Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #1

Re-imagining sewer stuff storage

I have a 26BH with only three SMALL outside hatches. Technically two, since two doors service the long pass-through. Currently, I keep all my sewer stuff in a bin without a lid to "breathe." It is in the rear hatch with all the outside kitchen bins. I decided this weekend, things have to change. After lots of searching, I think I agree with the RV'ers that are attaching a small toolbox or ammo box to the rear bumper. Keeps the sewer stuff out of the way, keeps it close to the drains, and doesn't affect the weight issue of the bumper. So now I also have a chance to look at what I carry and decide what stays and where does it go.

Here are my very specific questions:

1- Do you keep and use the caps that came with sewer hoses? Mine are still in the original plastic bag.

2- Do you consider the sewer hose support (or the stinky slinky) to be contaminated? If not, I could throw this in a different hatch. Not sure where I stand on this.

So far, here's where I think I'm heading:

Two 8' collapsable sewer hoses - in the bumper
One 90 degree clear elbow - in the toolbox
Gloves - in the truck
Antibacterial wipes - in the truck
50' collapsable flex hose - in the toolbox
Sewer hose caps - trash
Sewer hose cap with hose attachment - in the toolbox
Stinky slinky - in hatch next to blocks and levelers

Can you critique my plan, please?
auspiciousboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #2

Looks Good Only Thing I Do Different Is I Have A Tupperware Container In Tool Box With The Gloves And Soap In Keeps Them Where I Need Them..
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:19 PM   #3

Our first HTT (X23B) had storage issues. We bought a “Sewer Solution” sewer drain and I stored it in a plastic tote that held it and all of the associated parts. Was too big for the modest pass thru so it lived in the shower when traveling. I removed the lid so there’d be minimal “growth” while sitting there. 2 years later we still carried it and never had an odor issue. When we traded for the 5th it moved to the basement and I cut holes in the tote for ventilation. After a total of 7-ish years, same SS and same tote, no odors.

Your take away is “tote in shower and no odor”.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #4

You can make your own large storage tubes using post covers sold by Home Depot.

You could attach it the rear bumper if you were so inclined.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
You can make your own large storage tubes using post covers sold by Home Depot.

You could attach it the rear bumper if you were so inclined.
That's what I did: One 5"x5" post cover, two post cover end caps (drilled with MANY small holes), and a section of white eve trough cut to fit inside the post cover.

A RhinoFlex sewer hose with the 90deg end attached rides in the eve trough inside the post cover and the threaded sewer adapter sits outside the eve trough in the post cover.

The post cover is attached to the rear bumper with 3 dabs of silicone adhesive, 3 plastic tie wraps, and 3 stainless tie wraps. (The silicone glue holds well, but not permanently, to keep the sewer cover in place under the bumper, and the stainless tie wraps are in case the plastic ones don't withstand the sun.)

Inside the bumper is an additional section of RhinoFlex sewer hose. A Camco Sidewinder Sewer Hose support, gloves, and wipes are stored in the storage near the trailer's sewer connection.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

I cheated and bought the Valerro (?) poo hose carrier, and installed it under the TT, the 90* elbow is in a tupperware box all by itself, gloves, slinky, all BT stuff in a Rubbermaid tote, no issues/smells/spills. BT tote is marked and rides in the front pass thru.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #7

Quick question....why are you letting your sewer stuff “breathe”? Put that stuff in a locking lid tote and seal it up air tight. I let my fresh water gear “breathe” so it can dry out and I don’t end up with mold/mildew but sewer stuff is already disgustingly germ ridden so I don’t care about it.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
Site Team

snip...
"2- Do you consider the sewer hose support (or the stinky slinky) to be contaminated?"

The hose support won't be considered a contaminated item, unless the sewer hose sitting on it has a pinhole or connector leak. Or a passing critter pees on it. Ours lives in the front pass thru.
The other thing to consider is another 10' new sewer hose, with connectors attached, just in case you find the sewer port at your site further away. We keep a 10', and a 15' in the bumper, another 10' in its box under the bed....just in case.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #9

After dealing with a rubbermaid tote in my passthrough full of poopy hoses, I finally rigged this up on my rear bumper. I just didn't want to deal with sliding the hoses in and out of the bumper.

3" x 5" shelf brackets, self tapping screws, and a bunch of extra large washers for the inside where i screwed it into the bumper and the new Plano is nice and secure. If I like the placement, I may upgrade to welding a steel plate for it to sit on down the road. It will only be holding max 10 lbs of gear as it's just the hoses, elbows, gloves and cleaning wand.
Attached Thumbnails
20190727_193544.jpg   20190727_193557.jpg  
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:34 PM   #10

Sewer Hose Talk, my question:
I have a 2020 Precept 29V, and the sewer hose connects inside the compartment, but the compartment door needs to be left open, since there is no opening/hatch in the floor of the compartment. Has anyone installed a hatch door here by cutting into the floor? I should be able to route the hose outside and be able to close the compartment door should I need to leave the hose out during a stay. Normally I keep the hose in storage until it's time to dump everything, but occasionally I need the hose to be connected to drain a little gray water when the tank gets full....
Thanks for any suggestions, and where I can purchase the proper hatch assembly.
DanL
Tumbleweed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:54 AM   #11

If you are storing in a tote, I agree with sealed. Keep a spray bottle of water/bleach mix and spray the hose before sealing up the tote.

Also, check out the sewer hose storage idea at the link below.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...all-85261.html

2019 RAM 2500HD 6.7 Cummins
2021 Jayco Talon 335T
HecBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:08 AM   #12

The sewer hose's did not fit the tube bumper on our trailer so in a plastic storage bin they went along with the hose support and black tank chemicals.I use the lid.
I put the end caps on also.
The bin is stored in the front storage area.Have not had any oder issues.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:32 AM   #13

Like mokurt, I also keep my sewer hoses capped and in a plastic bin with the other items needed for hookups. I like the water/bleach idea after a thorough fresh water rinse with a hose and sprayer that I keep in a bag inside of the plastic bin. I rinse the hoses out until the water is clear going into the sewer at the site or a dump station. I do not cover the storage bin. So far this seems to work well. I just take my time to make sure everything is clean before storage. But I will add the bleach/water spray to my storage also. Thanks for the tip!.
DanL

Daniel and Cathy
2020 Jayco Precept 29V
Mountain Bikes, Kayaks, Coffee!

------------ "Wherever you go, there you are!"
Tumbleweed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:35 AM   #14

I too did the latching box on the rear bumper. Works out well and sure beats having those items in the pass-through compartment right under my bed! I used 4 5/16 x 6" bolts and fabricated aluminum plates to clamp it to the bumper. I have my long hose stored inside the bumper and a shorter hose and all the adapters/supports inside the box. Great place to also store my 3 reflective triangles if I ever have a breakdown!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210128_095400325_HDR.jpg  
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Our first HTT (X23B) had storage issues. We bought a “Sewer Solution” sewer drain and I stored it in a plastic tote that held it and all of the associated parts. Was too big for the modest pass thru so it lived in the shower when traveling. I removed the lid so there’d be minimal “growth” while sitting there. 2 years later we still carried it and never had an odor issue. When we traded for the 5th it moved to the basement and I cut holes in the tote for ventilation. After a total of 7-ish years, same SS and same tote, no odors.

Your take away is “tote in shower and no odor”.
I use the sewer solution also, in the 10 or so years of use I have never noticed an order. I think flushing real good takes care of the problem.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is online now   Reply With Quote