Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #1

QUICK REVIEW = 921 Bulb vs 48 SMD LED Panel (China)

I replaced (12) 921 Bulbs with (12) 48 SMD LED Flat Panels today. They are available direct from China for $2-$4 each with shipping....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	8292

Following are the stats recorded via light meter of a double fixture at 3' in the front and 2' to the side...

921 BULB

3' FRONT = 166 lux
2' SIDE = 62 lux

48 SMD LED

3' FRONT = 161 lux
2' SIDE = 40 lux

COLOR = LED is slightly cooler in color
SIDE DISPERSION = 50% less (a benefit in my low ceiling TT)
HEAT = LED Fixture was warmer than expected after 1 hr - yet still cooler than incandescent bulb fixture

Overall = I'm happy.....and I know my 12V converter is happier b'cuz the fan isn't running when all the lights are on....

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	8294

Name:	Slide2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	8293
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #2

Good information. How did you measure your Lux’s.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Good information. How did you measure your Lux’s.
I have access to a commercial light meter....

Name:	2013-05-31_21-09-30_760.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	8297

Here's more data. The 48 SMD LED Panel is 2-1/2"L x 1-5/8"W and mine came with 3M Mounting Tape...

Name:	2013-06-01_07-33-14_921.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	8298

The wire leads are red / black (which bothered me b'cuz I could notice them through the lens / diffuser). I painted the leads / connector with White Dip-Coat Rubber Spray...

Name:	2013-06-01_07-30-42_387.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	8299
Old 06-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #4

I changed all my lights even the porch light to these same panels. They are brighter and run cooler. I am very pleased with the mod.
Smoothslx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

Forgot to mention on the previous post that the double stick tape is worthless. I used a dab of silicone on each corner of the panel.
Smoothslx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #6

Excellent info Threebutchers, thanks! I have been converting my lights over to these LEDs as well. Only difference is that I put in the 36 bulb LEDs instead of the 48s. I did a side by side comparison of the two and the LEDs give off a nicer light and they are bright but do not seem to be as intense as the incandescents. I also ordered a couple of the 12 bulb LEDs for the bunk lights which will be nice for the kids. The current 921s are too bright when one turns theirs on in the middle of the night to go to the washroom and wakes up the other two kids. Ryan
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #7

Thanks for the additional comments...I forgot to include the drawing below....it shows a little clearer where the light measurements were taken from....

Name:	LightMeasurement48SMD.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	8308
Old 06-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #8

We've converted our camper over to the LED panels as well. This was our first trip with them in almost the whole camper (I still have the two above the bed that have the incadescents, the LEDs are ordered but haven't come yet). Really happy with the quality of the light. Hotter than I expected, but still cooler than the old incadescents - which was our main goal as when we camp in August at the county fair it will be 90+ with high humidity in the direct sun and the 15k A/C can have a little trouble keeping up at times. However, like you I had the problem with the tape. I replaced the tape on a couple with other 2 sided tape and it didn't hold either. Probably this weekend (or whenever the last 2 come) I will go through and give each of the panels silicone to hold them in place.

I like the idea of the white plastic coat. I might have to do that as well.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #9

Jim - I think the next test is the durability. I'd be curious to know how everyone's hold-up after a few seasons.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #10

I converted all my interior lights to the same LED as mentioned in the original post. I will be heading out on a 2.5 month summer trip in a few days with many boondocking stops. This will be my real test as to the reliability and durability of these LEDs.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #11

I think the specs on those boards is 12V-14V as they are not of the regulated type design. This bothers some users as these boards may start popping three LEDs in a roll on the board if you hit them with higher DC voltages.

My highest DC VOLTAGE is 14.4VDC and I have only experienced one of my five ceiling 36 SMD LED Boards (Ebay/China $4.99) to have on three LED run now being out. I installed mine around 2009 I think it was... I purchased several spare boards and if it gets to dim to use i will just replace the board. At $4.99 a board not too big of a deal to lose any sleep over it.

I first used the COMMAND ELECTRONICs PN 170-111 which are 510 LUMEN Boards that stick up inside the DUAL and SINGLE Ceiling light fixtures - They put off "excellent" light. For my other sockets Porch Light- a couple of Bed Area lights I used the LEDTRAILER ROUND LEDs PN 921-380 which are 380 LUMENS. They are excellent lights as well.

All was going great for me until I went camping way-back-in-the-woods and found that all of these regulated type of LEDs lights put off a small amount of RFI which in my case interfered with my weak radio and HDTV reception. With any LED light "ON" my OVER-THE-AIR HDTV reception would totally BLANK OUT. My NOAH WEATHER RADIO reception would not work as well. My Amateur Radio reception was very reduced. All of these Radio/TV units were on OUTSIDE ANTENNAS. When I turned OFF the LED light everything started working as before...

To fix this problem and with much help from CamperPaul, SMKETTNER, and KendallP along with a whole host of others I replaced my CEILING LED lights with a SMD BOARD 36-1210 type LED 252 LUMENS (Ebay from CHINA @ $4.99) that does not incorporate an ON-BOARD regulator that allows the board to operate between 8-30VDC using what is known as a BUCK REGULATOR circuit. These non-regulated boards work fine with NO RFI signals being produced in my situation.

Since I have the DUAL Ceiling light fixtures that turned on both sides at same time I modified my old fixtures to a three way switch version models which allows me to turn on one side or the other or off. I have the American brands with regulators in one side and the China brand without regulators in the other. This way I can switch to the NON RFI type boards when camping off the power grid. Seems to work out pretty good for me doing it this way.. This will keep me in LED lights for a few years to come being able to use the regulated type board.

We are pleased with our LED Boards replacing our Incandescent 921 "very hot" bulbs being used in our OFF-ROAD POPUP.

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #12

Some additional info on my installation that might be helpful-

My original double ceiling light fixture looked like this with a one position ON-OFF switch in the middle. I just replaced that switch with a three position slide switch from RADIO SHACK. This give me first position as OFF the middle position with ONE light on or BOTH lights one with BOTH lights selected. I wired my $4.99 LED board for the middle position. I also have a single ceiling lamp over the sink area and I just put the $4.99 ebay board in that one. If my Command Electronic boards ever go out I will replace them with the $4.99 boards.

I looked on-line for some fixtures that did this already without modification and came up with one that had two separate switches on it like shown here. This is a BARGMAN Dual Lamp fixture sold by AMAZON.

BARGMAN DUAL LIGHT Fixture - AMAZON

I never ordered one of those from AMAZON as my two ceiling lights with the radio shack switches works just fine as is.

I have to admit the regulated type LED boards COMMAND ELECTRONICs PN 170-111 which are 510 LUMEN Boards worked the best and you wouldn't have to worry about blowing a couple one for high DC voltage like when you are in BOOST CHARGE 14.4VDC Charge mode. Some of the guys replied back they was not getting RFI interference in their trailers using the same regulated board. My suggestion would be to order ONE and try it out maybe. My RFI interference was all being received in my OFF-ROAD POPUP which has fabric window flaps which is the same as you have... Your choice on that one haha... I also checked this on the work bench here in the house and it gave me RFI signals here on my ham radio gear.

In my radio operations I'm good to go with the $4.99 boards and after a couple of years of use I have a board that has one roll of three LEDs off now. If more go out on me I will will just replace the whole $4.99 board.

I am now only getting RFI interference from my INVERTER operations in the trailer. They are also very RFI prone. I can live with this pretty easy as the interference is usally only in the 7MHz band and is not on any of my used frequencies so far. This only bothers my HF radios. HDTV, NOAH, and VHF/UHF radios work ok with the INVERTER RFI noise.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I just replaced that switch with a three position slide switch from RADIO SHACK. This give me first position as OFF the middle position with ONE light on or BOTH lights one with BOTH lights selected. I wired my $4.99 LED board for the middle position. I also have a single ceiling lamp over the sink area and I just put the $4.99 ebay board in that one. If my Command Electronic boards ever go out I will replace them with the $4.99 boards.
Roy - I'm coming down to Gloucester in a few weeks...should we run into each other remind me to touch NOTHING on your TT!!!

Bargman (thanks for reminding me) made the aftermarket LED Tail Lights I installed on my TT...(writing that down)

Great info - thanks for expanding on the topic!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #14

This may be a dumb question but do they work when plugged into shore power? We bought 2 48s and neither work. Now wondering if they only work 12V or if they just are bad. Have the right adapter and old bulb works just not the LEDs.
ClintMyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintMyra View Post
This may be a dumb question but do they work when plugged into shore power? We bought 2 48s and neither work. Now wondering if they only work 12V or if they just are bad. Have the right adapter and old bulb works just not the LEDs.
They work exactly as the original bulbs work. On 12V. LED's are polarity sensitive. Most panel LED's have a plug/socket connection on them so you can reverse the polarity. If the base is like the 921 bulb remove it, rotate it 180 degrees and plug it back in.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder how the 360 degree LED direct replacements for the 921 measure up?
I have these in my TT and I like them.
They seem to be a whiter light and equally bright visually.
They are a little more pricey though.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #17
GMC

Sorry to revive a year old post but I was wondering if anyone has seen any appreciable difference in power consumption when dry camping with these LED's. Also have any issues come up that would be good to know. Looking at something like this myself.
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #18

I wish I had measured the DC amp draw before and after installing my LEDs. I just know that before installing LEDs, my converter fan would run continuously when more than 2/3 of the TT interior lights were on. Since installing LEDs the converter fan has never come on. Into my second season, I have had no failures with the 48SMD LEDs or the double-sided tape that attaches the LEDs to the fixture.

I went with the 48SMD Flat Panels after reading many complaints about smaller replacement LEDs. The 48SMD Panels are a very close match for the 921 bulb (according to my testing).

Good luck with your search and question.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #19

I am in my third season with all LEDs and have had no issues with any of them malfunctioning. As for power consumption I agree with Threebutchers in that it reduces the load on the battery a great deal. I see a negligible draw on the ampmeter when I have 2 lights on. Very small.

2016 Jayco x213
2012 Toyota Tundra
Mainenebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #20
GMC

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to find some of these before heading out on a hinting trip this fall.
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote