Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Question on where to connect wire for power jack

Hey everyone, just bought a new Jay Flight TT and also a Lippert power jack for it. Only wire on the jack is the positive wire. Just wondering where to connect this to? There is a red looking lego cap that the postitve wires runs from the battery to. Would this be a okay location for it?

See pic
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0912 (1).jpeg  
SK4102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #2

I connected my jack to the positive terminal on the battery, with a fuse in the line.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:32 PM   #3

Yeah that was my initial thoughts wiring right to battery. Guess I will do that, thanks!!
Old 08-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #4

I ran both a positive with a fuse and a ground wire direct to the battery. I put the fuse close enough so it stays inside the battery box and out of the weather. The dedicated ground because in the past the ground via the bolts went bad.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #5

I would recommend an auto circuit breaker for the Jack. The power jacks are notorious for blowing a fuses when you reach the end of travel.

Also when you install the jack, get a star washer and install between one or two of the mounting nuts and the frame. This will guarantee a good ground connection. Otherwise, make sure to sand off some of the paint on the frame. This option still allows rust to form and cause a poor ground connection over time. But it is better than just bolting it up and hope for a good ground.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:45 AM   #6

When I installed my jack all I had to do was crimp a connector on run thru the box and bolt it on the post adaptor.
Also did the star washer install like mentioned.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would recommend an auto circuit breaker for the Jack. The power jacks are notorious for blowing a fuses when you reach the end of travel.
Also when you install the jack, get a star washer and install between one or two of the mounting nuts and the frame. This will guarantee a good ground connection. Otherwise, make sure to sand off some of the paint on the frame. This option still allows rust to form and cause a poor ground connection over time. But it is better than just bolting it up and hope for a good ground.
Agree!
Old 08-12-2020, 06:53 AM   #8

Timely topic. I'm looking to get a power pack for my trailer.

I don't keep the battery in the trailer at the storage lot. But I've had to raise and lower the trailer tongue so I could work on it at the storage lot. so far no problem with my manual jack--but could be a problem with a power jack.

My question is: Is there someplace I could connect the jack wire so the power from the truck when plugged in or shore power though the converter can power it in case I forget to bring the battery?

I've seen the same terminals as in the OPs image and there is also a junction box there too with a mess of wires. Would one of these places work? If so, where is the right place to wire it?

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

A bit off topic, but always store your trailer with an upside down bucket over the power jack head. The number one failure is water getting into it and corroding everything.
As far as wire connection, use the red block you mentioned. I like having only 2 wires going to the battery, the main positive and negative wires. Makes for a neater install and less chance of getting wires connected on the wrong polarity when changing the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
61868306984__391021DE-BE51-4E48-8896-34157A5FC501.jpg  
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #10

+1 on a circuit breaker for the tongue jack.

FWIW, your new jack may come with one, my replacement jack came with one.

And the bucket over the jack head is a great idea except when the trailer is in tow. And since it almost always rains on us, that's how our OEM one got ruined. Plus the bucket rotted away pretty quick being exposed to the sun every day... The new jack was a much better design that kept moisture out pretty well.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #11

I figure the cost of a bucket every couple of years is a lot less than finding out the my seams in the head were less than perfect. (plus my son has a pool and gives me empty chlorine buckets for free if I remember to ask). I put a bungee to hold the bucket in place and toss it in the garage when I hook up to head out. cheap insurance
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Timely topic. I'm looking to get a power pack for my trailer.

I don't keep the battery in the trailer at the storage lot. But I've had to raise and lower the trailer tongue so I could work on it at the storage lot. so far no problem with my manual jack--but could be a problem with a power jack.

My question is: Is there someplace I could connect the jack wire so the power from the truck when plugged in or shore power though the converter can power it in case I forget to bring the battery?

I've seen the same terminals as in the OPs image and there is also a junction box there too with a mess of wires. Would one of these places work? If so, where is the right place to wire it?
When I was shopping for power jacks, I saw some that plug right into the 7 pin tow plug on truck. If you dont want to worry about it going to you battery on camper, maybe go this route?
Old 08-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
My question is: Is there someplace I could connect the jack wire so the power from the truck when plugged in or shore power though the converter can power it in case I forget to bring the battery? I've seen the same terminals as in the OPs image and there is also a junction box there too with a mess of wires. Would one of these places work? If so, where is the right place to wire it?
Yes, you can. Follow the 12V positive wire from the battery into the junction box. It'll be connected to one or more other wires with a wirenut. This is where you will connect the jack positive wire. Confirm that one of the wires in that wirenut is the 12V positive power wire coming through the trailer connector pigtail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Wiring.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	62393

Follow the 12V negative wire from the battery into the junction box. This is where you'll connect the jack negative wire. If your battery's negative wire doesn't run to the junction box but rather just runs to a ground point on the frame, just connect the jack negative wire to any existing groundpoint on the trailer (or make a new one if you wish). (Note: You can do that even if your battery negative wire does run into the junction box. You just need to ground the jack somewhere.)

When your truck is turned on and the trailer plugged in, power will then run through the pigtail to that bundle of 12V positive wires under the wirenut and up to your jack.

I plan to do that with my jack and aftermarket junction box for that very purpose: To use the jack when there's no coach battery connected.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200508_155712-1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	62395
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:12 AM   #14

Slightly off topic but I found that my jack was only held in place by threaded bolts from the top. When I had a ground issue, I removed all the threaded bolts, drilled the mounting holes slightly and used bolts with nuts and washers. I wasn't comfortable lifting the tongue with simply threaded bolts.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:45 AM   #15

I replaced my power jack a couple of years ago. Discovered that one of the "threaded" mounting bolts had been stripped during installation at the factory, my jack was only being held on by two bolts! I drilled and installed the new jack using nuts and bolts. I also use a bucket to cover my jack when parked. FWIW, be careful, some critters see the bucket (also propane covers and battery boxes) as a place to make a new home (wasps), ask me how I know LOL
Old 08-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #16

Connect to your truck via the 7 pin. This will provide power to the trailer. I have to do this because my TT battery runs down between uses. The aux power wire in the 7 pin provides power normally to charge the TT battery via the alternator on the Truck. Hope this helps. I have thought about connecting my trickle charger at the storage lot, but, have to run a long power cord to get it connected. Thanks!
Spaceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:06 PM   #17

I know this is an old post but I came across it while looking for the "Red Lego" box on Google. What is the proper name for this? I know it's a termination type box or a junction box but I can't find the exact one like in this picture. I broke one of the plastic tabs that hold it in place and I'm looking to upgrade it.

Thanks!
Twizz728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizz728 View Post
I know this is an old post but I came across it while looking for the "Red Lego" box on Google. What is the proper name for this? I know it's a termination type box or a junction box but I can't find the exact one like in this picture. I broke one of the plastic tabs that hold it in place and I'm looking to upgrade it.

Thanks!
Automatic Resetting Circuit Breaker. Found it with a Google Lens search.

https://www.amazon.com/RKURCK-Automa.../dp/B07QWRG8HS

You'll just need to find the appropriate size for your needs using that term.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote