Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #1

Question for electricians

Below is a wiring schematic for a champion 2000 watt inverter generator, and below it is the wiring schematic for the 2000 watt inverter generator parallel kit.
I do not want to use the parallel kit and will be re-wiring it my way. There are three different ways it can be wired and I’m just curious which way you would use and why.

1 - Using the 20 amp overloads inside each generator, plug into the generators and Tie the output legs together and plug it into the trailer

2 - As per the parallel kit schematic tie both parallel outputs together and run them through a 30 amp breaker and into the trailer

3 - run each parallel output through a separate 15 amp breaker on the line side tie the load side together and run that to the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
B1D0E9C0-3316-4B91-A3B5-A8C5FFDE1427.jpg   3F3B4C57-5F5F-4421-9170-39967D16A37A.jpg  

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #2

Crazy question, but why do you not want to use the parallel kit? All the engineering has been done. Easy setup, easy tear down. Just curious.

I'm a Project Engineer who works a lot with control wiring systems. So I am no expert, so for now I'll keep my opinion to myself, as you want an electrician's perspective.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #3

Not sure if you are still planning on using two 2kw generators? or just using one ?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:14 AM   #4

You want to tie two generators together? No one does that. If one generator shuts down it will be back feed from the other generator which will energize the male end of the cord plugged in and if unplugged and touched may electrocute some one. In my opinion this is not a good idea at all. See post #2.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
You want to tie two generators together? No one does that. If one generator shuts down it will be back feed from the other generator which will energize the male end of the cord plugged in and if unplugged and touched may electrocute some one. In my opinion this is not a good idea at all. See post #2.
Many generators are designed to parallel two together, hence the parallel kit. With Honda you purchase one of the generators as a "Companion Generator" The companion generator has a the extra hardware integrated, and depending on the size of the generators, it has built in a 30 and/or 50 amp outlets. Champion you buy an add on device, that both generators send the power to, and you plug your load (aka RV) into that device.

What I like about the parallel kit, you can have two light weight generators, that you can run as individuals or you can tie together and get the capacity of a much larger generator.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Many generators are designed to parallel two together, hence the parallel kit. With Honda you purchase one of the generators as a "Companion Generator" The companion generator has a the extra hardware integrated, and depending on the size of the generators, it has built in a 30 and/or 50 amp outlets. Champion you buy an add on device, that both generators send the power to, and you plug your load (aka RV) into that device.

What I like about the parallel kit, you can have two light weight generators, that you can run as individuals or you can tie together and get the capacity of a much larger generator.

Yes, but the OP does not want to not use the Champion paralleling kit, his post isn't well written but I think he's talking about some "gerry" rigged system of connecting two generators.

OP:Below is a wiring schematic for a champion 2000 watt inverter generator, and below it is the wiring schematic for the 2000 watt inverter generator parallel kit.
I do not want to use the parallel kit and will be re-wiring it my way. There are three different ways it can be wired and I’m just curious which way you would use and why.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #7

Why not just buy a larger generator and avoid all of the wiring mods? By rewiring your setup to a custom design you now are responsible legally for anything that can happen. If anyone gets shocked, your rig burns down, whatever, you will be held responsible regardless of what caused the problem. Is it worth it?

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is online now   Reply With Quote