Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #1

Propane question

Has anyone tried this:

Modify a portable grill (hooks directly to disposable bottle) to connect to an RV's low pressure system?

I just bought a new TT and low pressure is available near the right rear.

But I already have a portable grill and hoses that link it between the tank and regulator on my old trailer.

I originally figured on getting a table-top low pressure grill. Web searches turn up wall-mounted and very pricey RV specific grills.

Is there a happy medium?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #2

Our 'happy medium' plan is to refill the small 'disposable' tanks from our home grill's, 20lb tanks. We use the small tanks for our portable grill that we really like and have had for a L-O-N-G time; just like our single mantle propane lantern.

We haven't needed to refill the disposable tanks yet, so I can't say how easy it will be to refill (but I've seen it on YouTube ). When we sold our class-B we found several tanks I had put in hidden places for 'just in case.'

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #3

99% of people should stick with what is factory produced. Others, you know who you are, the guys who build potato cannons, have put different engines in cars than were from the factory, service their own A/C systems, etc. Those guys could make your idea work. I'm one of those guys too. I have thought about doing this but have a few other items ahead of it and a stash of portable propane already purchased.

The standard disposable tank regulator has on the end of it, an orifice. That fits into the burner tube of grills for most common setups. What I'm saying is, if you have a spare regulator (these portable grills rust out, I have about 2 extra) could try cutting that orifice end part off, then since its very low PSI propane, make yourself a hose that connects from the TT connector to this, going through a valve to control the flow.

OK< this may not work at all, but you're asking for a home remedy correct? Its low pressure, but flammable. Be safe, and test carefully.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #4

On our old pop-up I put a "T" adapter in between one of the tanks and the regulator. This was an adapter I picked up a farm supply store. Then connected a long hose for the portable grill. With the changes in connectors over the years, I'm not sure such an animal still exists.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #5

I am going to be converting my outside quick connect gas line from regulated to non regulated. I will be adding a T before the regs and will put in a valve right there at the tanks for this line. Will disconnect existing line from manifold, put a plug in the manifold, and use a coupling to connect new line from tanks to existing line.

Edit to add: I already have the fittings to connect the hose directly to where the 1# bottle threads into. My grill will only work on HP propane. Got all the fittings off Amazon.
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #6

On thing to consider on those HP hose hookups, the hose required for that pressure is expensive, you definately don't want a home made connection, and at least for my old grill, the existing disposable style regulator did not flow enough to give a good flame and high heat. If you have a low-tech hose on the low pressure side and a ball valve, you should be able to have full control over the flames. I look forward to seeing more ideas and how y'all handle the hookups.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
99% of people should stick with what is factory produced. Others, you know who you are, the guys who build potato cannons, have put different engines in cars than were from the factory, service their own A/C systems, etc.
...snip...
Its low pressure, but flammable. Be safe, and test carefully.
I am sooooo one of the 'Other' kinds. I've never built a potato cannon, but does building one riding mower out of the pieces from three when I was 14 count? Keeping a 1965 Diesel backhoe/loader fully operational? What about the 3 compact tractors and various implements? MIG, TIG, stick and O/A welding? OK, I'm not good at O/A. A/C, AC/DC, 12V, 110V, 220V are all fun to fix, modify or upgrade.

And, at age 54, I still have all 10 fingers!

----------

The combination regulator and flow control you pictured is exactly the problem I am up against.

As I mentioned in my first post, I did tap into the high pressure side of my old trailer (totally rebuilt it, actually). And ran high pressure hose to the portable grill. Worked great.

Unfortunately, tapping into the new trailer's high pressure side will void warranties and be problematic with the combined two-stage regulator and semi-automatic changeover valve. Plus the plumbing is already in place for low pressure delivery.

--------------

So, what I need to find is a flow control valve (OFF/Hi-----Lo) that'll fit the burner tube and have a 3/8" flare inlet. The rest is standard parts.

Thanks.

Do you think Lowes/Home Depot stock such an item as a repair part?

I'll find out tonight. My ride home from the office passes 2 Home Depots and 1 Lowes.

I'll post what I find.

And proud of it!
Old 05-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #8

I used to refill 1 lb cans until I unscrewed one from the 20 lb tank and the valve was frozen open. I chucked it like a hand grenade and decided I was done doing that..
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
On our old pop-up I put a "T" adapter in between one of the tanks and the regulator. This was an adapter I picked up a farm supply store. Then connected a long hose for the portable grill. With the changes in connectors over the years, I'm not sure such an animal still exists.
The 1/4 pipe adapter to 1" fine (disposable cylinder) are still very available at Tractor Supply.

And the pre-assembled 8' high pressure hoses are carried by Wal*Mart.

I was able to keep all of the high pressure pieces 1/4 pipe.

And proud of it!
Old 05-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I used to refill 1 lb cans until I unscrewed one from the 20 lb tank and the valve was frozen open. I chucked it like a hand grenade and decided I was done doing that..
I've never been comfortable with the idea of 'refilling' the disposable cans.

We're not really refilling them. All we're doing is re-pressurizing them. No liquid gets into the smaller can.

And proud of it!