Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2011, 04:32 AM   #1

Power problem

Hi new member here, also I am a pretty new owner of a Jayco Jay Feather Ultra lite 27p. Last year at the end of the season when we unplugged our camper from the 30-50 amp adapter we noticed a hot spot and the plug would not come out and had to be replaced this year. When we ended the season everything worked in the camper. So I put a new plug on and when we plugged in not everything worked, just the microwave and an outlet in the bedroom. After checking the plug, fuses and breakers we plugged the camper into our truck and everything worked for awhile. I was told by some people that it sounds like my Power converter, any thoughts on this? Also is there a way to check the power converter before buying a new one? If this is the converter is there a cheap place to get one, thanks for all the help.

Rich
AMAZINFAN69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #2

First of all - Welcome to the Forum Rich, glad you found us! If you have a second, please come on over to the new member section and introduce yourself.

That does sound like your converter based on what you describe. Pretty much everything in your TT runs on 12 volts but your Air Cond, micro, fridge (when not on propane) and the outlets. Your 12 volt side consists all the lights, furnace, and other accessories.

When you are on battery or hooked to your tow vehicle, it powers your 12 volt system. When you are plugged into shore power, the converter supplies power to the 12 volt side and also charges the battery. If neither of these are happening and you have checked all the fuses and breakers - then more than likely, you are correct about the converter.

You can get them at any RV dealer or online stores (like tweetys.com). Converter will run you like $150 plus install if you dont do it yourself.

Let us know how it turns out!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #3

To help understand your RV's 110/120V & 12V system and how "current" flows around, surf below picture.

Based on our RV's situation, it sounds like the 110/120V side is live. If 12V side is dead, ensure the AC/DC Convertor is plugged into its 110/120V outlet (not being funny but `sometimes` its plug can vibrate out during rough road trips), its 110/120V breaker is ON and its 12V fuses are ok. Ensure all looks good and 110/120V is going to its plug. With disconnected "onboard" 12V battery (to stop 12V back feeding), take a simple 12V Pen light (aka: 12V pen probe) and test its 12V "out put" ports (of the AC/DC Convertor). These ports might be white and black. Or, red and white. Or, black and white. Regardless, often thick 8 or 6 guage wires are connected into each output port. If NO 12V power coming out the AC/DC Convertor's 12V ports, then the AC/DC Convertor is shot. View diagram to understand "current flow" on both its 110/120V and 12V sides.

Hope this helps...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #4

Wow guys you are great and I have good news. I went to the campsite last night to double check the fuses my wife's uncle was there and he had a meter to test them all and they were good. So my next step was to make sure all wires were hooked up to the converter when we noticed the converter had a fuse. Surprise surprise surprise the fuse was bad, I had a spare with me and bam all better. Thanks for all your help and taking the time to give me some great info, I have learned a lot already. Happy Camping........
AMAZINFAN69 is offline   Reply With Quote