Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #1

Problem with very long dump valve handle

So, the black waste valve is on one side of my 36FS and the dump is on the other side. There's a 3' handle attached to a 3' extension and the handle has come undone from the extension - and the end of the extension is in the middle of the RV unreachable from either side (and from underneath), and it's so bent I can't unscrew it from the dump valve.

So, I'm thinking my only option is to take the valve out so I can get at the extension. And if I do that, I don't want to put it back together the same screwed up way. Does anyone have experience with either the powered/motorized valves or the cable operated valves? The valve is right under the DC distribution panel and I have an empty slot I could use for it. Do the cable ones work?

Is there another way to make a 6' extension for a dump valve?
workingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #2

When my rod came unscrewed from the valve somewhere about 4 feet in from the side and covered from below. If it is just the coroplast covering I cut a flap in it big enough to get my hand in so I could get to it. Then used some lock tight on the threads when I screwed it back in. Then used some gorilla tap to seal my flap back shut
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:34 AM   #3

Thanks - so you cut in from the bottom? I was thinking about that.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #4

Yes the coroplast or whatever it is is not that hard to cut, a good utility knife will go through it no problem. I needed my hole big enough to put my hand in as my handle/rod had just come unscrewed from the valve. I had no idea how long it was so I cut one hole to take a look at the valve (I did not know what was wrong just that it wouldn't open) where I thought it might be and was wrong. Had to cut a second hole farther in and was pleasantly surprised to find the rod had just come unscrewed from the valve. So with my second hole I was able to access the end of the rod enough to put some lock tight on it and to screw it back into the valve. Then just used some gorilla tape to seal my flap/s back up. I would cut the hole bigger than you think you might need just so you dont have to go back and enlarge which is not a big deal but it would just be easier to seal it back up.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #5

So, I rolled under the rig, all ready to cut the hole, and the worlds largest gas tank is running down the middle of the rig right where I need to get. Now I've got to figure out if where I can cut the hole will allow me to get to the extension. It may be easier to unbolt the valve and pull it out to get at the extension.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #6

For anyone that finds this thread in the future. I was able to cut the hole between the gas tank and the frame rail below the dump valve. The dump valve handle is made up of a handle and then a relay rod that threads on to the valve and the handle can thread into. My case, pushing hard on the handle had bent the relay rod. That bend made it impossible to remove from either side of the RV, but I was able to get it off through the hole I cut in the underside of the RV.

Once out, two things were clear. 1) the rod had been bent, 2) the 4 inch piece of all thread that connected the handle to the relay rod had back all the way into the relay rod. Apparently, every time you operate the handle, the all thread would go a little farther into the relay rod until there was less than an 1/8" sticking out for the handle to attach to. None of this was repairable with the relay rod in the RV.

Straightening the rod was easy, it's soft aluminum. I've put loctite on the all thread so that it won't move any more. And I'm still thinking about how to stiffen the relay rod so that it won't bend again.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #7

Some thoughts on stiffening the rod
you could get some small diameter tubing of aluminum or whatever slide the rod through it perhaps drill a hole in it and use like a set screw to hold it in place, or tape up each end of the tube to the rod. Even just tape a dowel rod to it, Maybe get some small fuel line or the like and run the rod through it taping the ends. You just dont want it to be too heavy.