Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I had a problem last weekend with mine. I had the regulator pointed at my primary tank, both tank valves open. When the primary tank ran out (which I knew was going to happen, that's why I opened the valve on the secondary tank) the flow was VERY slow. Turns out that the safety valve in the 2nd tank valve had tripped. I couldn't get it to reset for the life of me. I kept putting it on and taking it off and could never get it to reset. Finally it happened. But bottom line is that I had to have one pigtail replaced under warranty, and now I'm thinking there's something wrong with the other one... But I couldn't get it to work with the new pigtail either, go figure. We'll see what happens.
This seems to be a common problem and most likely the pigtails are not bad. Modern propane systems have a safety device built in that prevents rapid loss o gas should a line rupture. There is an excess flow valve in the line that will close if the flow occurs over the normal low limit This can happen in two ways. One of course is when a line ruptures or is cut. The other happens when you start up from a long shut down when the lines in the camper are empty. Opening the valve on the bottles quickly can fool the safety valve and it will close and limit the flow to a very small amount. This small flow will not run a heater or a Fridge. You should make it a habit to always open the valves on your propane tanks slowly and this problem should not occur.

Reset can be accomplished by releasing the pressure in the line at the connection to the tank with the tank shut off. Tapping on the regulator may help. Then once the connection is tight again open the tank valve slowly and you should get good flow.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
This seems to be a common problem and most likely the pigtails are not bad. Modern propane systems have a safety device built in that prevents rapid loss o gas should a line rupture. There is an excess flow valve in the line that will close if the flow occurs over the normal low limit This can happen in two ways. One of course is when a line ruptures or is cut. The other happens when you start up from a long shut down when the lines in the camper are empty. Opening the valve on the bottles quickly can fool the safety valve and it will close and limit the flow to a very small amount. This small flow will not run a heater or a Fridge. You should make it a habit to always open the valves on your propane tanks slowly and this problem should not occur.

Reset can be accomplished by releasing the pressure in the line at the connection to the tank with the tank shut off. Tapping on the regulator may help. Then once the connection is tight again open the tank valve slowly and you should get good flow.

The pigtail I replaced was most definitely bad, it was leaking enough for me to hear. Though you may be right about this new problem. I just couldn't get the safety valve to reset after disconnecting, depressurizing, reconnecting, then turning on valve VERY slowly. It took a couple tries. The reason I think it might be the pigtail is that if it's not making a good seal with the valve, that could trigger the safety in the tank valve. The only reason I don't think it's the pigtail is that it happened the same way with the new pigtail... So I have some more troubleshooting to do...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #13

What a pigtail?
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie oakly View Post
What a pigtail?

Short hose from regulator to tank

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 06-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #15

I have never hear it called that before.

And I use on tank at a time on my trailer,
Have had the same problem with no gas, Then I remember to open the tank slowly
So I go out and shut it down, and start it all over again.

I have a soft cover on the tanks now, Much easier to get it off in the middle of the night, when it runs out.
Attached Thumbnails
008.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #16

I never use the auto feature because I want to know when a tank is empty. For me it is a reminder to get it filled. I don't want to be half way through cooking dinner and then find that we have NO gas at all.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
I never use the auto feature because I want to know when a tank is empty. For me it is a reminder to get it filled. I don't want to be half way through cooking dinner and then find that we have NO gas at all.
The dial on my auto-changeover valve is supposed to turn red when the service tank is empty. That's enough reminder for me. When it happens, I'll flip the service valve to the other tank, turn off the valve to the first tank, take it in and get it filled, then reinstall. I'll leave the valve pointed toward the 2nd tank (now the primary service tank) and just go back and forth like that. Then I'll ALWAYS have a minimum of one full 30 lb cylinder.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 06-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_bob View Post
the dial on my auto-changeover valve is supposed to turn red when the service tank is empty. That's enough reminder for me. When it happens, i'll flip the service valve to the other tank, turn off the valve to the first tank, take it in and get it filled, then reinstall. I'll leave the valve pointed toward the 2nd tank (now the primary service tank) and just go back and forth like that. Then i'll always have a minimum of one full 30 lb cylinder.

vboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #19

We are basically doing the same thing. It is such a PIA to take off the cover on our tanks that I only check is when the range goes out. The red band confirms that the tank is empty.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote