Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by altar1 View Post
<snip> So how does one know which trailers use "dry fit" windows? Tom
For my TT (at a seasonal site), I was under the TT doing Spray Foam preparation tasks and noticed a dark water stain - from its inner tin and its outer wood area. It was under a window area. I asked my CG owner about this stain and he stated its side window was leaking "within its inner wall", and dripping out the bottom. He suggested I pull that window out and simply re-seal it. So, I pulled its window out and sure enough, it was leaking. Its inner wood frame has dark water stains as well. And, its leak couldn't be seen from the outer or inner sides. With window pulled out, I immediately noticed it was using a dry rubber seal (between outer TT siding and window's inner lip). I couldn't tell if it was dry or soft buddy sealed from the window's outside. After re-sealing that window, I did its other 10 windows (11 windows in total) as well. To my surprise, 2 other windows were leaking and they had NO leaking signs at all - until I pulled the window out. Finding our 1st window leak (which lead to all 11 windows being re-sealed) was discovered by luck. Positive luck. This saved all windows and our TT's inner wood walls "just in time". Especially the 1 window - that was leaking much more then its other windows....

For me, I couldn't tell if my TT's windows were factory sealed with dry rubber or with proper soft putty - until I removed the window (and seen the factory seal with my own eyes).

Hope this helps....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
I had a 2001 Jayco 27footer and just traded it in on a new 31 RKS. Never had any problems with any leaks anywhere. DId have the roof resealed every couple of years but never did anything with the windows.
I've had a variety of RV's since 1966, and have never had a window leak.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #23

almost too late

for me this is a hard one to take. spend all that money on a brand new TT only to have to remove the windows and reseal right away. wonder why they don't install windows for homes that way. think of all the business generated for local contractors. mine was noticed on the 729th day of our 2-year warranty. after complaining Jayco has agreed to cover it. the most disturbing thing about my situaton was that the dealer we purchased it from said we should have been taking it to the shop every 6 months to have the windows checked. Seriously? Funny thing is the TT is taken in once every 12 months and inspected. they never mentioned anything about it or sealed the windows.
slgmble4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #24

If i'm getting this right then it is suggested ,no a must, one of the first things to do to a RV after the 2 year warranty runs out is to reseal all my windows because all Jayco RV's, new or old are installed dry method and it is only a matter of time before they leak. It's not if they will leak it's when they leak. Correct
Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #25

How do you tell if the window is dry fit without pulling it out? I'm wondering if I should be concerned with pulling out my 2010 19BH windows and resealing them?
certified106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
How do you tell if the window is dry fit without pulling it out? I'm wondering if I should be concerned with pulling out my 2010 19BH windows and resealing them?
Just for peace of mind, I would pick a small, easy to reach window and pull it. Even if it isn't dry sealed, it will give you an idea what kind of shape the caulking is in.

Speaking of caulking, I was on the Eternabond site earlier today and saw they carry a 1" double sided putty tape. Has anyone had any experience with using this stuff?
Old 06-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #27

Don't mean to rehash this thread but I just fixed some minor damage from a leak and the window is one of these dry fit windows with a gasket instead of butyl. I haven't reseal the window yet. The video is no longer available so I'm going to assume that Spike 99 striped the rubber gasket off the window and resealed it using butyl tape ?