Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #1

Angry Refer madness

Ok, its not what you think it is.

Im about at wits end with my Norcold N8X refrigerator. The thing is still under warranty, but the local dealer, who is a Norcold service center, wont even look at it.

The refer door sags at the opening, and wont latch at the top. The freezer door is fine, but in order to make adjustments to the bottom door, the top door needs to be removed first.

I contacted Norcold, and have been discussing the problem with a rep via email. She gave me the instructions on how to remove and adjust the bottom door which appears easy enough, but I ran into problems right away.

The top hinge pin requires a flat head screwdriver to remove it, but there is little room between the top of the hinge pin, and the roof of the trailer. I do have an L shaped screw driver, but I cant get this thing to budge without stripping it, which is getting close. Ive removed bolts from autos that were torqued to 140 foot pounds with better ease.

Three questions:

1) Are these hinge pins reverse threaded? Cant find any info in the install manual.

2) Do the dealers slap these things together, does the Jayco factory, or are they assembled at Norcold to be installed as is at the Jayco factory?

3) Do they emply one of the great apes to tighten these pins?

I never had a problem removing the fridge door on my old Norcold small box 303(?), but this is ridiculous. The N8X appears to be made with inferior hinge materials and door frames.
Tommyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #2

I too have a N8X. I was dismayed to find I could not reinforce the fridge hinge as I have done on every other Norcold I have owned previously.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #3

I will let you know that they are made at Norcold then shipped to Jayco who then installs all appliances.
The removing the door I do not know but know it can be a pain :/
JaycoChix89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:21 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Tommyjay: Mine still has the Hex/slot bolts. Try with vise-grips to loosen the bolts.

Jopopsy: why not fill the pockets beside the hinge-pin with hotmelt glue
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I too have a N8X. I was dismayed to find I could not reinforce the fridge hinge as I have done on every other Norcold I have owned previously.
Thank you. Does it sag towards the opening like mine does? It is a problem since that bottom hinge base is plastic. I have to brace something against the door, or some food items come sliding out. I like the fridge space, but the bottom door is a big problem.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Tommyjay: Mine still has the Hex/slot bolts. Try with vise-grips to loosen the bolts.

Jopopsy: why not fill the pockets beside the hinge-pin with hotmelt glue
Thank you. This one is a rounded screw like pin, so vice grips would just tear it up, and Im sure for the tidy sum of $20 Norcold will send a replacement hinge pin

Vice grips will be my very last resort. I have other issues with the trailer, though minor, that will have to be fixed. The dealership that I bought it from sold out, and combined their sales with their sister store in another town. I may be going there since its still under warranty.