Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

Radio problems

I recently bought a 2011 22FB. During the dealer demonstration the AM radio (Jensen AWM910) did not pick up any stations. Tech blamed it on being inside a metal building and foolishly I bought that explaination. Basically the FM reception is very poor and the AM only buzzes. The CD player and auxiliary input work and sound fine. Any suggestions how should I go about figuring if the unit is toasted or if the antenna is bad? I would hate to buy a new unit only to find out the wiring was faulty or the antenna was bad.
mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #2

Pull the unit and see if it really is faulty wiring; could be that the antenna isn't plugged in all the way. If it is, then buy a cheap antenna and start troubleshooting. If it works, then it's a faulty antenna, if not, then the stereo itself is bad.

We had the same problem with the Jensen unit in our 2005 hybrid, and that's how I found out the stereo itself was bad. Even with a new antenna, I still couldn't get any radio stations. I found a stereo on sale at a big box store, that was further discounted as an open-box -- someone bought it and returned it -- so I got it even cheaper. I installed it and threw the Jensen unit out.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #3

Radio problems still!

Update: I got dealer to test old radio and they agreed it was not working properly. They say they also tested the antenna and found it to be working properly. The replaced it with AWM965 withDVD player...nice upgrade but still I have no a.m. radio reception. I told the service writer that I wanted at least as good reception as any of the new similar RVs on the lot. She claims she took a tech out and they tested 5 new units and a.m. radio was terrible in all. I suppose my radio then meets the LOW industry standard which is pathetic. My f.m. reception has improved a bit - but we are talk radio junkies so we really want the a.m. stations.

I am just curious if everybody out there has poor radio reception like me?
Can anybody share a successful solution or fix that you have found? I don't understand enough radio basics to understand why my car radio is so much better. Is the only solution to replace crappy RV radio head with a unit meant for a car?
mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #4

The AM antenna is another entity. Mine once came still wire tied together behind the unit. If thats the case, untie and stretch it out.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #5

XM (satellite) radio and you can listen to the same station coast to coast
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #6

I hear you. Unfortunately I hear very little from my AM radio in the cab. I have a small radio I listen to when parked. The truck radio receives just a few stations. It's got to be an antenna problem but I have no idea how to deal with the problem. Getting to the back of the radio to check the antenna connections would take a Freightliner tech.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #7

My Jenson AWM910 has bit the dust and I'd like to replace it. The opening in my RD198 is only 6 1/8 x 9 3/8. Does anyone know the best replacement model? I don't mind spending a few extra $ for a good unit that will fit and not require re-wiring
Thanks!
Marty from Georgia
mparmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
XM (satellite) radio and you can listen to the same station coast to coast
I'm with you. Love our Sirius/XM radio. The variety of stations is outstanding. Music styles for all tastes, news stations from all sides of the political spectrum, and lots of sports.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
I'm with you. Love our Sirius/XM radio. The variety of stations is outstanding. Music styles for all tastes, news stations from all sides of the political spectrum, and lots of sports.
TuneIn is free and has all stations. I just downloaded it to my computer or phone and Bluetooth it over to the radio. I am an Amazon prime proponent and one of its big benefits is Amazon music. I also use that app and pair with the radio.
Way better than Sirius
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
I have to disagree... it is the same stuff over and over and over and over... and I pay for it.. Kristy with a K... sigh...
I pick it up on the 6 months for 25 bucks every so often but it isn't even worth that... and some places it doesn't work out west or in cover in the mountains...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #11

Not much help on the antenna issue, if AM frequency needs a better (taller) antenna like on your TV, might be too high for underpass. Wonder if a ladder mount solution could be designed.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #12

I haven't listened to AM RADIO in years... Back in the my youth days it was CLEAR CHANNEL XERF DEL RIO TX. The AM Antenna was in Mexico running high power and the studio was in Del RIO TX... I lived in Southern Illinois then...

This isn't going offer any possible fixes for your radio problem - Just passing along showing what other users have...

This is my JENSEN RADIO setup in my OFF-ROAD POPUP. I couldn't go anywhere without my AM/FM Radio setup - pretty much ON 90% of the time when camping... Does great on FM but never hear anything on AM except static noises...

The Jensen FM Radio has its own radio ON-OFF push button that when operated will completely shut down the radio and disable all of the presets-everything etc...

My idea was to add the ACC-IGNITION switch that you see to the right of the Jensen radio.

Roy's Image

This is my AM/FM Flexible "Rubber Duckie" Antenna shown on the Rear Side of my 2008 Starcraft 14RT trailer... The Rubber Duckie Antenna is down on the side of my trailer not to be confused to another Ham Radio antenna installed up close to the roof of the trailer.

Roy's Image

When I show up at new location then I turn on the main radio push button switch and the ACC-IGNITION and set the different push buttons station selector. When I get ready to turn 'OFF' the radio after doing all of this I will only use the ACC-IGNITION switch on the right side to turn off the radio. Leaving the main push button for the radio 'ON' keeps all of my push buttons settings for this location active...

I use the FRONT-REAR Slider speaker control on the Jensen Radio for the Inside-both-outside speakers on my trailer...

To listen to the FM RADIO I just flip on the side switch and continue to use my station push button settings...

When we go to a new location we have go through all this again...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote