Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2018, 09:25 PM   #1

Propane Pressure Regulator Question

I have a Coleman Roadtrip Propane Grill. I want to make a hose that I can plug into my Propane quick connect on the camper and attach to the grill. I have found all the fittings I need to hook it directly from the Camper quick disconnect to the grill. My question is will the grill function properly using regulated pressure from the Camper to the regulator on the grill? The grill regulator usually receives full pressure from the propane tank. This grill has a special regulator that can't be disconnected and bypassed. Not sure if the low pressure from the camper will travel through the grill regulator.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #2

Most of the time you have to remove the regulator on the BBQ if you want to use the quick connects on the trailer.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
neil11975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #3

This question comes up a lot.

You need to remove the Coleman's regulator. With 2 regulators in the line, the pressure drops to the point where it's all but useless.

And since the Coleman uses a proprietary fitting, it can be a real challenge to build your own, although there is an excellent YouTube video that shows how to do it and what parts you'll need.

Or there's another, much easier approach. Get a Torjik Converta-C kit. Here it is on the Torjik website:

http://torjik.com/#_convertac

Google it for other sources. IIRC, Coleman themselves is actually now selling it.

Good luck.

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
This question comes up a lot.

You need to remove the Coleman's regulator. With 2 regulators in the line, the pressure drops to the point where it's all but useless.

And since the Coleman uses a proprietary fitting, it can be a real challenge to build your own, although there is an excellent YouTube video that shows how to do it and what parts you'll need.

Or there's another, much easier approach. Get a Torjik Converta-C kit. Here it is on the Torjik website:

http://torjik.com/#_convertac
TnHiker,

I just converted my Coleman stove in order to hook it to my camper's low pressure quick-connect; 'Twas easy thanks to some excellent advice from my fellow forum friends!

Here's two links for your consideration:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-54240.html

https://youtu.be/cq9yZ6y-H2s

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:03 AM   #5

I did the same conversion with my Coleman Roadtrip. There were a couple of things that I ran into that weren't very clear in any advice/instructions I found. 1)you need to make sure you get the male quick connect FULL FLOW plug. There are a couple different versions of that plug that are designed for low, high, or full pressure. You definitely want the FULL FLOW one, neither of the others worked for me. 2)For whatever reason, my male plug (tried 3 different plugs) would not fit into the female connector on the TT and lock into place. It would slide into but never lock the connection despite the amount of pressure put on it. The tapered end (non-threaded narrow end) was too long. I ended up having to take off the last 1/8" or so with a hacksaw and polished it up good on a grinder and it fits perfectly now. 3)Don't expect the same performance at the burners you would get from a short hose or propane bottle. It's close, and definitely usable, but I had to adjust my cooking times a little as it doesn't put out the same flame across the entire low-high nozzle range as it normally does. I use my quick connect hose setup for my grill and my gas fire pit and experience the same results with both appliances. Note: my hose length is almost 40' though as I cook under the awning near the door so the length may have something to do with that drop in pressure also. 4)The links shared by John have great info on how to remove the Coleman regulator. Just make sure the little spring doesn't pop out or drop when you take it apart. Without that spring, it's worthless. I had to look for mine for 20 minutes in tall grass.

HTH, let us know how it turns out.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #6

I like to bring an extra 20 lb. propane tank with me. I have a hose with a tee that feeds my grill and my outdoor stove. This way I always have a spare tank available in case the main trailer tank bites the dust.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #7

Weber Grill Converson

Our Weber works fine once we remove the grills regulator.Only problem first or second time.Thought I had shut the gas of to the grill.Did not emptied my entire propane tank over nite.Now we shut the grill off disconnect the hose from the camper!And put the camper shut off in the off position.You know just ole guy stuff lol!
Attached Thumbnails
100_0357.1584.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Our Weber works fine once we remove the grills regulator.Only problem first or second time.Thought I had shut the gas of to the grill.Did not emptied my entire propane tank over nite.Now we shut the grill off disconnect the hose from the camper!And put the camper shut off in the off position.You know just ole guy stuff lol!
This, to me, is another reason not to run your grill off your main tank. I turned mine on high one morning to burn off some old grease and forgot about it. When I got back that afternoon I had an empty tank...but the grill was clean!
Old 02-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
I did the same conversion with my Coleman Roadtrip. There were a couple of things that I ran into that weren't very clear in any advice/instructions I found. 1)you need to make sure you get the male quick connect FULL FLOW plug. There are a couple different versions of that plug that are designed for low, high, or full pressure. You definitely want the FULL FLOW one, neither of the others worked for me. 2)For whatever reason, my male plug (tried 3 different plugs) would not fit into the female connector on the TT and lock into place. It would slide into but never lock the connection despite the amount of pressure put on it. The tapered end (non-threaded narrow end) was too long. I ended up having to take off the last 1/8" or so with a hacksaw and polished it up good on a grinder and it fits perfectly now. 3)Don't expect the same performance at the burners you would get from a short hose or propane bottle. It's close, and definitely usable, but I had to adjust my cooking times a little as it doesn't put out the same flame across the entire low-high nozzle range as it normally does. I use my quick connect hose setup for my grill and my gas fire pit and experience the same results with both appliances. Note: my hose length is almost 40' though as I cook under the awning near the door so the length may have something to do with that drop in pressure also. 4)The links shared by John have great info on how to remove the Coleman regulator. Just make sure the little spring doesn't pop out or drop when you take it apart. Without that spring, it's worthless. I had to look for mine for 20 minutes in tall grass.

HTH, let us know how it turns out.

shrp
I ran into the fitting problem before - it's the fitting Jayco used/uses for the quick disconnect on the trailers external female fittings. I know the fitting is some off brand piece. I removed that female fitting and replaced it them with Camco fittings and then uses Camco hoses.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #10

Thanks for all the information. Many have confirmed my thought that regulated pressure into a regulator will no allow a burner to work properly. Good info on how to remove the regulator from the proprietary Coleman burner attachment. I'll get rid of the regulator and proceed. Thanks everyone.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHiker View Post
Thanks for all the information. Many have confirmed my thought that regulated pressure into a regulator will no allow a burner to work properly. Good info on how to remove the regulator from the proprietary Coleman burner attachment. I'll get rid of the regulator and proceed. Thanks everyone.
Keep the regulator - buy a female end for it and then you can still use small bottles if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
28345322079_ff74f8b856_z.jpg  

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote