Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2024, 07:23 AM   #1

Replacement refrigerator

The Norcold refrigerator in my Jayflight 184BS is garbage. Didn't work when I purchased the RV; dealer replaced it with a new Norcold. This one won't cool. Is there a highly rated replacement refrigerator I can purchase (NOT from Norcold)?
pthompsonaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 10:48 AM   #2

eTrailer offers some RV Refrigerators and also Camping World.
Here are a few other places you may want to call. If they don't offer any, they could likely suggest who to call:
https://bontragers.com/rv-supplies-accessories/
https://www.jaycorvparts.com/
https://www.recpro.com/search.php?se...ection=product
https://www.lippert.com/everchill-11...lhh-2022302297
https://youngfartsrvparts.com/search...q=refrigerator
https://www.jayco.com/contact-towable-service/
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 10:50 AM   #3

Thank you!!
Old 06-17-2024, 11:00 AM   #4

Great camper. Welcome to Jayco Owner's Forum from New Hampshire.
If you don't have your owner's manual, check this link.
Let me know if you don't find the correct owner's manual.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 06:24 PM   #5

Pthom,

You’re not being very specific. Two Norcolds with the same problem? Is it really hot outside or something like that?

When it’s 90 or above our Norcold won’t cool either because the HX is boxed into a chimney with no way to move the hot air. We are heading out on a trip in a few days and it’s 106 today. I have the cover off and a fan blowing air directly up the chimney to move the hot air out and the fridge is 34 degrees and loaded.

Once we are on the road it works fine because we are moving and where we are headed its 85 degrees so it will work fine.

Ammonia requires removal of heat just like a mechanical air conditioner does and these RV manufactures don’t really do a good job in most cases to accommodate for this.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:33 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthompsonaz View Post
The Norcold refrigerator in my Jayflight 184BS is garbage. Didn't work when I purchased the RV; dealer replaced it with a new Norcold. This one won't cool. Is there a highly rated replacement refrigerator I can purchase (NOT from Norcold)?

If you are in Gilbert AZ and trying to get an RV fridge to cool in the summer forget it!

The threads on this issue are a dime a dozen. Try the search feature at the top of the page to read the threads on this topic. Some think this is not really an issue but then they don't live in hot country so have no clue.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:39 AM   #7

Thanks for this. I had a MiniMax whose fridge cooled quite well even in Arizona summers. Perhaps, as another comment mentioned, it has something to do with the way the fridge is vented.
Old 06-18-2024, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthompsonaz View Post
Thanks for this. I had a MiniMax whose fridge cooled quite well even in Arizona summers. Perhaps, as another comment mentioned, it has something to do with the way the fridge is vented.
The venting (or lack of) is the #1 problem in most RV’s whether 12V or ammonia. My neighbor just bought a new trailer with a 12V. He fired it up a day before heading out for a trip but it wasn’t cooling. I looked at the install and the entire rear of the fridge was completely sealed in with no place for the hot air to go.

At least with ammonia they put a chimney which can be retrofitted with a fan/s. Even with that, a family member I was camping with last year had fridge cooling issues. I could hear the factory installed optional fans but couldn’t see them, and couldn’t tell if they were actually moving air. I loaned him my temporary fan and the next morning it was cooling great.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:14 PM   #9
CAG

Again, research. This is a topic that is covered here in hundreds of threads and a Google search will bring up pages, upon pages of articles on it. Others with more knowledge, who are RV techs and builders have commented in numerous articles. The guesses you get on these forums are sometimes helpful and most time guesses.

https://www.exploringthelocallife.co...-refrigerator/

Old 06-18-2024, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Again, research. This is a topic that is covered here in hundreds of threads and a Google search will bring up pages, upon pages of articles on it. Others with more knowledge, who are RV techs and builders have commented in numerous articles. The guesses you get on these forums are sometimes helpful and most time guesses.

https://www.exploringthelocallife.co...-refrigerator/
Retired HVAC Service technician and Area Service Manager for Trane Technologies. No guessing here…

RV refrigerators are low tech and the instillation of them is usually done with zero knowledge or engineering. This is the reason there are so many articles and opinions by people on the internet. Unfortunately most know the RV industry but know little about refrigeration.

The link you posted is well intended, but it is a perfect example of someone who doesn’t really know what can make RV refrigerators perform poorly. Advising people to go to an RV certified technician (in the article) will likely result in more frustration because they don’t tell people it wasn’t installed correctly in the first place, assuming they recognize that is what the problem is.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:37 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
Retired HVAC Service technician and Area Service Manager for Trane Technologies. No guessing here…

RV refrigerators are low tech and the instillation of them is usually done with zero knowledge or engineering. This is the reason there are so many articles and opinions by people on the internet. Unfortunately most know the RV industry but know little about refrigeration.

The link you posted is well intended, but it is a perfect example of someone who doesn’t really know what can make RV refrigerators perform poorly. Advising people to go to an RV certified technician (in the article) will likely result in more frustration because they don’t tell people it wasn’t installed correctly in the first place, assuming they recognize that is what the problem is.

The fact is, and as I mentioned, there are volumes of them so while you have the expertise in residential, they have the expertise for RV and it is, as you say different. So my guess is they are closer to the problem than a residential AC tech. No one seems to be telling RV owners that their fridge is defective as much as it is a case of it is just the nature of the beast.

I mentioned this before that we owned a Heartland toy hauler, the problem was the same with all Heartlands and a common topic on their site. IMHO Heartland was a better build than Jayco. I can't say today but the fact is the refridge problem was the same to a T. It is the unit and in the case of those of us in the desert, they just don't do the job. And don't take offense but Newbe does say a lot when looking at some of these 30-40 year old issues that keep coming back up as the very same problem.

Would you not refer someone to a certified tech for a residential? Seems a bit strange not to send someone to a certified tech.?

Old 06-22-2024, 12:37 PM   #12

Agree with CAG.
It's always the simplest solution to simple problems that works best. Chimney. I took a hard look at my chimney set up for my Norcold. Spoke with an RV expert. He told me to streamline the chimney for best air flow. I did that. I cleaned up my chimney as best I could. Now my 12 year old Norcold works fine in the Arizona heat with no external fans. These fridges need air flow to move the heat out of the system. It's that simple. Lots of videos on YouTube regarding chimney air flow.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 02:15 PM   #13

Ferrion makes a very good 12 volt frig. Works just as good as my home frig. except for size.
1kpender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 05:59 AM   #14

Try this company:
https://jc-refrigeration.com/

The make replacement back panels for Norcolds. All of the cooling components are located on the back panel of the fridge. They pull the entire back off the fridge and replace it with their own design that they make right there in their shop.

I have a Norcold double door gas/electric fridge that never worked correctly. They replaced it with a dual compressor 12v assembly. I can now control the temperature in the freezer and refrigerator independently on 2 different thermostats.

I pulled my trailer into their shop at about 6am, went to breakfast, and by the time I came back they had replaced the back of my fridge with theirs. My fridge and freezer were cold. I was leaving before lunchtime. Best of all, I didn't have to wrestle the old fridge out the door or window and wrestle a new one back in. The refrigerator "box" and front door were still all factory original, so there were no issues with making a new fridge fit properly.

I've had it now for approximately 3 years and it works great.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 08:06 AM   #15

I got rid of my 12v refrige and installed a 110 unit from Lowes. The cost was 1/3 of the price and it works 100x better. what I did was install an inverter specifically to the refrigerator with a 3 way switch between the 110 circuit and the inverter. when I'm traveling I run 12v and when I hook up at a site I run shur power with the flip of a light switch. Works for me and it's cheaper and easier to replace if needed.
Jerseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge replacement