Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Rear camera wired connection

I purchased a wireless Camecho camera system, and I guess the price reflects it's quality. I bench tested the camera and video screen and had a perfect picture, but unfortunately when the 2 separate units are 40 feet apart the transmitter is not powerful enough to send a quality signal. I did complain to the sellers and was given a full refund and was told to keep the system.

I played around with it and figured out that I can connect the camera and video screen together with the simple use of an RCA cable thus eliminating the transmitter and receiver.

So here is my question ! I want to use this system as a hard wired, but not sure what to do for the connection between the tow vehicle and trailer. I would like to have a plug on the truck and a plug on the trailer with a wire in between that can be disconnected. Obviously I would want the connection to be water tight, but have never seen an RCA that was waterproof. I did find what I want in the link below, but have no way of adapting it to the RCA plugs on my camera system.

Thanks for any input.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...t-rvs-213.html
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Well, I think I may have found a solution. The problem is that the transmitter and receiver are too far apart, so instead of deleting them, I may try and put a long rca extension between the camera and transmitter. I could then mount the transmitter in the front of the trailer which would place it closer to the receiver.
I would still like to hear what others have done. FWIW, buying a $600 system is not in my budget.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:31 AM   #3

I have installed a couple of these ebay cheapie systems on trailers. The wireless will work from hitch to inside cab. Did it on our last 5th. You will get drop outs on highway but not too bad.
I used rca to coax adapters.
The rca connections I used shrink tubing to seal from weather. It worked pretty well. I tapped into the running lights for power. Ran all wiring inside split loom to protect.

I have also run a wired camera on a travel trailer. Again adapters for rca to coax.
Mounted a coax connector into rear bumper on truck. Rubber cover over it for winter non connected protection. Using a coax slip on connector for trailer side. It works fine!
I found the rca to coax adapters at home depot at the time. The coax ends can be purchased woth weatherproof ends. Basically rubber o ring inside. With the slip on adapter I shrink wrapped over the outer connection.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote