Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2022, 09:19 AM   #1

Norcold 8x 2 way

Electric was working in yard on shore power working fine on generator going down road first stop noticed temp in reefer rising no codes green light got where we were going and switched to propane operation cools back down
Now we have switched back to shore power and green light no codes but temp is rising so back to propane
When we break camp have 8 hr trip home
Don’t want to lose all the food and don’t want to run the generator for nothing if the electric mode doesn’t work
Is it possible and safe to run gas mode while rolling
RODBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:25 AM   #2

Check your breaker or fuses. Also maybe see if the GFCI outlet is tripped in the bathroom. I had a similar issue where electric power wasn't getting to the refrig.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:23 AM   #3

Reefer operation

Can the norcold nx8 be run in gas mode while traveling down the highway
Old 09-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #4

Fuse good Brkr set power panel shows 3 amps when I put it in ac automatic mode thanks for the response
Old 09-28-2022, 12:03 PM   #5

Yes, you can!

Beware there are some areas that do have restriction if the propane tank can be open or not. Such as some tunnels, ferries and gas stations. Check your state ordinances. All states to my knowledge do allow you to travel with the tank open and the frig on.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODBURNS View Post
Electric was working in yard on shore power working fine on generator going down road first stop noticed temp in reefer rising no codes green light got where we were going and switched to propane operation cools back down
Now we have switched back to shore power and green light no codes but temp is rising so back to propane
When we break camp have 8 hr trip home
Don’t want to lose all the food and don’t want to run the generator for nothing if the electric mode doesn’t work
Is it possible and safe to run gas mode while rolling

The fridge is made to run while driving. You have the exact symptoms that I have on my NX8. I even had the cooling unit replaced after they took a thousand measurements to determine if it was installed correctly. Still to this day it will not cool well on electric. If it is hot out or you open the door its going to run between 55-60 degrees and must be switched over to gas. I don't believe that there is a solution to this junk. I am guessing that is why people are ripping them out and installing residential units.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
The fridge is made to run while driving. You have the exact symptoms that I have on my NX8. I even had the cooling unit replaced after they took a thousand measurements to determine if it was installed correctly. Still to this day it will not cool well on electric. If it is hot out or you open the door its going to run between 55-60 degrees and must be switched over to gas. I don't believe that there is a solution to this junk. I am guessing that is why people are ripping them out and installing residential units.
Not sure what Norcold I have. But we had issues with temp control when our TT was new. Totally fixed the issue with adding a couple small fans in the frig that are attached to the coil. Our frig temp is now rock solid no matter what.

This is not the fan we have, but it is the same concept. I ran a light gauge wire through the condensate drain to power it, and tied it into the 12V power source for the frig. When the fan is attached to the coil it completes the circuit and runs. It also turns off automatically if we turn the frig off.

https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-RV-Ref...%2C154&sr=8-16

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:03 PM   #8

Jagiven - so with this fan does the fridge stay cold on electric? Or only on propane? Thanks, Dmarcian
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarcian View Post
Jagiven - so with this fan does the fridge stay cold on electric? Or only on propane? Thanks, Dmarcian
Reads like it only is cold when running on propane. Seems like a lot of fridges that RV's use with 12V capability do not cool well using 12V.

Is it because 12V cannot heat well? My understanding is that heat is how the fridge creates cold air.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:05 PM   #10

We also have same type of issues as you do with our NX8! After 3 rigs with absorption refrigerators I’m done!. My solution; I just ordered a 12V GE compressor fridge! Install to be done in about 2 weeks. The GE is a tight fit, it’s 9.8 C’ and an 1/8 wider than our cutout, height and depth are no issue. I plan on wiring it straight to my battery with a separate on/off switch so if I’m not connected to shore power I can just run the fridge the night before departure off my battery. I have 200W of solar that’s really not being utilized, but now it will be! Get rid of that 3 way, their to finicky!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:14 PM   #11

This is interesting. I have a 25-year-old Norco 3-way that is still working superbly, whether on shore power or gas. I have only had the rig since June so haven't yet run it on battery and don't plan to. Sounds like the new, fancy, rigs are filled with crap. Sure am glad I did not buy new.
Main purpose of Jayco is for camping at racetracks.
I am a volunteer corner worker for Sports Car Club of America.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear View Post
This is interesting. I have a 25-year-old Norco 3-way that is still working superbly, whether on shore power or gas. I have only had the rig since June so haven't yet run it on battery and don't plan to. Sounds like the new, fancy, rigs are filled with crap. Sure am glad I did not buy new.

Yup, anything new seems to be either assembled poorly, with lack of care or pride. Then there is the material shortage/supply issue. Build it as cheap as possible, then raise the cost overall because there is a great excuse to !

I Almost forgot! Back it up with terrible or non existing customer service!
Old 10-09-2022, 09:24 PM   #13

I just replaced the board on my 2019 Norcold.. AC quit but the gas was fine. Now I have a spare gas only board.
ElRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:47 PM   #14

So I just finished installing the inside fan I picked up from Amazon and mentioned here, now I'd like to set up an external fan. I'd like to mount it in the control panel area with the fan pointing up. It looks like I have a spot that a fan with (about) a 5 inch square mount and 1 inch or so thick would work. My question is what cfm fan should I use.
My refer is a Norcold N8X in my 26XD class C. If someone has a part number for a fan they are satisfied with or any other suggestions I would appreciate the advise.
Oh are those holes drilled into sheet metal where the controls are used for mounting/holding with #8 or #10 sheet metal screws? If so they might come in handy for setting up the fan.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:14 PM   #15

I used 3- 12V 3D printer fans. I took apart binder clips, drilled holes in them and mounted them to the fans with long nuts & bolts. The binder clip pinch on to the fins and hold nicely. They are also very easy to move and replace. WINSINN 50mm 5015 Blower Fan 12V, 3D Printer 24 Volt Fans Blower Turbine Turb... https://a.co/d/g63uUpy

On the roof I used 2-12V
Coolerguys 120MM (120X120X25) High Airflow Waterproof IP67 12v Fan https://a.co/d/7f4hI2X

All on switches ran back to the coach cutoff solenoid with in-line fuses.