NOT connected to the PU), to Power Invertor to PU's 110/120V main power cord would work. This is NOT a looped configuration. To keep battery charged, one might connect a solar panel (very large solar panel) charging system to the battery. From a white board diagram, this would work. Especially if all ON items within the TT (re: CO Detector, LCD TV, CD/DVD Player, etc. etc) do NOT exceed 1,000 watts load. Remember that Power Inverter should NOT be loaded over 80%. Thus, allowing some buffer room for the item's "start up" watts demand. Unknown to some, a device has 2 different watts numbers. Their Start Up number and Running number. For 12V lighting, the Convertor will convert 110V power to 12V power. Remember to include Converter watts usage in your max 1,000 watts load as well.

If doing the above, remember to turn all "large demand" 110/120V items off. re: Fridge (turn it to 12V + LP gas), Heater and large demand 110V items (like hair dryers and Coffee pots) off.

Good luck....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote