Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #1

Problem with blowing out black tank flusher with air ?

For background, I replaced the leaking check valve in the built-in black tank flusher last season (2012). It has worked flawlessly until now. Am used to just draining the FW tank and water system, followed by pumping in antifreeze, for my winterization.

This year, since we had a freezing cold spell the week before our last trip of the season, and since a lot of y'all blow out your systems with air, I decided to drain the entire system, and blow it out, so I wouldn't have to remove the antifreeze and sanitize the system, just for one final weekend. Air blow-out included the black tank flusher.

Filled up the system again with water for the last trip, and then went to dump and use the flusher just before we left. All of a sudden, lots of water came out of the flusher check valve, and all over the basement compartment below. Would have expected the check valve to last more than one season, but this one now leaks as bad as the 8 year old one it replaced.

My question: Do you think that the air blow out last week could have damaged or unseated the check valve in some way and made it leak ? Bear in mind that it has worked perfectly for over a year, until now, and this is the only thing that I have done differently in that year.

Appreciate any and all comments/opinions on the subject. Thanks
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #2

Anything is possible I suppose....

I winterize my black tank flush line with air... and I also have a check valve on it. I have had no issues and I'm going on 3yrs.
The check valve I am using is listed on THIS PAGE from RVwaterfilterstore.com

Only thing that I do that may be of interest is when I am blowing out the black flush line - I start with very low air pressure and slowly turn up the air pressure until I'm running about 30PSI. My thought for doing so (which my be completely off base) was that it wouldn't be a sudden burst and stress any connections.

Like I say... it may be a moot point... but it's been working.
Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #3

I have a winterizing tool I made back when we still had a pop up.

I took about a 15" piece of 3" diameter PVC pipe. On the upper end I installed an end cap with a tire valve stem. On the other end is a 90 degree bend and a male garden hose fitting.

With the PVC pipe horizontal, I fill the PVC tool with the pink antifreeze through the hose fitting. Then with it upside down so the anti-freeze doesn't pour out, I hook it up to the garden hose fitting for the city water connection or black tank flusher. As I tighten the garden hose fitting, I rotate the PVC tool to an upright position with the tire valve stem on top. Then I take the air hose from my compressor and force the antifreeze from the PVC tool and into the plumbing for the city water connection or black tank flusher.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Site Team

IF the flusher is installed properly, all the water from the check valve to the inlet should drain out when you disconnect the water supply. Any not will be pushed thru with very little air pressure.

Sounds like your check valve may be stuck.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #5

Have talked with the manufacturer of my vacuum breaker (check valve), and he says that these valves are a bit sensitive to high pressure, and that I could have put too much air pressure on it while blowing out. Therefore I am replacing it with a new one, and just let the water drain out next time instead of blowing air.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote