Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2022, 07:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Why not change our the regulator to an auto changeover type. You can open both tanks and go to sleep. In the morning look at the change over device and see if the tanks have changed over. If it has remove the empty tank an go fill it. Unless you use more than an full tank over night you should be all set for getting a full night of sleep.
Exactly!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 08:34 PM   #22

I bought a hand held digital scale from Amazon, model H-110, and weigh the tank that I have been using when I get home. Only takes a few minutes to do and then I know exactly how much LP I have left in the tank. Just subtract the TW weight stamped on the tank from the scales weight measurement and you know just how much is left in the tank. I usually weigh the tank only if we have used a larger amount of LP on the trip. There are lots of digital scales on Amazon.
rccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 06:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Why not change our the regulator to an auto changeover type. You can open both tanks and go to sleep. In the morning look at the change over device and see if the tanks have changed over. If it has remove the empty tank an go fill it. Unless you use more than an full tank over night you should be all set for getting a full night of sleep.
I already have an auto reg and it works fine. That's how it can be missed and end up with 2 empty tanks. Keeping one shut off I know I always have plenty left. I just fill the empty one when I run out. It would just be nice to take a peek at a gauge and see how close I am to getting to the end.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:13 AM   #24

Quote:
It would just be nice to take a peek at a gauge and see how close I am to getting to the end.
Cliff, I added these propane gauges to my TT for the reason you stated. They work well.

https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Indic...a-827065895913
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDagny View Post
Cliff, I added these propane gauges to my TT for the reason you stated. They work well.

https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Indic...a-827065895913
That's the kind I was thinking of.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-29-2022, 10:08 AM   #26

I have the JayCommand setup and sensors, they are identical if not made by the same company that makes the Mopeka ones. But they WORK and work great! The best part is no fiddling around with temp sensors or hot/cold water etc... just get a divining rod and it would probably work the same as those solutions :-)

Yes they do have batteries and yes you do have to replace those however they lasted about 1yr and that was using/viewing the measurements pretty regularly throughout the that year.

I would also recommend Gas-stop add ons vs those other gauges. They will protect while the others do not.
Old 12-29-2022, 10:28 AM   #27

I was seasonal for over 20 years and we used hot water for testing. At home on my grill I have one of the old pressure gages and it works great, when it goes red I'm out or I will be within minutes. But you have to realize where I live it actually gets cold -30. If I use the grill at-20 to cook and I run out, I can use that tank for days when it gets warm
Old 12-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Who is using a gauge to measure your propane? Are they very accurate? The reason I ask is that I don't like to open both bottles at once so I don't screw up and run out. But I also don't like running out of heat in the middle of the night.
I had one of these and always left it on, it will change over and that Red will let you know when your out, just turn the knob and get the other tank filled, when that one goes empty just flip the switch over. BMPRO makes sensor kits for RVs and it's Bluetooth
Attached Thumbnails
Regular.jpg  
Old 12-29-2022, 11:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I had one of these and always left it on, it will change over and that Red will let you know when your out, just turn the knob and get the other tank filled, when that one goes empty just flip the switch over. BMPRO makes sensor kits for RVs and it's Bluetooth
I have something similar now but it may change over and go unnoticed. My tanks have a cover that hides the indicator. With a gauge I can just open the lid and easily see what left. Of course that is only if it's accurate.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-31-2022, 01:01 PM   #30

I purchased some propane tanks from Costco ($30 ea).
I' ve been using them on my bbq's at home for several years now. They actually tell me how much is in the tank.
Unlike the ones you scew on, they just tell you your empty ( hell I new that).
I just put them on my trailer for next year, I'll see if the road vibration effects the gauge. It'll be nice to know my propane smount for a change.
Gary Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:26 PM   #31

I use Mopeka

I use the Mopeka tank gauges. Attach to the bottom. Very accurate and they are Bluetooth so when you are near with your phone you can monitor. I also have a Mopeka bridge that bridges Bluetooth and wireless so when I'm away from the trailer I can monitor and get alerts if one of the tanks falls below 10%.
I like it. There are reviews about battery life on the monitors but I've had no issues with the batteries. I also purchased the tank rings that raise the tank a little so the monitor has clearance. The monitors come with aluminum clips that go on the bottom ring of the tank to raise it, but they tend to fall off.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20221231-143843.jpg  
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:39 PM   #32

We carry a 3rd 30 lb tank. Our pinnacle has a spot for it.
2002 Dodge 2500
2019 Ram 3500
Kevin and Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Who is using a gauge to measure your propane? Are they very accurate? The reason I ask is that I don't like to open both bottles at once so I don't screw up and run out. But I also don't like running out of heat in the middle of the night.
You can buy sensors that mount to the bottom of tanks. there are apps you install on your phone I have been using them for a couple years now you just have to change the batteries on the sensors every year.
robert66r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert66r View Post
You can buy sensors that mount to the bottom of tanks. there are apps you install on your phone I have been using them for a couple years now you just have to change the batteries on the sensors every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3kirk View Post
I use the Mopeka tank gauges. Attach to the bottom. Very accurate and they are Bluetooth so when you are near with your phone you can monitor. I also have a Mopeka bridge that bridges Bluetooth and wireless so when I'm away from the trailer I can monitor and get alerts if one of the tanks falls below 10%.
I like it. There are reviews about battery life on the monitors but I've had no issues with the batteries. I also purchased the tank rings that raise the tank a little so the monitor has clearance. The monitors come with aluminum clips that go on the bottom ring of the tank to raise it, but they tend to fall off.
I was just looking at that. That just might be the answer.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-31-2022, 02:43 PM   #35

Propane gauge

Just pour a cup of warm water over the side of tank. It will give you a clear line of where the level is.
darlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 03:14 PM   #36

So you have 2 so you have a switch over valve that turns red when one tank is empty?
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 03:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlos View Post
Just pour a cup of warm water over the side of tank. It will give you a clear line of where the level is.
That requires removing the cover to see the bottle.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-31-2022, 03:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyof5 View Post
So you have 2 so you have a switch over valve that turns red when one tank is empty?
That's correct. And if it switches to red unnoticed, it's possible to have 2 empty bottles.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-31-2022, 03:52 PM   #39

Quote:
I've had to go outside in the middle of the night because of just what you're currently doing. I now have both bottles open. I check the regulator every 2-3 days in warmer weather to see if the bottle it's running on is out. I check every morning in cooler weather. That gives me enough time to get it filled that day. We haven't run out since and I haven't had to run out in the middle of a cold night.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:09 PM   #40

Pitman44: I've seen those guage, does it hurt them if they are left attrached to the tank while your traveling?
Gary Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote