Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2023, 02:47 AM   #1

Quiet inverter/generator?

I bought my first inverter/generator last year. I searched for a while looking for reviews to find the quietest one I could find. The Westinghouse IGEN4500DF dual fuel inverter/generator got good reviews everywhere I looked and they all said it was really quiet.

So, I ordered it from Home Depot and waited a couple of weeks for it to get delivered. Home Depot messed up the order, so they gave me another $200 discount off the price instead of returning it. Can't beat that...

It works well on both gas and propane, and runs my whole 30amp TT without even breathing hard. But it's not any quieter than any of the other generators of the same size that I've heard. It's definitely too loud to take a nap with it running outside, which means obviously so loud that it definitely disturbs any neighbors around as well if we are in a campground.

Has anyone found an inverter/generator that is ACTUALLY quiet?
ems437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:27 AM   #2

The word is the Honda has the quietest inverters, but to my ears they are not quiet enough for me. A generator is a generator.... regardless of the brand.
Old 05-20-2023, 10:34 AM   #3

A lot depends on the load you are pulling. If you require 30 amps then it will be loud.

I bought a Ryobi 2200 inverter/generator and it is somewhat quiet. I select the auto idle feature which causes it to adjust its speed according to load. That is a feature I think would be desired.

Since I only have a limited capacity I basically use it to keep my batteries charged, watch satellite TV, and power minimal things. If all it is doing is charging batteries and TV (fridge on propane) it will idle way down. Also, I can use a phone app to shut it down remotely so I can be lazy and not go out at night to just shut it off.

If I need power for AC or microwave (the little genny is iffy with the microwave if anything else is on) I just fire up my built-in 4k Onan.

Works for me.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 11:01 AM   #4

The Westinghouse igen4500df that I got has the eco mode and remote start as well. So I can turn it on and off without going outside. VERY handy. ��

I even thought about building a box out of some lightweight waterproof material and lining it with sound proofing foam that I could put over it. And then baffling the sides and putting a couple of fans on it to draw air through it to cool and remove the heat. The fans could be plugged into the generator’s built in outlet so they come on automatically when the generator turns on. And maybe build an exhaust pipe to route the exhaust directly out of a hole in the side of the box.

Has anyone seen anything like that yet? I just don’t know if I can do enough ventilation to overcome the heat it generates with the amount of soundproofing foam I would have to line it with to dampen the sound enough to be happy with it.

If I don’t find something more quiet that’s already built, that sounds like a project in my very near future. ��
Old 05-20-2023, 09:28 PM   #5

i ran into an RV'er this weekend at Isabella. He built a 3 sided insulated sound barrier that unfolds and encompasses three sides of the generator.. He places the exhaust side of the generator facing one of the insulated walls and the open end away from other campers.. I was amazed how something so simple deadened the generator noise. Even standing next to it you could barely hear the generator.. I'll defiantly be building one of these and will post some pics once it get her done.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 09:47 PM   #6

I would love to see the pictures if you build it!

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2023, 08:19 AM   #7

Be sure to put it on the back side of your trailer so the campers next to you get to enjoy it. That's what always happens to me.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:09 PM   #8

I previously made a enclosure for a Champion 3100 watt inverter generator. Has 2 large high cfm 12v fans that plug into generator and a genturi style exhaust pipe. Cut and hinged flaps for recoil and plug and added some aluminum heat shields. It made a quiet generator even quieter. Sits in a receiver carrier rack. Sad part is I hardly ever use it now. Got solar and I don't really need it. I would consider selling it including the rack if someone near central Michigan is interested, PM for more info.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20211011_115714448.jpg   IMG_20211011_115852731_HDR.jpg   IMG_20211017_110505639.jpg   IMG_20211011_115630615.jpg  
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 03:14 PM   #9

The problem with picking a portable generator is there is no rating "standard". Each manufacturer picks it's own parameters when coming up with their "specifications". With db distance is a factor as well as load rating which directly corresponds with how many db's the generator is making for the given amps/watts output. I had a Honda EU2000 when we had our TT and was extremely happy with it performance wise, yes it's the most expensive but to be honest it's a Honda and you get what you pay for.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
The problem with picking a portable generator is there is no rating "standard". Each manufacturer picks its own parameters when coming up with their "specifications". With db distance is a factor as well as load rating which directly corresponds with how many db's the generator is making for the given amps/watts output. I had a Honda EU2000 when we had our TT and was extremely happy with it performance wise, yes it's the most expensive but to be honest it's a Honda and you get what you pay for.
Did you have any problems with popping breaker? 166fps, so I can assure the a/c will be running, and other items. Can always cycle them if necessary but I’m really curious on those 2000s Hondas.
Jwhitebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:31 PM   #11

None are silent if they have an engine.
Honda is quiet enough you can hear other's generators. I've had the 3000 and the 6500. No problem carrying on a conversation outside with them running.
If you can hear other's running from their campsite, yours is fine.

Using a Champion now. Not much louder than a Honda but cheaper and a lot lighter than the 6500 Honda.

I don't know that I've ever heard a Westinghouse.

Next time you are in a generator use campground, walk around and compare.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 01:48 PM   #12

Cummins 4500 Onan, about 94lbs and runs at 52db!!
Old 06-11-2023, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhitebird View Post
Did you have any problems with popping breaker? 166fps, so I can assure the a/c will be running, and other items. Can always cycle them if necessary but I’m really curious on those 2000s Hondas.
I've been very happy with my two eu2000i Hondas. Bought back in 2004 and are humming right along as if they were new.
It took two to start and run everything in our several tt's. Now it only takes one since adding a micro-air easy start to the a/c.
I'm thinking about selling them and buy the new eu2200i honda.

On a side note...I bought the micro-air for our home a/c a 3.5 ton unit. Took the in rush starting amps from 112 amps to average of about 28.5 in rush amps. Now I can use a smaller genny for the house. (I am not affiliated with micro-air, just a happy customer.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
I've been very happy with my two eu2000i Hondas. Bought back in 2004 and are humming right along as if they were new.
It took two to start and run everything in our several tt's. Now it only takes one since adding a micro-air easy start to the a/c.

On a side note...I bought the micro-air for our home a/c a 3.5 ton unit. Took the in rush starting amps from 112 amps to average of about 28.5 in rush amps. Now I can use a smaller genny for the house. (I am not affiliated with micro-air, just a happy customer.
PaulB12
Very nice. I love this Cummins, but it’s fairly bulky for the wife to pick up. Considering (2) smaller and running them in series
Old 06-11-2023, 09:26 PM   #15

Dual 2000 Hondas expensive should run both units. Maybe consider a step-down power device on the initial startup. Maybe others could chime in! Sorry can't remember the name added mine in 2016.Running 3500 Champion Inverter genny still noisy! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:30 PM   #16

Nice!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Dual 2000 Hondas expensive should run both units. Maybe consider a step-down power device on the initial startup. Maybe others could chime in! Sorry can't remember the name added mine in 2016.Running 3500 Champion Inverter genny still noisy! Thanks
All this parallel easy to carry 2 talk, makes me want to sell this 98 pounder 😂
Old 06-12-2023, 07:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post

PaulB12
Why don't they add Easy Start technology to all new a/c units? Is there a downside?
Old 06-12-2023, 08:59 AM   #19

COST! Made the investment on Micro Air and very happy. Several nice generator enclosure plans on Ytube. Also, some crazily expensive ones for sale.
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:41 AM   #20

Our Honda 2000i is now eight years old. It wont run a13500 btu ac unit. Might with a soft start but we seldom use ac so the cost is not worth it. In the summer we are in Newfoundland and Maine.

In Florida in the winter we usually have shore power.

The Honda runs what we need to run and at 46lbs is easy to load. It did run the AC in our195 RB But that was a 5000 BTU unit.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote