Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Recommended battery charger(s)

Greetings JOF folks!! As us Michiganders brace ourselves for another blizzard (Sarcastically speaking, of course!!) I wondered if anybody had suggestions and/or recommendations for a battery charger for the TT. I have read a little bit on here, not much, and I see that some of you are for and some against trickle charging. I would like to hear about brands, models, prices, procedures, do's/dont's etc. because I may be in the market for a decent battery charger. I have no desire to spend over $75 if at all possible. Thanks, and as always, Happy Camping!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #2

I charge my battery by leaving the TT plugged in for a couple days every couple weeks. For the winter, I stored it on a battery tender.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #3

Being your in the new model year at 2013 you most likely have the new generation of smart charging converter in your unit. You will need to confirm this through your manual packet which should have the instruction sheet for your particular unit. With these new chargers you can leave your unit plugged in and it will trickle and keep your battery(s) in top shape on it's own. I have left my unit plugged in since new and my batteries are in great shape just using the house system which goes from high output to trickle as needed automatically.

If however you are in a place where power is not obtainable and you take your batteries out then I would vote for the battery tender. About 35-50 bucks depending on where you get it. This is only a trickle charger. If you want to spend a little more then I have heard good things about some of the B&D chargers out there but have no personal experience with one. This will give you more options should you something with dead batteries in vehicles or equipment.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #4

I'm a big fan of a battery tender (which we use on our sports car while in storage), however both our TT's we don't have the luxury of power so we pull the batteries. They go in our basement on a block of wood and once a month I through a trickle charger. The charger lets me know when they are full. No issues ever! We've done this same thing when we had a boat and our batteries held up for several years.

I guess it just depends on if you have power available to your TT or not. Either way works!

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #5

I guess I should have clarified in the beginning that I do not have access to power while the TT is in storage for the winter. It is easy enough to bring the trailer home and plug it in, but ideally I would prefer to remove the battery from the battery tray and: 1. Make sure the case doesn't freeze and crack, and 2. Keep the battery like new by maintaining water levels, etc. I'm not sure if I even know what I'm asking, but it seems like I should be doing a little more to protect the battery and keep it in a ready-to-use condition. RV/Deep Cycle batteries are somewhat foreign to me, but I understand that they can be discharged to near-zero and recharged to a full capacity, unlike traditional automotive batteries. I guess my question still stands: Any advice on battery chargers--makes, models, features, etc. Happy Camping, and thanks for the help so far!!
\
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote