Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #1

Replace outside speakers

The outside speakers on my 2016 287BHSW sound like crap. Has anyone replaced theirs? What ones did you use? Did you need an adapter due to the thickness? Thanks
lpasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:39 AM   #2

While I understand we all have the desire to listen to "our music", please keep your volume down when in a campground. Other campers don't necessarily like "your music" and those of us that like peace and quiet don't like anyone's loud music.

Off Soapbox!

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:46 AM   #3

Good question Ipasco. I rarely use mine because they sound like a jar full of bees sometimes. Started using my own portable with CD player on a table outside. The speakers inside sound fine though. Interested to see what is recommended.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
While I understand we all have the desire to listen to "our music", please keep your volume down when in a campground. Other campers don't necessarily like "your music" and those of us that like peace and quiet don't like anyone's loud music.

Off Soapbox!
Yes I do think that is correct but as someone else stated, they sound like a jar of bees. My family and I like to listen to instrumental music quietly (I.E. Two cellos, Lindsey Stirling) while reading or eating. It is hard do appreciate quality music when there is a lack of quality in sound.
lpasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpasco View Post
Yes I do think that is correct but as someone else stated, they sound like a jar of bees. My family and I like to listen to instrumental music quietly (I.E. Two cellos, Lindsey Stirling) while reading or eating. It is hard do appreciate quality music when there is a lack of quality in sound.
Plus some boondock. The only neighbors are the animals that may wander around.

Mine are mounted in the aluminum skirting. I think some type of larger box would have to be built behind the speaker location than what is there factory. I have glanced at them, but have other projects that I want to get done first.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #6

Posting so I can follow. Was thinking that any good marine/automotive speaker would do, although these will probably see more weather than the back deck of a car.

ETA - actually, I expect a good speaker would be playable at a lower volume. You don't have to turn it up so loud to hear over the bees...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #7

Quote:
The outside speakers on my 2016 287BHSW sound like crap. Has anyone replaced theirs? What ones did you use? Did you need an adapter due to the thickness? Thanks
Did you replace your speakers?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:22 AM   #8

All the speakers in our 212QB sound like crap. In fact, all campers I have ever been around have very poor quality speakers. We use a quality Bluetooth speaker with our mobile device(s). I think you would find the cost will be much less than replacing the OEM speaker with something of quality.

I think even with our BOSE BT speaker the cost is less than a quality replacement set of speakers for your OEM speakers. But if the BOSE is too expensive for you consider a JBL Charge 3 or many of the other good sounding BT speaker options for about $100 or less.

Steve
Mr.Bogdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:33 AM   #9

Replaced our two outdoor speakers with a marine type speaker. They fit the factory hole. Easy wiring. Just had to drill a couple of holes for the mounting screws because the hole pattern from the stock didn’t match the new ones. FYI mine are mounted in the aluminum skirt either side of the entry door.

Now I can blast the campground with Ozzy first thing in the morning. Neighbours seem to appreciate it.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Replaced our two outdoor speakers with a marine type speaker. They fit the factory hole. Easy wiring. Just had to drill a couple of holes for the mounting screws because the hole pattern from the stock didn’t match the new ones. FYI mine are mounted in the aluminum skirt either side of the entry door.

Now I can blast the campground with Ozzy first thing in the morning. Neighbours seem to appreciate it.
Awesome, I can park next to you and we can watch the football game on my 74” OLED outside T.V. with digital surround and subwoofer blaring. We can hoot and holler and cheer. Got to make sure half the campground can hear us because everybody loves feeling like they are parked outside a stadium on a peaceful evening camping.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Awesome, I can park next to you and we can watch the football game on my 74” OLED outside T.V. with digital surround and subwoofer blaring. We can hoot and holler and cheer. Got to make sure half the campground can hear us because everybody loves feeling like they are parked outside a stadium on a peaceful evening camping.
Good point. My experience with loud neighbors in the CG is that they are often overcompensating for short comings somewhere else. Sound is often paired with flashing light show and ground effects. This is no different than the outlandish holiday decorations some set up at their homes.

Agree with other poster, get a table top blue tooth speaker and place it close to where you are sitting outside. Better sound quality and happy neighbors.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #12

Quick, easy job. Get a pair of marine/RV speakers and they should swap easily. Measure for sure, most common outdoor is 5.25", but some are 6.5". Use some clear sealant and you're all set. I bought a pair of Jensen 5.25" on Amazon for about $40. Definitely not a world class sound, but better than what was there.
Empty nesters - traded bunk beds for recliners

States camped in:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50318_3.gif
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Did you replace your speakers or use another solution?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #14

Speaker baffles

Most RV speakers are not installed in a "box" of any sort and the speaker cone has no resistance resulting in poor sound quality. Adding baffles and good quality speakers will definitely help.
Attached Thumbnails
x237xt32-f.jpg  
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bogdon View Post
All the speakers in our 212QB sound like crap. In fact, all campers I have ever been around have very poor quality speakers. We use a quality Bluetooth speaker with our mobile device(s). I think you would find the cost will be much less than replacing the OEM speaker with something of quality.

I think even with our BOSE BT speaker the cost is less than a quality replacement set of speakers for your OEM speakers. But if the BOSE is too expensive for you consider a JBL Charge 3 or many of the other good sounding BT speaker options for about $100 or less.

Steve
Mr. Bogdon is spot on. If your hearing is great, a BOSE is sweet. But, if your hearing is not that good, cheaper and good alternatives are available. It's nice to have a mobile option.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:42 AM   #16

Anyone tried using some of the better " Bluetooth " wireless speaker systems ?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Most RV speakers are not installed in a "box" of any sort and the speaker cone has no resistance resulting in poor sound quality. Adding baffles and good quality speakers will definitely help.
And keep them from getting soaked from tire spray. Thanks for the idea, as our outdoor speakers are just set in the wall with no protection.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #18

We don’t use the outside speakers often and they have deteriorated to the point they aren’t usable. Rather than replacing I bought a Bluetooth speaker and drive it from my iPhone. The sound quality is good tho the volume is not enough for a large area (perfect for the CG), plus it’s portable.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:24 AM   #19

On my way lol
boise49ers is offline   Reply With Quote