Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #1

Remove Dicor from skin and clothing

I did a quick Google and also a search on a couple of other forums as well and nothing popped up to solve this problem, so if I'm duplicating what everyone already knows, sorry. In all the years I've been using EPDM sealants, I've never gotten it all over me. This time was different

From my own personal experience: Here's what doesn't work: acetone, mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, water, water and soap.

What did work, with some effort, : WD40+a rag

I got some on my hands and a splooge of it got on my jacket. Don't ask.

I do have naptha in the garage from an old commercial project I ran. Naptha is the solvent listed on the tube. Anyone who has ever used the stuff knows that it's the worst smell, and quite possibly not anything you want to run through the wife's washing machine. It's also on par with MEK when on the skin. For those reasons, I completely avoided trying it first.
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:12 PM   #2

There is a product, GooGone Caulk Remover. Never tried it but it says it works. Regular GooGone, nope.

On skin sandpaper works, LOL or just wait a few days and it will come off.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:22 AM   #3

Once it's dry pick it off do not try smearing it that only works it in. Naptha is just Colman fuel or Zippo lighter fluid, just isn't as expensive, I do use it for anything that calls for white gas. A day in the sun and the smell is gone then wash. It may melt fibres in your jacket though. It is easy to pick it off as a lump, maybe a small stain to remind you later...

Desertman
Destrtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:13 AM   #4

I like the sandpaper suggestion, on someone else's skin, not mine. LOL
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrtman View Post
Once it's dry pick it off do not try smearing it that only works it in. Naptha is just Colman fuel or Zippo lighter fluid, just isn't as expensive, I do use it for anything that calls for white gas. A day in the sun and the smell is gone then wash. It may melt fibres in your jacket though. It is easy to pick it off as a lump, maybe a small stain to remind you later...

Desertman
Thanks, but letting it dry on my clothes on the if/come that it actually could be removed to the point of no longer visible or perhaps even melting the fabric isn't really an option unless I was doing this for a living and then I'd have clothes dedicated to the job. I'm not sure what one does with the goo on their hands while waiting for it to dry...it certainly doesn't wipe off, it only spreads. So, I wouldn't offer that to someone else as a solution. When dealing with industrial chemicals, the common sense approach is to start at the least caustic and work your way in the direction of most caustic....stopping when you get the results you want and not going further.

Not sure where you got your information on Naptha, but what is used commercially, such as a cure agent in flooring surfaces over concrete (Air Force hangers, warehouses etc.) is a really raw chemical and even the cheap stuff from the commercial division of Sherwin Williams is $40 a gallon in quantity. My guys had to wear boots, respirator masks etc. and the facilities had to remain empty for 48 hours during cure. From experience, I can assure you, it's not lighter fluid..which is a derivative of Naptha but contains other 'thanes or your lighter would be a bomb. WD40 worked fine, that's why I offered it here.
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote