Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Rand McNally GPS compatibility issues MacBook Pro

My year old RM (Rand McNally) RVND 7710 works great with my Windows based desktop and Windows based laptop. Had no difficulty downloading/installing the Rand McNally Dock (Windows version), and transfers up-dates to my 7710 just fine.

Purchased a new MacBook Pro (OS X Mavericks 10.9.1) a couple of months ago, but can'y get the RM Dock (MAC version) to install onto my MacBook Pro after I downloaded it. My 7710 confirms that it's connected to my computer, but I can't get my MacBook to acknowledge a connection with the RVND 7710.

When I attempt to install the RM Dock software (7710 connected) onto my MacBook I get an error message stating: "This installation requires your device (GPS) to be connected"....., well it is connected.

I have:

* Contacted Apple, they stated I need a driver, and/or Dock software update from Rand McNally so the MacBook can see the RVND 7710. Apple confirmed that my MacBook was operating fine. All USB ports fine.

* Contacted RM (Rand McNally). They sent me a new USB cable (inclusive of driver), outcome was the same. Follow-up RM late December and RM tech looking into possible RM software issue...., RM status the same late January...., getting ready to call RM gain.

Anyone else having any success with the MacBook Pro OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 with an RVND 7710

Thanks in advance.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
My year old RM (Rand McNally) RVND 7710 works great with my Windows based desktop and Windows based laptop. Had no difficulty downloading/installing the Rand McNally Dock (Windows version), and transfers up-dates to my 7710 just fine.

Purchased a new MacBook Pro (OS X Mavericks 10.9.1) a couple of months ago, but can'y get the RM Dock (MAC version) to install onto my MacBook Pro after I downloaded it. My 7710 confirms that it's connected to my computer, but I can't get my MacBook to acknowledge a connection with the RVND 7710.

When I attempt to install the RM Dock software (7710 connected) onto my MacBook I get an error message stating: "This installation requires your device (GPS) to be connected"....., well it is connected.

I have:

* Contacted Apple, they stated I need a driver, and/or Dock software update from Rand McNally so the MacBook can see the RVND 7710. Apple confirmed that my MacBook was operating fine. All USB ports fine.

* Contacted RM (Rand McNally). They sent me a new USB cable (inclusive of driver), outcome was the same. Follow-up RM late December and RM tech looking into possible RM software issue...., RM status the same late January...., getting ready to call RM gain.

Anyone else having any success with the MacBook Pro OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 with an RVND 7710

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Hi,

I came across your post in my Google Alerts and was hoping I could be of some help. What we have found is that the Rand McNally Dock runs fine on Macbook Pro’s that have upgraded to Mavericks from previous OS versions. However, we were able to recreate this issue when attempting to connect to a new, late-2013 Macbook Pro that came with Mavericks pre-installed. This has lead us to believe that there was a change in the operating system that is preventing the device from being recognized by the MacBook. I would recommend contacting Apple again with this new information to see if that gives them any insight into what is causing the computer not to recognize the device. We too will attempt to reach out to Apple in an effort to help resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Rand McSam
Rand McNally
Rand McSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Rand McSam (Rand McNally),

I appreciate your feedback, and it's nice to have a product representative in the discussion. I did have a lengthy conversation with "Chuck" from your tech support group yesterday, and with "Eddie" today. I also had another conversation with AppleCare support and visited a local Apple store today as well (per the direction of AppleCare support).

On another RV forum I did confirm that a member there with the same Rand McNally RVND 7710 product didn't have any compatibility issues with his new "iMac" that also came with OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 installed. Reference source: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/2.cfm

Please note:

I had my MacBook Pro (W/Retina) tested today (@ Apple store) and both USB-3 ports are functioning properly.

The conclusion was that Rand McNally's latest MAC Dock software/driver may be compatible with OS X Mavericks 10.9.1, but apparently only with the Apple iMac product. Apple stated that their latest products may have the same OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 and USB-3 ports installed.., but the products don't share the same "build-out" specifications and this may effect the I/O at the USB ports.

It was stated that the Rand McNally MAC Dock software, and/or driver, needs to be updated to meet the compatibility requirements specifically with the MacBook Pro (w/Retina) product. I did contact Rand McNally tech support (Eddie) today with Apple's conclusions, and I was advised that the information would be forwarded to the Rand McNally personal that handle their software and programing.

Rand McSam.., if I can provide any further data, please advise. Also, I assume that you have access to the Rand McNally tech support system, thus having all the detailed history on my compatibility issue.

Thanks again,

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand McSam View Post
snip....We too will attempt to reach out to Apple in an effort to help resolve this issue......
Rand McSam,

This may best, because I don't know how much more I can do from my vantage point.

As mentioned in my prior post, Apple used the term product model "build-out" differences, and I don't know how this plays into a given model's ability to "acknowledge" a peripheral device via the USB-3 port (w/OS X Mavericks 10.9.1).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Upgraded my OS X Mavericks to version 10.9.2 today..., same results. Just a FYI, my MacBook Pro has the 13" Retina display.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 06-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Update:

I see that Rand McNally updated their MAC Dock software on May 20, 2014..., the prior update was October 31, 2013.

My MacBook Pro has the latest 10.9.3 update, and my results are the same with the RM May 20,2014 update.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS