Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2021, 06:36 AM   #1

Progressive Industries EMS Fail

Mornin', all!

Couple days ago our Progressive Industries PT50X portable EMS failed with an "E8" error code (low line frequency). Also displayed "PE8", which means Previous Error. The inverter took over, and we were on battery power. This is in our Precept 31UL, by the way. What was strange, though, was the outlets on the driver's side of the coach were dead; passenger side was fine. Oh, and the circuit breakers in the coach had no affect on the power. Anyone care to venture a guess as to the reason for those two symptoms?

Anyway, I shut down the breaker on the pedestal, unplugged the EMS, and contacted the RV park office. They sent out the maintenance guy who checked the pedestal and all was well. We plugged the EMS back in and still registered the two error codes. So, the park owner's coach was right next to ours, and with the owner's permission the maintenance guy borrowed their EMS (same model, as it happened). Took a few minutes to power up, but all was OK.

I noticed the instructions for the EMS said that the "PE" code would clear/reset after disconnecting; mine didn't. Instructions said to fill out warranty claim available online for a new unit. So I did, complete with a couple of required pictures and proof of purchase. Since I got it from Amazon, I had no receipt, but was able to pull up the Amazon notification of shipment. That was May of 2020.

One hour later (!) I received an email from PI saying the claim was approved and a new one would be on its way. Very happy here, and kudos to Progressive Industries!
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:49 AM   #2

They have been quick to answer my questions.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #3

Nice to hear they promptly took care of you. First I've ever heard of a problem like that. Try it at your next RV park and see if the problem repeats.

I had a very minor problem the the power cord on mine. Filled out their warranty form, sent a few photos, and had a new one on my porch in 6 days. No hassle what so ever.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Nice to hear they promptly took care of you. First I've ever heard of a problem like that. Try it at your next RV park and see if the problem repeats....

Regrettably, it'll have to wait - winterized it yesterday and it's tucked away in storage. A bit early, but we have plans for the next three months that don't include camping.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #5

Well, that was fast! UPS just delivered the replacement EMS. Thanks, Progressive Industries!
Old 11-20-2021, 08:27 AM   #6

I am on my second one and have found that even though it says weather resistant, water still gets in sometimes and that's when I have seen some erratic error messages, voltage readings, etc....I kept the first one since as when it dried out inside it works fine...now have a back up just in case.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Mornin', all!

Couple days ago our Progressive Industries PT50X portable EMS failed with an "E8" error code (low line frequency). Also displayed "PE8", which means Previous Error.
Mine failed about 5 years ago with these same codes. My new one with the weathershield was on my doorstep in 6 days.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:39 AM   #8

It's beginning to sound like this is a common enough occurrence that PI doesn't much question when a claim comes in...
Old 11-21-2021, 09:04 AM   #9

Whether it's so common that they don't question it or not, I cannot say. I like to think that they are just excellent at customer service and stand behind their product. They have been great to deal with in the past and have helped me out multiple times with questions and replacements.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Whether it's so common that they don't question it or not, I cannot say. I like to think that they are just excellent at customer service and stand behind their product. They have been great to deal with in the past and have helped me out multiple times with questions and replacements.

I quite agree. Very impressed with their service.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #11
Site Team

They don't question it if you have proof you purchased it new from them or some other company.

I bought one used and they turned me away but that's the policy and I was ok with it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #12

They just replaced mine, for some reason it would not reset, there were no error codes it just would not work. The new showed up in about a week from me submitting the online form.
Peoples16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #13

I just installed their hardwired version inside the storage compartment where my reel is. We did this after running into a problem at a campground in Utah where the power and ground were incorrectly wired at the post in our space. Glad to hear they have good customer service! It's their part number EMS-LCHW50. 50 amp, works with 30 amp service as well.
Randy G is offline   Reply With Quote