Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #1

Propane problem

On Friday I took my new Seneca to fill up the propane. It had just under a half tank. I watched the attendant put 12.2 gallons in the tank. My gauge is upside down on my rv, but it registered full. I took it back home and put it in the garage. On Saturday I happened to look at the gauge, and it was on 1/4 tank. Nothing had been on, and I didn't smell gas. I can't imagine what happened. It was close to full when I picked the unit up from the dealer. I did use the heater over the last two weeks some and the propane useage seemed normal as compared to my last Jayco Greyhawk 31ss. I checked the gauge again yesterday (Sunday), and it was still on 1/4 tank. If there is a leak, shouldn't the rest leak out? Can the gauge be defective? I was thinking about going to refill the tank to see if it is still full. But if it isn't, then I don't want to fill it back up just to leak back out. Any one else had this problem?
ECGManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #2

I once on about a 8 year old TT. It was one of the hoses. It was leaking at the big plastic connecting knob. No matter how tight I had it it still would leak out of the valve. Changing the o-ring did not help either. I had to replace hose.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #3

Was the valve of the tank open or closed after you filled and connected the tank back to your trailer? This would help rule out some possibilities.

I would take the tank to a certified LP dealer and have them tell you if the tank is full or not. I would also recommend that until you figure out what is going on, store the tank outside -- you don't want any gas to buildup in an enclosed area.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #4

Put some water and dishwashing soap in a squirt bottle. Spray on the fittings, it will bubble where there is a leak.
hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #5

Okay, think I figured it out. As I mentioned before, the gauge was upside down. I grabbed it and twisted to see if it was loose, and the gauge just popped off. It is just a plastic fitting with a contact on the back. I turned it right side up and snapped it back on and it registered full. I am going to take it back and see if it holds any gas. If it accept very much, I won't fill it back up. I'll just take it to the dealer for repair.
ECGManager is offline   Reply With Quote