Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-24-2022, 04:48 PM   #1

Propane Gauge

Who is using a gauge to measure your propane? Are they very accurate? The reason I ask is that I don't like to open both bottles at once so I don't screw up and run out. But I also don't like running out of heat in the middle of the night.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:33 PM   #2

I have one of the screw on gauge.
They go off pressure so pretty useless.
Unless you buy the type that goes in the tank hot water poured on outside of tank is best indicator.
I know the have ones that go on bottom of tank and update your phone with an app. Too privy for me so far.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:43 PM   #3

I use my very cheap infrared thermometer (20.00$) to get the LPG level. Its accurate enough and the thermometer can be use to check numerous thing like your tire wheel bearing temps etc etc ... Mopeka offer a nice product but it serve only one purpose, so for me its the thermometer or hot water

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
I use my very cheap infrared thermometer (20.00$) to get the LPG level. Its accurate enough and the thermometer can be use to check numerous thing like your tire wheel bearing temps etc etc ... Mopeka offer a nice product but it serve only one purpose, so for me its the thermometer or hot water
Great idea with the thermometer!
Going to use that one myself
Thank you

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:49 PM   #5

The dial gauge on our 20-pound home BBQ tank is worthless. It will show near empty when it’s half full. I can lift the tank up and shake it and tell within a quarter-gallon how much is left. I do the same with my TT tanks, but not until I know we are getting down pretty far. After five years and 10,000+ miles, I have a pretty good idea how much I’ll use in a given time. If it’s getting near empty, I will open the second tank before going to bed to avoid a surprise.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
I'll have to try that. I have one but never thought about using it. Thanks.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-24-2022, 07:21 PM   #7

I use the same method many here do. I leave one tank closed until I run the in use one dry. Then I switch over and get the empty one filled. It does happen that occasionally I run out in the middle of the night especially since heating season is towards the end of our camping for the year. I have not found anything that works well enough for me.

I am going to try the IR thermometer thing though.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Ok I tried it. It was about 34° outside and the readings I got were lower on the upper part of the tank and higher down low. Does that sound right? I would have thought the other way around.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-24-2022, 08:02 PM   #9

Try the coffee test. Pour a cup of hot water down the side for 10 or 20 seconds. LP conducts the heat faster than the empty part. Test quickly to find the level.
You can use coffee but water will work (LOL).
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:17 AM   #10

I bought one of the propane pressure gauges a years ago at a second hand store for a couple of bucks. Read full until the tank was empty. Another worthless product!
The Mopeka and Jaycommand tank gauges use sound to gauge lp level but are pricey and require batteries, just another device to fail. Hot water does work, and if your tanks are bolted down it may be a good way to go.

My 5er's tanks are strapped in so it's easy for me to disconnect the strap, tilt the tank slightly and rock it a couple of times and stop. With a little experience you can get an idea of remaining LP quantity by how much it sloshes.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Ok I tried it. It was about 34° outside and the readings I got were lower on the upper part of the tank and higher down low. Does that sound right? I would have thought the other way around.
the thermometer works better if you have an accessory running like the stove or the furnace.

But the intersection where you have a temperature change is good enough accessory running or not to get a good idea , and to convince yourself test before , after or at the same time with hot water

to avoid any confusion do it dry with the thermometer only with no accessories running , draw a line on the tank or place a small magnet where the temp change , than do it with hot water and your hand, followed with the thermometer .... you should be pretty close please report your finding since i never did it with no accessories running :-)

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 12:42 PM   #12

Just went out on my 20 lb bottle. It is about 37 degrees F. here in Florida. Tried with nothing burning LP and no noticeable difference with a laser temp gauge. Poured a cup of very hot water down side and tried the laser gauge going slowly up and down the side. Was able to detect a jump from 100 plus top to about 40 degrees on bottom with accuracy of about 1/2 inch.

I used the same laser temp gun I use to check my hubs and tires while traveling. Costs about $15 on Amazon.
I used to run my hand up and down but this is more accurate than my old finger tips.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #13
Site Team

My fil gave me one of those gauges a few years back. I took it back to CW and got a refund. The one I had before was useless.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 02:39 PM   #14

I have used the internal float type gauges for 30 years and they seem to work well. The trick is to run the tank to empty to see where the needle ends up. Just like a fuel gauge in a vehicle, you never really know until it is totally empty. How much time remains after the gauge hits empty is the trick.

On my previous camper I had dual 7 gal tanks with gauges. It had the auto tank switch over when one tank went empty. Never had a problem with the auto switch. I always tested it before a trip by running my propane generator (Lance Camper with built-in propane generator) and turning off the tank valve so it would switch. Once verified it switched without hickup to the generator I would test the other tank in the same way.

Why not just let the switch handle things and just wait for a tank to go empty before turning off the valve and refilling?

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 03:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I have used the internal float type gauges for 30 years and they seem to work well. The trick is to run the tank to empty to see where the needle ends up. Just like a fuel gauge in a vehicle, you never really know until it is totally empty. How much time remains after the gauge hits empty is the trick.

On my previous camper I had dual 7 gal tanks with gauges. It had the auto tank switch over when one tank went empty. Never had a problem with the auto switch. I always tested it before a trip by running my propane generator (Lance Camper with built-in propane generator) and turning off the tank valve so it would switch. Once verified it switched without hickup to the generator I would test the other tank in the same way.

Why not just let the switch handle things and just wait for a tank to go empty before turning off the valve and refilling?
Because if I miss when it switches I run out completely. If I'm not in a position to get it filled, I'm screwed. With one closed, I always know to get one filled.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #16

I have green (full), yellow (in use), and red (empty) yarn I attach to the tanks and get up in the middle of the night grumbling and fussy to close one tank and open the other. Then move the yarns around. Damnit, it's worked for thirty years, why stop now? Lol
Old 12-25-2022, 04:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Because if I miss when it switches I run out completely. If I'm not in a position to get it filled, I'm screwed. With one closed, I always know to get one filled.
How about just keeping a third tank on hand? I always had my pair of 30 pounders, plus a 20 pounder, just-in-case tank.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 04:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
How about just keeping a third tank on hand? I always had my pair of 30 pounders, plus a 20 pounder, just-in-case tank.
If you have space that's a good idea. Unfortunately, most travel trailers don't have storage space for an extra tank. I rarely use propane for anything but cooking so it is not an issue. However, with the extreme cold we have had I found it necessary to run the furnace to keep the underbelly from freezing. Fortunately, that doesn't happen often in Houston, TX.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-25-2022, 05:16 PM   #19
Site Team

This cold snap we are having now is the exception.

There is always a couple each season but enough already!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 04:54 PM   #20

Why not change our the regulator to an auto changeover type. You can open both tanks and go to sleep. In the morning look at the change over device and see if the tanks have changed over. If it has remove the empty tank an go fill it. Unless you use more than an full tank over night you should be all set for getting a full night of sleep.