Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Replace em all?

So I found a bubble in one of my Tow Max tires this weekend. I could hardly see it while I was standing there looking at the tire, but I could see it in my mirror going down the road. So I inspected the tire VERY closely and found it. Luckily the trailer is parked in my driveway and it didn't ruin our trip.

I have not had a chance to closely examine the rest of the tires, so this may be a moot point, but should I replace all 4? Or can I get by just replacing the two on that axle (the rear). Or even just the one? Then I can replace the other two on the front axle next month and spread out the cost a little?

I know I want to be rid of all four of the Tow Max, I just don't trust them, but the money is hard to part with right now. We don't have any trips planned for at least the next month, maybe more, so I do have some time to work on this.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #2

I think you answered your own question. If you aren't planning any camping for the next month, then yes, you can spread the cost out over the next month. Sometimes, you can find a deal and buy three and get the 4th one free. Never worked for me but I have seen the offer. You definitely want to replace all of them, including the spare.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #3

I guess I'm gonna have to look at my tires a little more closely!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #4

Noticed an issue on the inside of mine after getting home this weekend. Don't plan on camping anymore this year so I figure I will replace them all before spring. Based on the date code on all of the tires they are 5 years old and at the end of their lifespan. I have purchased tires at Belle Tire in the past the day after Thanksgiving and then had them received and put on in the spring. The cost was great and they didn't sit outside in the elements for 3 months.
Jon-Laura N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #5

Mine are dated "2013" (20th week 2013), so they're not that old. I'd like to take advantage of a buy 3 get one free deal, but to the best of my knowledge, one just ended through Discount Tire Direct on Ebay; don't know when the next deal will be.

My neighbor is a manager at one of our local Discount Tire locations, I may have to see what he can do for me. Website says they can get them, but only have the Carlisle in stock. I'd rather have the Maxxis, and since I don't need them RFN (I'm not blown on the side of the road or have a big trip planned), I have some time to shop the deal I want. We also have a local "mom & pop" tire store that deals Maxxis, a couple hundred yards from where I store the trailer, so there might be a deal there too.

I typically end up going the "replace them all" route. In this case, even if I don't find the other tires to be damaged, I trust them EVEN LESS than I did before. So I'll probably just end up biting the bullet and replacing them all at the same time.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

I would replace all four or you will be looking backwards every trip. I would also document the issue and contact Jayco to see what they will do. You should also file a claim with your dealer for added pressure. Document with photos, date codes and everything.

Then wait for Discount tire to run a sale on all four with rebates since you don't have to go yet. I bought all 4 on sale with $100. rebate for buying all 4.

I replaced all 4 this season due to the same issue. And yes I was helped. There is a recall out there on the D rated ones I believe due to date coding. Check the web and this forum for the exact recall info.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I would replace all four or you will be looking backwards every trip. I would also document the issue and contact Jayco to see what they will do. You should also file a claim with your dealer for added pressure. Document with photos, date codes and everything.

Then wait for Discount tire to run a sale on all four with rebates since you don't have to go yet. I bought all 4 on sale with $100. rebate for buying all 4.

I replaced all 4 this season due to the same issue. And yes I was helped. There is a recall out there on the D rated ones I believe due to date coding. Check the web and this forum for the exact recall info.
I was thinking there was a recall out there. Will have to check it out. Mine are D-rated 15". Also going to email the dealer tonight, hope he helps, I'm in the last week of my 2 yr warranty (if I'm not already out).
Old 09-28-2015, 06:41 PM   #8

http://www.towmaxtires.com/content/t...5%202014_2.pdf

ST225/75R15

The tires, which are Load Range D and carry an 8-ply rating, were manufactured by Shandong Yongfeng Tyres Co. Ltd. at its plant in Linyi, Shandong Province (DOT code AD), between June 15 and Oct. 14, 2014, according to the company’s filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 09-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #9

I blew one towmax this summer. Bought a new Maxxis with the idea that I'd replace them all over a short time. Got back home to another of the towmax having the bubble seperation sign. Replaced them all after that. The miles between these two incidents was less than 500 miles. If I did this again I'd make sure and specify steel valve stems. One shop did it without being asked whereas the other put on rubber stems, as they were from Jayco.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I was thinking there was a recall out there. Will have to check it out. Mine are D-rated 15". Also going to email the dealer tonight, hope he helps, I'm in the last week of my 2 yr warranty (if I'm not already out).
Tires are not covered by the manufacturer (Jayco) warranty.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #11

Replace those tires! My previous RV had Tow Max tires. One tire developed a bubble on the sidewall near the bead. After numerous phone calls to a claims agent with the tire company, I had a tire on my front door step. No local dealer for these tires. Tires had about 3k miles at that time. On a later trip, approximately 4k miles on the tires, I felt vehicle slowing down. I looked in mirror and saw a tire shredding. Put on a spare and drove 60 more miles and felt a rumble in the steering, looked in the mirror to change lanes and saw the second tire blow out sideways. It took out everything around the wheels on the RV.($4700.00 of damage) I had no more spare and called a tire service to rescue me. I called my insurance company and they wanted the DOT number off of the tires. Long story short, the agent called back and said the tires were imported from China and that the majority of their claims came from blow out damages from imported tires. The tires were inflated to 80 psi, no cracking, no damage, and I was driving 65mph. I learned a lot about trailer tires from this experience.
Gearhead56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Tires are not covered by the manufacturer (Jayco) warranty.
It does not hurt to ask...

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 09-30-2015, 07:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
It does not hurt to ask...
That's what I was thinking. Even if Jayco won't cover it (or some) they or my dealer might give me a head start on who else I could call. I still need to check out the recall, but based on the post above, my tires are not within the dates on the recall (will check it out myself today).

I've pretty much decided to replace all 4 with Maxxis M8008, 225/75R15 LR E with metal valve stems (I can't stand the rubber ones!). Original Towmax are same size in LR D. I don't really need the extra load capacity, but I would feel more comfortable with the buffer. The only thing I have left to do is decide if I can wait until I can get them on sale. A friend invited us to go camping with them in late October, so I still have some time. For now I just need to move it about 7 miles to my storage lot...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #14

So I finally got a chance to remove my failed tire last night and I learned a few things:

1) the cotter pin that holds the extension for the under-mounted spare tire hanger is too long. So it hits the framing when you go to crank the spare down. Cotter pin completely destroyed

2) it takes all 10 of my Lynx blocks under the good tire to get the other tire off the ground

3) my spare was underinflated quite a bit, need to be more diligent about checking that. Will mount the new spare with the valve stem facing down to facilitate that check.

4) the tire failure ended up being tread separation and was clear as day when I got the tire off. Will post a pic when I get a chance.

5) working on this stuff while being sick sucks.

More to come as I move down the path to new tires.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #15
Site Team

I am sure the Maxxis will be more than adequate. Verify that your rims will handle the increased pressure. (You may have already done this)
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 10-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #16

The upside of being home from work sick is that I can just pop out and look at the tire on the rim in my garage. I put the spare on last night and put the trailer back in storage, but left the damaged tire in the garage. Downside is that I'm playing babysitter for my 1YO son. Not really a downside, I love hanging out with him, but it puts a damper on hanging out in the garage...

So here is a pic where you can see the tire lopsided. I have another with a straight edge, but you can actually see it better here. Sorry it's sideways, but again, I'm on my iPad...

As for the load capacity of the rim, there are actually two "Max Load" specs stamped into the spokes on the back of the rim. I have pics of both but iPad and JOF aren't working well with me trying to upload multiple pics.

Anyway, one says 2150 lbs, which coincides with a tire size 205 75 R15. The other is 2830 which goes with my size 225 75 R15 in LRE. That translates to the Maxxis tire I'm interested in purchasing which is the 225 75R15 in LR E, at 80 lbs, it carries 2830. So Yay! My rims can handle the tires I really want! There is no pressure listed on the rims, only max load.

One more part of the puzzle solved. Now I just need to find the price I really want to pay...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #17

OEM trailer tires should be marked: Not intended for use, replace with actual tires.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
OEM trailer tires should be marked: Not intended for use, replace with actual tires.
LOL! "Actual tires". I'm starting to think more and more along these lines... Sucks to buy 'em twice though!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #19

One thing I forgot to mention about the lopsided tire though: it's not lopsided all the way around. Certain parts of the tire look straight. So if you're inspecting your tires looking for tread separation, make sure you look at the entire radius.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #20
Site Team

It seems that if the trailer makes it to the dealer, the OE tires have done their job!
Gator roll-up bed cover